This one man team stuff.

RFC97

Morelos is a simply wonderful player. Everything he touched tonight turned to gold.

But, there's this narrative developing that we are a one man team, which I think is quite unfair.

Perhaps the reason we have missed him so much is because we have built our game around him so intensively, rather than one man doing it all himself per se.

There's 11 players, you can't be second in the highest tier of Scottish football and go on a very strong Euro run if you are a one man team.

We have a number of very good players in the team and it's unfair to overlook them.

We don't win many games when he doesn't play. He brings more to the team in an attacking sense than any other player imo.

Tbh he's just that good when he plays he drags everyone up a level or 2.

We have some good players in the squad but we rely massively on Alfredo.

He does so much in that lone roll from running at defenders, bullying them all.

Hes an absolute battling ram of a player who can score goals.

When he doesnt play its like missing out on 2 players as he does the work of 2 all on his own.

Defenders nightmare.

I just hope he doesnt get caught up in any moments that could see him sent off as we need him from now till end of season for a chance of a decent season.

Last edited:
For me, it’s not the night to argue otherwise.

Alfie is the best player in the country and our most important player by a mile.

Maybe some other guys can step up and our Candeias/Tav combo out right certainly helps.

But Morelos is simply untouchable as a player in this country just now.

He does so much in that lone roll from running at defenders, bullying them all.

Hes an absolute battling ram of a player who can score goals.

When he doesnt play its like missing out on 2 players as he does the work of 2 all on hos own.

Defenders nightmare.

I just hope he doesnt get caught up in any moments that could see him sent off as we need him from now till end of season for a chance of a decent season.

He genuinely does the work of two players. He's like a number 9 and a wide forward rolled into one.

He's our best player, so clearly we will miss him when he's out. That's why (imho) our enemies in the media have cranked the heat on him, to make sure he misses as many games as possible through unfair cards given purely on this media invented reputation (A few ex-Bears amongst them as well sadly.

I think we miss his hold up play and as a target man more than anything. We dont have anyone we can slot in there like for like, so when he's out a normally effective part of our game plan goes with him. We need to develop an effective back up for the games he does miss. Defoe is never going to be the same player for us, but can be deadly in the box with good service. He has not however been getting it.

I confess I dont know the answer but giving Kent a free role behind a pairing of Defoe & Lafferty and using the full backs for width, is a possibility i'd like to see us try out. At Auchenhowie first, of course...

Even when he’s not totally on it he makes a difference, you can see defenders are scared by him and are constantly niggling at him trying to get a bite. I watched him closely tonight and the number of times Dicker dunted him in the back off the ball was ridiculous.

Even when he’s not totally on it he makes a difference, you can see defenders are scared by him and are constantly niggling at him trying to get a bite. I watched him closely tonight and the number of times Dicker dunted him in the back off the ball was ridiculous.

Look at the way that big blimp Mckenna was totally frazzled by him as well.

Not to mention Boyata and Benkovic.

Not one defender in this league has contained him. He's as strong as a horse.

Our main man by a mile or ten
Which is the conundrum we have to face ,the better he plays the harder it will be to keep him at Ibrox - plus the vitriol he suffers at the hands of all Rangers haters borders on racism.

Alfredo is destined to go all the way - and rightly so !

This is so true.
It’s not just we’re so much better with him the opposition is worse as they are shit scared of him.

OP, it can be dressed up any way you like but when Alfredo’s not playing- we struggle to score/win matches!

Might not be because we are a “one man team” but it is a serious problem!

More often than not, he turns a an average pass into a good one, or turns defence into attack.

Watch us without him - we are shite.

He’s 90% of anything good we do going forward.

Our best player, mr consistent, he's on a different level to any one else, he's constantly pulls out the shitter and when he's not available, there really isn't any one else to step up and deliver.

I don't think it's the proper term for a team with a main striker, but Morelos does more than that; sometimes he helps creates his own chances, he creates chances for others, and he disrupts opponents defences. If he was merely a goalscorer then it wouldn't apply, but he could probably play anywhere on the park and make a difference. The skill he has is top drawer.

Think we’ve only won one game this season without Morelos in the side.

Without Morelos we look one dimensional that needs to be addressed in the summer.

I think last night couldn't strengthen the argument we're a one man team any further. Couldn't get a f*ckin sniff of goal in 180 minutes before last night. 6 minutes and wee Fredo's put it in the back of the net.

To get the best out of Morelos, Candeias and Kent need to be on their game. Candeias showed last night what he is capable of but there have been times this season when Morelos has been too isolated up front by poor service particularly when Candeias has had a poor game.

For me, it’s not the night to argue otherwise.

Alfie is the best player in the country and our most important player by a mile.

Maybe some other guys can step up and our Candeias/Tav combo out right certainly helps.

But Morelos is simply untouchable as a player in this country just now.

Tav/Candeias combo didn't help in the previous two matches.

Let them all talk that shite. He thrives on being the main man and that’s how we’re getting such good form! He’s a tremendous player!

Not the best time to bring this up in all honesty, we went 180 minutes without a goal in his absence, 6 minutes into a game against a Killie team we struggle against he puts us ahead. We are absolutely reliant on him being the number 9.

Think we’ve only won one game this season without Morelos in the side.

Without Morelos we look one dimensional that needs to be addressed in the summer.

The system we play suits Morelos and we don't have a player that can play the role he plays so we do look a bit one dimensional when he's not there. Upto the manager to find other systems and ways of playing that gets us goals without Morelos because he won't be here next season.

We had 18 attempts on goal last night same as Saturday,on Saturday only one was on target last night we had 8 on target.
When he is not playing our goal threat dries up proving we rely on him two much,we have a problem with goal threats from other players a example is Arfield missing two simple chances,our goal threat from midfield is about non existent which is a worry going forward.

I think in the context of winning trophies we are a one man team. With Alfie in the team we can win them, without Alfie it is highly unlikely.

We're not far off it tbh. Not sure the day after a 5-0 thumping when he's scored 4 and missed the previous two 0-0s strengthens your argument much.

If he doesn't get suspended this season, and Gerrard doesn't change formation to accomodate Defoe against Killie, I think we win the league. We'd have 7 more points than we do now by my reckoning. Perhaps 8 as I think we equalise against Aberdeen if he doesnt get sent off at Ibrox.

Morelos is a simply wonderful player. Everything he touched tonight turned to gold.

But, there's this narrative developing that we are a one man team, which I think is quite unfair.

Perhaps the reason we have missed him so much is because we have built our game around him so intensively, rather than one man doing it all himself per se.

There's 11 players, you can't be second in the highest tier of Scottish football and go on a very strong Euro run if you are a one man team.

We have a number of very good players in the team and it's unfair to overlook them.
It is unfair as we do have good players in the team and squad but Alfie is flying!!!

Side note even though he is flying easily best player in the league, he has no chance of player of the year due to the agenda against him

The vast majority of training drills we run will be done to build a portfolio of plays which lead to Morelos getting the ball in places where he can score goals - of course things will look of when he isn't there.

There's no doubt when he's not there it's clearly noticable,I think having Arfield and Jack back in also helped us to step up,but there is no one like him and it says much more of players mentality when they are trying to wind him up. Solid as a rock the amount of fifty- fifties he wins is amazing,some you think he's no chance of winning and yet he does. Good to hear the gaffer wanting him to stay longer as well,I hope it's the case,much will depend on Alfredo himself. He won't find a better mentor than the gaffer to bring his game on.

When you've got a player who wrestles the ball off two defenders and scores regularly they are undoubtably going to make a massive difference to our win ratio.

Our team is geared up to play into a very physical, prolific lone striker. The issue is when Alfie is not available we don't have the players to replace him like for like or the creativity which is needed when playing with a different system.

IF we can add more goals to our other forward players I feel we will be far less reliant on him.

Although when you have a potentially 35 goal per season striker not playing you are always going to notice the difference.

Back