This really is a wonderful watch! Ian Ferguson - True Blue!

Fergie also read the riot act in the dressing room after the 5-1 game against them in 1998.

Advocaat and the Dutch players sat there stunned as Fergie told them in no uncertain terms exactly what that fixture means to Rangers.

What a player on his day. How we could do with a player of his drive and determination now.

I went to Whitehill and after school heard he was in the Alexandra Bar on Duke Street. I went in and asked him to sign my jotter. He nearly fell off the chair laughing at me saying he hadn’t heard the word “jotter” in years!!

The things you remember when you meet your hero!

I enjoyed watching that and he was a favourite of mine back in the day. I went to his Q&A around Christmas time in the Louden and it was excellent, a couple of stories you could tell were embellished with John Brown MC'ing, but all good fun and brought back some great memories of games.

Imagine if one of our players scored and ran towards the Aberdeen fans blowing kisses....:D:D:D

What a player on his day. How we could do with a player of his drive and determination now.

I went to Whitehill and after school heard he was in the Alexandra Bar on Duke Street. I went in and asked him to sign my jotter. He nearly fell off the chair laughing at me saying he hadn’t heard the word “jotter” in years!!

The things you remember when you meet your hero!

Heh heh. Great post.

1988-89 summed Fergie up for me. When we were cheated out of another treble in the Scottish Cup final, the players showed the fans their appreciation at full-time, Fergie could not hide his pain. One of my favourite Rangers ever.

Watched this last night it is very good. I didn't realise he had won so many trophies and I also thought he was out longer with his illness which if I remember correctly from the time they thought it was tonsillitis. As everyone says he'd be one of the first picks in your side.

Spot on, there was a time when I could name most of the players in the top flight by pictures (like Fenners £10s), but now I don't even recognise many names for "them".
Living down south means I'd barely recognise most spl players. I watched Scotland the other night and had no idea who a few of the players were!

Fantastic servent and a fantastic footballer. Legend is banded about too often but Fergie is certainly one of ours!

As stated above, we could really do with him in the team at the moment.

16jqblt.png

I loved the guy. He was the kind of player who not only had ability, but heart, he’d run through brick walls for you and also played the psychological side of the game to perfection and got under the skin of opponents.

Watch the way he winds up Di Fanio at the piggery in 97, it’s hilarious, he had him taking the bait all game until he completely lost it at the end.

I also loved when the ball was bouncing out of play near the halfway line and instead of letting it just go out on it’s own he rattled a half volley full force right into the 19th Century Terrorist hordes in front of him :D

Hero

Fergie done a Q&A at our club a few weeks ago and it was the best we have had. His stories are first class and span a great period for the club and involve many famous Gers players and rival players. He tells it straight, warts and all. If ever you get a chance to have him guest at your functions I would strongly recommend it.
He was voted player of the year back in 89 by our supporters club and turned up at the venue a week before
Fergie done a Q&A at our club a few weeks ago and it was the best we have had. His stories are first class and span a great period for the club and involve many famous Gers players and rival players. He tells it straight, warts and all. If ever you get a chance to have him guest at your functions I would strongly recommend it.
Fergie was our player of the year back in 88 and was invited to our supporters club dance but turned up a week early at the venue to find it was a country & western night:D.
I will always remember when he called our house( my dad was orginising the night and had met Fergie at Ibrox) I answered and couldn't believe it was him and my dad howling for hours when he told him.
I'm sure a few bears wore cowboy hats on the actual night to wind him up
There is only one Fergie

I think it says something about how good he was that he remains St Mirren's biggest ever transfer fee nearly 30 years after being sold. As said above he comes to the club here in Perth and is a true Bear. He lived the dream.

He lived the dream and disappointed nobody.

He actually lived up to the dream where so many fell short.

As a boy I dreamed nightly of playing for The Rangers - now I am too old to have that dream.

But when I did - it was of having a career like Fergie's or Bomber's, but leaving the club as a Legend like those 2 Rangers would have been the icing of the cake.

To be thought of so fondly by other Bears when your career has ended must be an absolutely unparalleled feeling of joy and pride.

Perhaps a bit controversial ......

We signed a fantastic player

A couple of St Mirren following mates always say he is the best post war player they ever had...

But here is the rub....

The guy was a pacey skilful footballer suited to playing just behind the centre forward (or forwards back in the day)
See where Pera is 'meant to be playing' well that is where Fergie should have always been.
But you see he could also tackle and was strong so Souness thought.....you know what Fergie Im going to make you the new me !!!!

So for the first few seasons Fergie tried to be a centre midfielder in the Souness mould...when in truth he could never be that given he had far more attacking attributes.
I argued with many at the time who were slating him.

A great guy and a great footballer but I think he would have been a world star had we given him the attacking role his skills required and deserved.

Great viewing, and a great Rangers man.

Like Bomber, I loved Fergie when he played for us. A real Rangers man on and off the park.

Great Rangers man.

Exactly that my friend.

Perhaps a bit controversial ......

We signed a fantastic player

A couple of St Mirren following mates always say he is the best post war player they ever had...

But here is the rub....

The guy was a pacey skilful footballer suited to playing just behind the centre forward (or forwards back in the day)
See where Pera is 'meant to be playing' well that is where Fergie should have always been.
But you see he could also tackle and was strong so Souness thought.....you know what Fergie Im going to make you the new me !!!!

So for the first few seasons Fergie tried to be a centre midfielder in the Souness mould...when in truth he could never be that given he had far more attacking attributes.
I argued with many at the time who were slating him.

A great guy and a great footballer but I think he would have been a world star had we given him the attacking role his skills required and deserved.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to hear Fergie's take on that? Interesting post. I've suggested to David Edgar that he is the next H and H pod interview. How good would it be to ask him some of the points on this thread?

Then after him.... Bomber. :)

What a player. What a man. What a Ranger.

A true Rangers man who would never shit on the club like many ex- so called Rangers men have done.

Loved watching Fergie. Outstanding.

Hard to read this - its a DR article and I don't want to give it the hits - but the bold section gives an insight of his Blue Bloodedness:

Rangers hero Arthur Numan recalls Ian Ferguson slaughtering stars after thrashing against Celtic
THE former Dutch star only wishes the Light Blues could still call on the fire and brimstone oratory of the ex-Ibrox hardman to inspire them in 2016.

THE last time Rangers lost 5-1 at Celtic Park they went on to win the SPL by six points.

Arthur Numan fears they will do well to even keep in touch with their arch rivals at the top of the table this season.

The former Dutch star only wishes the Light Blues could still call on the fire and brimstone oratory of Ian Ferguson to inspire them in 2016.

Numan all but echoed the calls of former boss Ally McCoist, who claimed last week it could be three years before Rangers challenge for the title again.

Numan staggered out of his Old Firm debut, dazed and confused, but Rangers were still seven points ahead at the top of the table, despite the humbling in November 1998.

His team also included players such as Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Barry Ferguson, Jorg Albertz and Rod Wallace, quality Rangers fans would give their eye teeth to see in their side today.

Lubo Moravcik and Henrik Larsson inspired Celtic to one of their finest and most emphatic Old Firm victories, but it was the reaction of Ferguson that Numan remembers best.

He said: “Ian wasn’t in the starting line-up, but came on for the last 16 minutes. Within a minute he picked up a yellow card - I think he tried to kick as many green and white players as he could!

“After the game he came into the dressing room and went absolutely ballistic and mental for five minutes.

“Advocaat was standing there and he didn’t say a thing. He left Ian to say his stuff and he told us: ‘You f***ing foreigners don’t have a clue what it means to get beat by them.’

“For him, it meant more to beat Celtic four times a year than winning the league. I had a discussion with him. I said we had lost 5-1 but were still seven points ahead and the most important thing was to win the league.

“He said it wasn’t, he wanted to win four times. I then realised what it actually meant to come to Scotland and be involved in an Old Firm game.

-----------------------------------

Simply The Best eh?

Hard to read this - its a DR article and I don't want to give it the hits - but the bold section gives an insight of his Blue Bloodedness:

Rangers hero Arthur Numan recalls Ian Ferguson slaughtering stars after thrashing against Celtic
THE former Dutch star only wishes the Light Blues could still call on the fire and brimstone oratory of the ex-Ibrox hardman to inspire them in 2016.

THE last time Rangers lost 5-1 at Celtic Park they went on to win the SPL by six points.

Arthur Numan fears they will do well to even keep in touch with their arch rivals at the top of the table this season.

The former Dutch star only wishes the Light Blues could still call on the fire and brimstone oratory of Ian Ferguson to inspire them in 2016.

Numan all but echoed the calls of former boss Ally McCoist, who claimed last week it could be three years before Rangers challenge for the title again.

Numan staggered out of his Old Firm debut, dazed and confused, but Rangers were still seven points ahead at the top of the table, despite the humbling in November 1998.

His team also included players such as Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Barry Ferguson, Jorg Albertz and Rod Wallace, quality Rangers fans would give their eye teeth to see in their side today.

Lubo Moravcik and Henrik Larsson inspired Celtic to one of their finest and most emphatic Old Firm victories, but it was the reaction of Ferguson that Numan remembers best.

He said: “Ian wasn’t in the starting line-up, but came on for the last 16 minutes. Within a minute he picked up a yellow card - I think he tried to kick as many green and white players as he could!

“After the game he came into the dressing room and went absolutely ballistic and mental for five minutes.

“Advocaat was standing there and he didn’t say a thing. He left Ian to say his stuff and he told us: ‘You f***ing foreigners don’t have a clue what it means to get beat by them.’

“For him, it meant more to beat Celtic four times a year than winning the league. I had a discussion with him. I said we had lost 5-1 but were still seven points ahead and the most important thing was to win the league.

“He said it wasn’t, he wanted to win four times. I then realised what it actually meant to come to Scotland and be involved in an Old Firm game.

-----------------------------------

Simply The Best eh?
Love it. Oh to have a Fergie these days. I have serious man love for the guy.

Bumping because last night Arthur Numan spoke at great lengths about Fergie.

He confirmed that he was the biggest Rangers Man he had ever met.

Recounted the story of how Dick stood to the side to allow Fergie to rip the team to shreds for"not caring enough" when playing against the Scum.

"I'd rather beat those bastards 4 times a season than win the league!"

Arthur confirmed.... Having some one with the strength of character of Ferguson is what our great club is missing these days.

Don't we know it! :(

Back