This seasons Europa league run

RTM91

Official Ticketer
Bit of a sentimental one here but I miss it a lot already. This seasons EL run was fucking brilliant wasn’t it. Even taking into account the disappointment of losing that final & letting the league title slip, I’ve never felt so gutted for a season to end.
Scoring goals for fun at home in every round was magic and the elation I felt at full time to the backdrop of Sunset Bros - I’m feeling it might never be matched (for me).
I think because of all of this I’ll be more gutted to see goldson go, same with players like Aribo, Kent, Kamara, Morelos etc, even if the right money comes in for them. That core of players are synonymous with those moments and the joy that they brought.
I was lucky enough to have a ticket for the final - I wasn’t even in Seville for 24 hours but the circumstances that led us there even make that place feel a bit special now as well. Great memories anyway. I fucking love Rangers - always.

It’s light years away from the mindset of the awful dross we face in the league. Add in the dreadful (corrupt) officials lapping up the likes of Hearts diving all over the place, whilst we get booted to fck it’s not much fun to watch.

Bit of a sentimental one here but I miss it a lot already. This seasons EL run was fucking brilliant wasn’t it. Even taking into account the disappointment of losing that final & letting the league title slip, I’ve never felt so gutted for a season to end.
Scoring goals for fun at home in every round was magic and the elation I felt at full time to the backdrop of Sunset Bros - I’m feeling it might never be matched (for me).
I think because of all of this I’ll be more gutted to see goldson go, same with players like Aribo, Kent, Kamara, Morelos etc, even if the right money comes in for them. That core of players are synonymous with those moments and the joy that they brought.
I was lucky enough to have a ticket for the final - I wasn’t even in Seville for 24 hours but the circumstances that led us there even make that place feel a bit special now as well. Great memories anyway. I fucking love Rangers - always.
I’m very excited for the new season. Just as long as we don’t start next seasons Euro run like we did in 2008.

The difference this time around is we’re guaranteed group stage football.

Worried that I have a taste for a Euro run like that now that I'm just setting myself up for massive disappointment over the next few years with the amount of expectation.

Fingers crossed for another next season as it really was fvcking brilliant.

This is what gives me the fear as well.

I can't ever remember us being this consistently good in Europe as we have been for the past 4 years. Normally I would have expected one calamitous stint in there.

But it just doesn't seem to be coming, and even worst case scenario we still have 6 EL group games to look forward to next year, and with the 0.25 co-efficient season to drop off as well, we can only go up.

Worried that I have a taste for a Euro run like that now that I'm just setting myself up for massive disappointment over the next few years with the amount of expectation.

Fingers crossed for another next season as it really was fvcking brilliant.

Do not worry bud we have been building to this and we will expand on it. We may not make the final again next year but latter stages we will. We will dream again :)

It's just so refreshing from the domestic stuff. Cowardly refs, awful standards, plastic pitches etc. The European games have also surpassed the OF games for me now. They are the ones I look forward to the most now. Scottish football is toxic.
Agree mate

It's just so refreshing from the domestic stuff. Cowardly refs, awful standards, plastic pitches etc. The European games have also surpassed the OF games for me now. They are the ones I look forward to the most now. Scottish football is toxic.

I must admit, watching us compete on the European stage has only amplified in comparison the outright thuggery we face week in, week out in the SPFL. These hammer-throwing teams would have numerous red and yellow cards.

I'll never forget walking out of Ibrox after leipzig, knowing that I didn't have to cancel the flights I booked after Braga. Seeing the sellers outside Ibrox punting sombreros for fun, sheer elation, singing all the way past the wee Rangers club. The trip to Seville, 4 hour drive to Manchester, meeting so many bears and hearing about their trip. The blazing sun, seeing our badge on trams and street posts in seville. What an experience.

That’s the thing, I should be revelling in it, but I’m not. I kinda knew this might happen the deeper we went in the tournament. It felt like if we didn’t win each round the previous achievements would be meaningless. This of course culminated in reaching the final. Had we won id still be partying, but since we lost, no matter how cruelly, I can’t bear to think about it anymore. It’s like a once in a lifetime chance we passed, I just can’t reconcile that. :(

yeah it’s quite hollow feeling on the Thursday morning - I remember saying to my mate that’s it all over. Was so buzzing all the way through and then being in Seville and the match etc. just felling like it might not happen again feels horrendous

yeah it’s quite hollow feeling on the Thursday morning - I remember saying to my mate that’s it all over. Was so buzzing all the way through and then being in Seville and the match etc. just felling like it might not happen again feels horrendous
Felt like that in Manchester as well and here we are only 14 years later

That’s the thing, I should be revelling in it, but I’m not. I kinda knew this might happen the deeper we went in the tournament. It felt like if we didn’t win each round the previous achievements would be meaningless. This of course culminated in reaching the final. Had we won id still be partying, but since we lost, no matter how cruelly, I can’t bear to think about it anymore. It’s like a once in a lifetime chance we passed, I just can’t reconcile that. :(
This is the way I feel too.

Still gutted. Couldn't even enjoy the Scottish Cup final as was still so down. By next season i will be raring to go again!

It was incredible and I feel very privileged to have been able to attend matches against 7 of the teams we played in the EL this season. The positive thing is that, looking at how European competition is structured now, we are almost guaranteed to have group stage football of some kind at the very least for several years to come. Of course, this is largely down to our efforts in recent seasons. Exciting times ahead.

Those night will live long in the memory, Leipzig being the best ever since I started going to games.

We need to improve the starting 11 and enjoy every game the way we have this year.

I'm feeling worse as each day goes past , absolutely gutted it's came to an end .
Im 49 and for me it was truly the best few months ever supporting the team.

I'm trying to feel positive about getting into the Champions League group stages but I think it'll be a while before we get anywhere near what we just had unfortunately

The amount of young bears with kit on that Wednesday was a joy to see

Lots of youth lads and girls all proud and singing these lot are the next generation
Definitely mate
A few years ago there wasn't many young ones with the co!ours on due to the boycott and us being piss poor

One of my favourite nights at Ibrox was the rapid Vienna game ,I was in the Broomloan with my grown up kids ,the joy and delight on the young ones faces was just brilliant ,because they hadn't seen Rangers do that before ,a lot of them had just seen the barren years and not seen or felt an atmosphere like that

I think our players love playing in Europe as they know they are playing against actual footballers and not hammer throwers coming in with wild tackles and Refs in general are much fairer when we play in Europe.

Felt like that in Manchester as well and here we are only 14 years later
This

The modern Rangers are now an established European team again.

And with a chance of dropping into another tournament from the one we first participated if we didn't qualify ,there is more chances of doing it again and reaching another final

This is how I felt after Manchester but not this time.

Of course I was absolutely gutted after the penalties, and been replaying so many what ifs in my head since, but I couldn't be more proud of the team for what they have achieved.

Feel like we're at the beginning of something special and there's more glory nights to follow.

Our consistency in Europe has been incredible. I’ve been saying for a while that it isn’t sustainable and eventually we’ll have a bad season.

I thought this season was it after a really bad first couple of months in Europe. GVB came in, saved the campaign and gave us what is now 4 very good seasons in a row, albeit the first of those 4 is good relative to our position at that time.

If we go into EL next season, and get a decent draw in the group stage it’s imperative we actually win the group and avoid the play off round against the CL drop outs , putting us right into the mast 16

As a club we need to be figuring out what makes this group of players great in Europe and making sure it’s a feature of any future squads. Should never go back to the way it used to be.

Perform in Europe consistently and the domestic trophies will follow. We should never just accept being better than Celtic.

Rangers' co-efficient ranking,
17/18 - 265th
18/19 - 206th
19/20 - 94th
20/21 - 52nd
21/22 - 33rd
22/23 - 28th (starting position, based on 4 seasons)
23/24 - 19th (current position, based on 3 seasons)
24/25 - 14th (current position, based on 2 seasons)

Included the last couple there just because it emphasises how well we have done in Europe.

If we go into EL next season, and get a decent draw in the group stage it’s imperative we actually win the group and avoid the play off round against the CL drop outs , putting us right into the mast 16
I think it's more likely that Rangers could be the CL dropout team, and beat any 2nd placed EL group team to get into the last 16.:cool:p

we have to be really proud of Europe this season

qualifiers always come to early for us and Alfie shouldve been back for 1st Malmo game

I agree mate but EF weren't as good as the teams we beat previously. That's what I find frustrating.
I get what your saying but EF thought thier name was on the cup aswell. They are a good team who went undefeated through the comp. I think they will get to Champions league last 16 next year.

The final was a neutral venue and we had a few things went against us in the tifo, water etc etc to recreate an Ibrox like atmosphere.

Our away record shows that we done amazing to stay with EF and nearly even won it in 2nd ET.

This years away record

Malmo lost
Alashkert draw
Slavia lost
Brondby draw
Lyon draw
Dortmund win
Red star lost
Braga lost
Liepzig lost

I think Gios tactics were spot on and we done everything we could to give us the best possible chance.

It was a great run, let's hope we can produce another good Euro run next season but win the League. We need to hit the ground running with good signings, any stuttering and the pressure will build on Gio, rightly or wrongly

GameDateTournamentRoundGroundOpponentScore1Report
516 September 2009UEFA Champions LeagueGSA GermanyVfB StuttgartGermany1–1show
929 September 2009UEFA Champions LeagueGSHSevillaSpain1–4show
1220 October 2009UEFA Champions LeagueGSHUnirea UrziceniRomania1–4show
154 November 2009UEFA Champions LeagueGSAR RomaniaUnirea UrziceniRomania1–1show
1824 November 2009UEFA Champions LeagueGSHVfB StuttgartGermany0–2show
219 December 2009UEFA Champions LeagueGSA SpainSevillaSpain0–1show

Bit of a hangover from Europe in 2009-10...

TBF, a repeat means we get through the qualifiers so it would be hard to be too despondent

I get what your saying but EF thought thier name was on the cup aswell. They are a good team who went undefeated through the comp. I think they will get to Champions league last 16 next year.

The final was a neutral venue and we had a few things went against us in the tifo, water etc etc to recreate an Ibrox like atmosphere.

Our away record shows that we done amazing to stay with EF and nearly even won it in 2nd ET.

This years away record

Malmo lost
Alashkert draw
Slavia lost
Brondby draw
Lyon draw
Dortmund win
Red star lost
Braga lost
Liepzig lost

I think Gios tactics were spot on and we done everything we could to give us the best possible chance.

It was a great run, let's hope we can produce another good Euro run next season but win the League. We need to hit the ground running with good signings, any stuttering and the pressure will build on Gio, rightly or wrongly
Great post

GameDateTournamentRoundGroundOpponentScore1Report
516 September 2009UEFA Champions LeagueGSA GermanyVfB StuttgartGermany1–1show
929 September 2009UEFA Champions LeagueGSHSevillaSpain1–4show
1220 October 2009UEFA Champions LeagueGSHUnirea UrziceniRomania1–4show
154 November 2009UEFA Champions LeagueGSAR RomaniaUnirea UrziceniRomania1–1show
1824 November 2009UEFA Champions LeagueGSHVfB StuttgartGermany0–2show
219 December 2009UEFA Champions LeagueGSA SpainSevillaSpain0–1show

Bit of a hangover from Europe in 2009-10...

TBF, a repeat means we get through the qualifiers so it would be hard to be too despondent
That campaign was just utter shite wasn’t it?

Only decent memories are of Stuttgart away. Still feel boggin’ from that Romania trip. And Seville was fine during the day until the robocops came at night.

Back