Thomas Cook ceased trading

Dirty bastards. Were they still taking people's money this weekend?
They would have been taking money over the weekend. No one in the travel club will have lost anything as the registration was open until Wednesday, before the successful bears would be informed. Just wondering if the club will use someone else for Porto or will everyone just have to go independent.

Think I read somthing that they are 2 different companies in this side of it is ok while other side is fucked I suppose we will find out today what is going to happin

I’d imagine it would be too late to get another partner in, maybe a couple of one off deals but it would be difficult.

I’ve booked up to go to Mexico with the fuckers next year so that’s not happening now!

Travel club used to take money upon booking. Whilst all money is protected, it takes time to refund etc.

A new partner will be obtained, or possibly go in house if we have the balls.

Think I read somthing that they are 2 different companies in this side of it is ok while other side is fucked I suppose we will find out today what is going to happin
The aircraft/flights side of the business is profitable it's the rest if the business that's loss making.

150,000 people stranded on Holidays. How many of them are realistically going to be abke to get themselves home?

The airline and the travel agent all come, or came, under the Thomas Cook banner. All sides of the business have ceased trading as of today.

150,000 people stranded on Holidays. How many of them are realistically going to be abke to get themselves home?
They will all get home. ATOL protected .. the shadow airline set up by the CAA will fly to the same inbound schedules as Thomas Cook.. taking over their slots. People will basically come home on the same day as originally planned .. hence the operation starts today for 14 days and that brings home all people booked on 7 and 14 day holidays. If someone is away and they booked a package they will be fine. All future bookings cancelled .

They will all get home. ATOL protected .. the shadow airline set up by the CAA will fly to the same inbound schedules as Thomas Cook.. taking over their slots. People will basically come home on the same day as originally planned .. hence the operation starts today for 14 days and that brings home all people booked on 7 and 14 day holidays. If someone is away and they booked a package they will be fine. All future bookings cancelled .

this^

there will be some disruption (flights to Manchester landing at Birmingham etc) but in the grand scheme of things folk might be delayed a bit but they will get home.

They were moving other planes into position to deal with this over the weekend apparently.

I’d imagine it would be too late to get another partner in, maybe a couple of one off deals but it would be difficult.

I’ve booked up to go to Mexico with the fuckers next year so that’s not happening now!
Same paid the best part of 2grand so far probably wait months to get money back

Holiday to Mexico on Saturday fucked, gutted

What’s really gutting is over 9000 people in the UK have woke up to not having a job. Over 20,000 across Europe in total.

That’s before the knock effect hits hoteliers, transport companies, airport staff etc.

Over 500 High Street premises gone as well.

Thomas Cook were a cluster %^*&, have been for over a decade but once again the banks have pushed a company over the edge.

What’s really gutting is over 9000 people in the UK have woke up to not having a job. Over 20,000 across Europe in total.

That’s before the knock effect hits hoteliers, transport companies, airport staff etc.

Thomas Cook were a cluster %^*&, have been for over a decade but once again the banks have pushed a company over the edge.
I take it you haven’t booked a future flight or holiday through them then?

Travel club used to take money upon booking. Whilst all money is protected, it takes time to refund etc.

A new partner will be obtained, or possibly go in house if we have the balls.
Finding a plane could be a problem as the CAA have scooped up some to repatriate TC passengers.

I take it you haven’t booked a future flight or holiday through them then?

I work in the travel industry. I’m in work already and probably will be at midnight trying to rearrange existing bookings, set up refunds and contact people in resort.

It’s shit, but it’s worse for the person I know who’s worked 26 years for a company and now is worried how she’ll pay her mortgage next month.

This company was totally out of control. Going through various suppliers before providing a product. Banks should of pulled plug years ago. Cooks had an unfair advantage over the rest of the market . The money lent to them was outrageous . They were using next years holiday payments to support todays business. Very very sad for good staff . But thomas cook were loaned money to compete with other smaller agents.. they put many agents out of business in recent years. It was an unfair playing field . The big bully has just been bullied. All the bullshit that was spread . All the crap about Thomas Cook Sport being a seperate company. One quick check and people could of seen it was part of the group. Diabolical that people encouraged to book on Porto with a company that last week filed for bankruptcy protection in the USA . VERY VERY SAD FOR STAFF. BUT ALSO SPARE A THOUGHT FOR THE VERY GOOD SMALL TRAVEL AGENTS THAT THIS MONSTER OF A COMPANY PUT OUT OF BUSINESS . The banks gave them preferential treatment that allowed them to destroy small operators .

Mate, they owed the banks £1.7 BILLION. Only Thomas Cool are to blame.

Forgot the travel club folk are out of jobs

People are still allowed to be frustrated at the situation. Bears spend a huge amount of their wage following the club, getting a late refund for Porto whilst having to stump up money for a new partner will leave people short, it’s perfectly legitimate to have a gripe over that.

Finding a plane could be a problem as the CAA have scooped up some to repatriate TC passengers.

The CAA have a contingency plan in place and had already secured over 40 aircraft yesterday to begin repatriation. If you booked a TC holiday or flight, you will be brought back to the UK.

People are still allowed to be frustrated at the situation. Bears spend a huge amount of their wage following the club, getting a late refund for Porto whilst having to stump up money for a new partner will leave people short, it’s perfectly legitimate to have a gripe over that.
Nobody’s had money taken

Mate, they owed the banks £1.7 BILLION. Only Thomas Cool are to blame.

A rescue deal was in place with Fosun. Take over talks have been ongoing since March. It was waiting approval and the banks, led by RBS, demanded a contingency fund of over £200 million on top of the £900 million that was in place. That killed the Fosun deal and subsequently TC.

Like I said, they were a cluster %^*& but had gotten out of a worse position before. Just a shit day all round for the travel industry, the UK High Street and around 600,000 people who’s holidays are fucked.

Feels like we just can’t get a break sometimes. I’m sure the club will get a contingency plan in place, but so typical that we make it into Europe again against the odds before this farce makes it harder to actually get there and support the team. Just one of these things I guess.

Aye, and what happened when the banks required £955BILLION?
Sorry but a ridiculous comparison. Banks were holding pension funds, charity money , peoples life savings .. systems to pay nhs wages .. do I need to go on ? Saving the banks was in National Interests . Saving a travel company is not. In the last 10 years Tomas Cook Directors awarded themselves millions of pounds in bonuses. Doubtless took part in many a booze up with bankers after each extra £100 million loan was agreed . This was a very very good company ruined by bad management and bad ethics over at least the last 10 years

The official team flights were also organised by Thomas Cook Sport

Young Boys only a week a bit away...

The TC Porto trip registration was open till Wednesday 25th.Anyone that had “booked” their booking was only pending.Their bookings will now NOT be processed,so no one will have paid anything.

Last edited:
Back