Thomas Jefferson Quote

usbear

“I’m a great believer in luck, I find the harder I work, the more I have it”

I was thinking about the amount of times this season other sides have hit the woodwork against us. They could easily have been goals that painted a very different picture.

The above quote came to mind.

How often in the past 3 years have the fine margins gone against us? It’s a very welcome change but a reminder that 55 is not in the bag by any means.
Long may the hard work continue!

I was thinking about the amount of times this season other sides have hit the woodwork against us. They could easily have been goals that painted a very different picture.

How often in the past 3 years have the fine margins gone against us? It’s a very welcome change but a reminder that 55 is not in the bag by any means.
Didn't Gary Player say that exact same quote.

Morning USB,you do know there is no such thing as luck.:p

Had a way with words did TJ as the Declaration of Independence and his writings would attest.

I tend to the belief though that the harder his slaves worked then the more he had.

Though the OP's quote is very much applicable to us at the moment.

Had a way with words did TJ as the Declaration of Independence and his writings would attest.

I tend to the belief though that the harder his slaves worked then the more he had.

By way of Bristol probably ;)

Likely apocryphal, but supposedly Napoleon was once advised to promote one of his commanders. The other generals spoke at length about how effective this officer was and how deserving he was of promotion, to which Napoleon merely responded “ah, but is he lucky?”

The more I practice the luckier I get, I think he was being sarcastic:)
That's exactly what he said and I don't think it was sarcasm.

A spectator told him he was lucky when a putt just dropped in. I think his reply was a substitute for a rap in the teeth.

Steve Davis snooker player said similar after someone talked about a “lucky shot” he said “yeah, and the more I practice the luckier I get.”

A relative of mine, born in Ulster in 1750, was appointed the County Surveyor of Washington County in 1775 , by the then Governor Thomas Jefferson who was also a trained surveyor. I am sure they would have talked about my relatives home country and the area in which he was born. A useless piece of information for a first post! but shows the influence of the ' Ulster Scots'. My relative graduated from the William and Mary University in Virginia. Says it all really!

A relative of mine, born in Ulster in 1750, was appointed the County Surveyor of Washington County in 1775 , by the then Governor Thomas Jefferson who was also a trained surveyor. I am sure they would have talked about my relatives home country and the area in which he was born. A useless piece of information for a first post! but shows the influence of the ' Ulster Scots'. My relative graduated from the William and Mary University in Virginia. Says it all really!
I've been to the college in Williamsburg, lovely part of the country

Speaking to a tour guide at a replica of the first settlement, on hearing my accent said "I grew up with a picture of John Knox on our livingroom wall"

"One would think anyone that can go faster than Usain Bolt would always hit their target but it's not always the case?"

S. Perm

Last edited:
Ask any gambler about luck, You've got to know when to hold 'em Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run, You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table.
Ya bandit that will be playing in my head for the rest of the night.

:)):)):))

Owen_Jones_2016.jpg

If these attempts at goal had been on target and our goalie(s) had saved them, would that still be luck?

Much harder to get a touch on shots that are off target.

For example the one that came off the bar against Standard Liege, McGregor looked to have it covered if it had been any lower.

Therefore it's a bit of a false equivalence.

Likely apocryphal, but supposedly Napoleon was once advised to promote one of his commanders. The other generals spoke at length about how effective this officer was and how deserving he was of promotion, to which Napoleon merely responded “ah, but is he lucky?”
Pretty sure napoleons quote was “give me a lucky general over a competent one anytime”

Aye but what school did YOU go to?:cool:
Only kiddin nice piece of family history.

The right type!! My primary school teacher was a WW2 Commando who used to make us sing 'Derry's Walls' every Friday afternoon! Not a man to be messed with! and you're making me show my age here!
Why? Was he a serving WW2 commando at the time?

That's exactly what he said and I don't think it was sarcasm.

A spectator told him he was lucky when a putt just dropped in. I think his reply was a substitute for a rap in the teeth.
Cheers, for some reason I had it in my head that it was a retort to a snide journo :)

I've been to the college in Williamsburg, lovely part of the country

Speaking to a tour guide at a replica of the first settlement, on hearing my accent said "I grew up with a picture of John Knox on our livingroom wall"
Something on my to do list as there are letters concerning my family there in the University Library.
I have information from someone who researched their family and referenced my own but weren't looking into my family tree! Possibly be cheaper to employ a researcher! But we will see.

Back