Those who don’t do Rangers Lottery - why not?

colin stein 9

Just reading on Twitter, Colin Stewart from Rangers saying that over the Christmas period they’ve lost quite a few direct debit subscribers and that the total number of current players could fit into the Sandy Jardine Stand.

Given that we have 50,000 at every game plus many thousands more who don’t/can’t attend, it seems pitiful that less than 10,000 are prepared to pay £1 a week into the club. Once you sign up (which is very straightforward to do), you are sent a note of your numbers and that’s it. You don’t even have to check them every week as the club do that for you and post a check if you win.

If you don’t currently play, why not?

If you want to start playing, sign up here.

Since I don't have a season ticket along with the pools it's a way of supporting the club.

Don't know my numbers but unfortunately I've yet to receive a cheque in the post haha

Hardly a surprise is it? The club regularly rip the pish with pricing, whether it be season tickets. Europa tickets, cup tickets, selling a 4th strip, RTV game prices etc etc

I don’t have a never ending pot of money to give to the club when they give precious little back to the fans. We’re taken for granted.

Maybe by the time people buy season tickets,getting to/from the game etc.Club 1872 and RTV subscriptions to start with they can't afford another thing mate.
Money can only go so far
Some don’t gamble I would guess

Fair enough I get that some would fall into these category (and I would never criticise that) but given the size of our support the numbers who do take part seem quite small. In the past I’m sure Colin Stewart has been quoted that “they” have more participants than us in the lottery. Also if you compare to the numbers who played the pools back in the day even allowing for a drop due to changing times/habits etc. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have even 20,000 subscribers.

Fair enough I get that some would fall into these category (and I would never criticise that) but given the size of our support the numbers who do take part seem quite small. In the past I’m sure Colin Stewart has been quoted that “they” have more participants than us in the lottery. Also if you compare to the numbers who played the pools back in the day even allowing for a drop due to changing times/habits etc. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have even 20,000 subscribers.

The tone of your OP is critical. Folk don't play for a variety of reasons and don't need to justify themselves to others as to why not.

Comparison to the old pools is unfair, as there was no National Lottery, nor the numerous gambling options that are readily available today.

I completely get that hence why I said “ even allowing for a drop due to changing times/habits”. I would never expect the numbers playing the lottery to match those playing Rangers Pools all these years ago. The point is that back then Rangers Pools were the biggest club Pools in the UK. Today we have a tiny fraction of these numbers playing Rangers Lottery meaning we are not even the biggest club lottery in Glasgow. Surely we can do better than that. Surely we have another 10,000 members of our vast worldwide support who can pay £1 per week, perhaps those who for various reasons can’t attend matches.

The tone of your OP is critical. Folk don't play for a variety of reasons and don't need to justify themselves to others as to why not.
If you feel that was the tone I apologise. It certainly wasn’t my intention. I am fully aware that there are a number of reasons why some people don’t play including financial and moral. I was simply trying to understand why of these supporters for whom these reasons ( or others) don’t apply then why so few take part. So few to the extent that other clubs have more players for their lotteries.

Ye I can get that but it's all about choices Cs.
I also buy rising stars,programmes,put into the collection buckets etc. as many of us do but where does it stop and I don't even go to many away games or trips abroad.

Many will be living week to week mate, if you put a DD or other payment and your overdrawn then your £ turns into a lot more, I know it’s not a lot of money to some but others it could have a knock in effect, the last thing we as a support should do is pressure people with young families or low earners into taking lottery lines as many would through embarrassment of saying no.

I buy rising stars religiously and never check the numbersRe the lotto, I actually forgot I was subscribing till I looked at my statement (which I rarely do) maybe they should sell lucky dips on match days for the lotto, might generate more income

The old time Rangers Pools success was down to Agents. For Rangers Lotto you only need 5 sign ups to be an Agent. It is dead dead easy to do it. And it will grow.
How many sign ups could you get? Call 0141 427 4914 and ask for a starter pack.

Hardly a surprise is it? The club regularly rip the pish with pricing, whether it be season tickets. Europa tickets, cup tickets, selling a 4th strip, RTV game prices etc etc

I don’t have a never ending pot of money to give to the club when they give precious little back to the fans. We’re taken for granted.
The prices of these are all pretty standard market rate. The 4th strip which is a limited edition top, those who want it will pay the price and those who dont want it wont buy it. The directors have put in their millions and we have to respect that they price things competitively and do our bit. I dont buy this shit about how we are "taken for granted". Clearly King and co arent in it for financial gain.

I do the lotto, Rangers pools, subscription to club 1872, Rangers TV, and will join anything else the club set up. I know I’m lucky enough to afford it, but never again will I not contribute after the crap our club went through in 2012.
Cap does Rab. Good man.

When the old Rangers Pools were at its height, we were the biggest in Britain, even Mhank supporters signed up to it, our payouts were vastly superior to theirs.
The reason I was given was if they won they were taking money from Rangers fans for little input.

When the old Rangers Pools were at its height, we were the biggest in Britain, even Mhank supporters signed up to it, our payouts were vastly superior to theirs.
The reason I was given was if they won they were taking money from Rangers fans for little input.
30% of my agency were daft micks. 20 quid a wee I got off them.

Been playing 2 lines for about 18 month never won a coin,doesn't really matter but wonder are there many winners

Comparison to the old pools is unfair, as there was no National Lottery, nor the numerous gambling options that are readily available today.

Yes but there was Littlewoods and Vernons and a bookie on every street corner. The success of the old pools was down to the agents and that there was a lot more industry like the shipyards where the agents collected. A hundred grand a week at it's peak. 33/33/33. Agents, Club, Prize.

Just reading on Twitter, Colin Stewart from Rangers saying that over the Christmas period they’ve lost quite a few direct debit subscribers and that the total number of current players could fit into the Sandy Jardine Stand.

Given that we have 50,000 at every game plus many thousands more who don’t/can’t attend, it seems pitiful that less than 10,000 are prepared to pay £1 a week into the club. Once you sign up (which is very straightforward to do), you are sent a note of your numbers and that’s it. You don’t even have to check them every week as the club do that for you and post a check if you win.

Just signed up ,

I've played two lines a week for some time and have never won but that's not important. I don't get to many games so although it's only a few pounds, at least I'm contributing something to the club.

Can’t afford it, that’s another £52 in a year of expenses. I already have a season ticket, buy a programme every match and sometimes a Rising Stars. I also have a £5 RangersTV subscription. I also need to save for other games.

Not everyone has a large income. I wish folk would understand this it’s a pretty easy conclusion to make.

Back