Thoughts of Marco Negri ?

Negri: 6 of months unbelievable goalscoring followed by absolute zilch. Whatever the truth is behind his injury lets just say he failed to turn up afterwards. Definitely one of those "what might have been". Goalscoring records were bound to tumble if his form had continued but looked a pale shadow of himself in the few outing post injury.

Find it strange that during his stint at Ibrox he played the "moody c*nt" persona but nowadays he seems to want to be everyone's pal.

I like that ex Rangers demonstrate their love for the club. He's a strange one. I have seen more of him in recent years than I ever did in a Rangers jersey.

I would be interested in knowing the real story.

How about you blame the guy who replaced him and not Negri himself.
If he’s not in the team he can’t score.

Incidentally, in his few appearances in the latter part of the season he still out scored the “main” striker Gordon Durie.

Im fucking sick of the nonsense that gets spouted every time a Negri thread appears, whilst Durie gets off Scot free.
Durie scored one goal after he replaced Negri.
Yes, one fucking solitary goal in half a season.
He got a hat trick prior to his barren spell and that was his sum total for the entire season. He scored in two games out of 26 appearances.
Them’s the facts.

You’ll get no argument from me about Durie, chief.

Thing is, he was never ever what you would call prolific and was really only intended as backup that season so blaming him for failing to score the goals that clinched TIAR does seem a trifle unfair.

As I’ve already said on this thread, Negri’s form tumbling off a cliff is not the only reason why we blew it that season, but it’s undoubtedly a massive factor.

Negri was a terrific striker, and I thought he would go on to be one of our greatest signings. Sadly he was also a dour faced bar steward, who just never knew what he had at Ibrox. I don't hold any grudge , but he's certainly no legend/hero.

Unpopular opinion here but Andy Goran cost us the title that season.

If Niemi had played that season we win the league easily.

I wasn’t Niemi’s biggest fan, but I agree. Any semi-competent keeper that season would have won us the league.
Goram was a disgrace that season, heavily overweight and his form had fallen off a cliff.

From memory we were strongly linked with signing Klos around a year earlier than he actually came (whilst Walter was still manager). Had that signing went through there is no doubt we’d have won the league.

He was left with permanent eye damage which affected his peripheral vision, once that injury happened he wasn’t the same . He was loved by fans in Italy too - I think he realises a genuine affection for our club - albeit a bit late

Was a star for 6 months then gave up .
I remember the good times from him and the rest as far as I am concerned he let me down and every Rangers fan.

Re his recent outpouring of love for the club and people calling him a fly man.

I doubt he is making many blue pounds from it. I am happy to take him at face value.

As for on the pitch he should be remembered as a all time legend. What a finisher he was. Its a shame how it went after they 6 months.
Please tell me your having a laugh with that statement. McCoist, Forrest, Millar, Brand among others are all goalscoring Rangers legends, Negri doesn't even come close to that honour.

It's not really about "10" though, is it? He was here 4 years and played something like a total of 30 games; of those 30 he scored 32 goals. I think it's sensible to presume he was capable of giving more during his time as a player here.

Of course he could. My point is I think he knows that himself now, knows he fcuked up and knows he should’ve done things differently.

I wasn’t Niemi’s biggest fan, but I agree. Any semi-competent keeper that season would have won us the league.
Goram was a disgrace that season, heavily overweight and his form had fallen off a cliff.

From memory we were strongly linked with signing Klos around a year earlier than he actually came (whilst Walter was still manager). Had that signing went through there is no doubt we’d have won the league.

Goram’s attitude that season was part of a general malaise and lack of professionalism throughout the squad and into the management as well. ‘The team that drinks together wins together’ came home to roost.

Back