Thoughts on Man City: can anyone get worked up?

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
I am talking loving or hating them. Who cares? Really.

They'be now bought a 7th club - in China - as part of a global marketing strategy. It leaves me cold and a few folk I was social media chatting to last night were watching A Madrid game instead.

Now I am not talking hating them but is it hard to work up any feeling for them? I mean they could win CL this year and will one day, but...so? A shrug would be most peoples response would it not?

Also Pep is a bell-end.

Anyone warmed to them?

I don’t think Pep is a bell end, he is an amazing coach, but I agree with your other points, it’s all very fake with City, they money machine has created enormous wealth and success for them but it would take another 50 years of this for them have history comparable with United and Liverpool, the same goes with Chelsea.

I have no strong feelings either way to be honest.

I enjoy watching them play football matches on occasion at the moment is about as far as it goes.

The franchising of their name is a bit weird but I think a lot of the ‘Super Clubs’ will end up going that way eventually so they (along with obvious parallels such as the ‘Red Bull’ clubs) are maybe a precursor to that happening on a broader scale.

i really like Pep i reckon he's a brilliant manager, but as for Man City as a club i couldn't care less tbh yeah they play great football and their free flowing passing game is amazing but as a club i just feel they have absolutely no soul whatsoever

I am talking loving or hating them. Who cares? Really.

They'be now bought a 7th club - in China - as part of a global marketing strategy. It leaves me cold and a few folk I was social media chatting to last night were watching A Madrid game instead.

Now I am not talking hating them but is it hard to work up any feeling for them? I mean they could win CL this year and will one day, but...so? A shrug would be most peoples response would it not?

Also Pep is a bell-end.

Anyone warmed to them?

i honestly don't care about the overhyped Epl or the money league
i watched the Rangers game on periscope or whatever it's called.

As a club, they are a bit "meh" to me.

I'll watch them now and again, but have no real feelings either way.

Pep's "Catalan indy" nonsense and his wee ribbon shite pisses me off though.

Surely most neutrals would have watched Atletico vs Juve over Schalke vs City?

It's what I would have watched if I wasn't at Ibrox.

I have never really been fussed on them overall. I was captivated when they won the title with the last minute drama, but overall just feel they are a franchise from an outsider looking in and not a team I, as a neutral, really bother about.

Horrible club.

I think the real fans that went down the divisions with them cant even afford to watch them anymore.

I don’t that Yogi. I know a few in their 50’s and their take on it is that they paid their dues and now love lording it over Man Utd.

I expect that’s the standard view. Not sure why a die hard would turn their back the minute they got success. I fucking loved the Souness revolution and the end of shit players and lack of success of the early 80’s. So did every other Bear I knew. We spent loads of money compared to other teams in Scotland. We didn’t care as we got to lord it over the rest of the wankers.

It’s pretty much the same thing although the game has just become massive by comparison

At least if there were proper FFP rules United, Arsenal and Liverpool etc would remain big clubs as they've always been.

I see them as I see the EPL in general now, a brand that has no real emotion or attachment to the average fan anymore.

Find it difficult to comprehend how anyone can watch a Guardiola team and not have the utmost respect for the guy. He's transformed football and pretty much re-invented how it's played at the highest level. Outwith Rangers, City are the team I most enjoy watching in world football currently.

Agree re all your other points.

Absolutely. From a purely footballing perspective, City are up there as one of the best to watch. You may not agree with the CFG ethos and the way the team's been assembled, but Guardiola has got them playing in a way that I doubt anyone else could. I'm not a City fan, but I have a lot of time for any team who plays good football.

I don't think this is entirely accurate, they have one of the cheapest season ticket pricing in the country, include us in that

They claimed that the new seats (first lot opened in August yes?) were for less wealthy fans and would be cheapest. Did that happen?

Horrible club.

I think the real fans that went down the divisions with them cant even afford to watch them anymore.
Prices are pretty reasonable considering the football on offer. Usually around £65 for myself and my 10 year old nephew. A superb matchday experience in and around the stadium

I've no respect for teams like City and Chelsea who've bought their way to success virtually overnight when you have teams who've fought hard for over 100 years to be where they are.

I find it hard to criticise Man City and Chelsea for putting a winning team on the park by any means (legally) possible. The likes of Arsenal fans can chant "you've bought it all" whilst convincing themselves that pretty football is what is important all they want, but they won't be celebrating titles and trophies at the end of the season.

I have no real like or dislike for Man City personally, and from the outside it appears the majority of their fans are just happy to be basking in the success.

Here’s a question. In modern football should we just accept that the clubs who are deemed “big clubs” at present will always be the only big clubs? In the modern game where finance is bigger than ever, how does a smaller club go about transforming themselves into a big club without huge cash injections?

You never hear this sort of discussion around clubs like Madrid yet they’re effectively government funded, with a more or less unlimited budget which they generally use more and more until they get their success. Is it more acceptable for them because they have a much longer and richer history of being a “big club”?

A family friend of ours now in his 60’s followed home and away, season ticket, never missed a game for 40 years.

After a season of the ‘revolution’ he gave up going. He still wants to see them do well but lost all interest in what his club became. Feel sorry for people like him.

A little off topic but United vs spurs the other week when it flashed to the crowd I could not believe the amount of Chinese/Asian fans in both the home and away ends. Without wanting to sound racist I’m so glad our support is still identifiable from the old days as opposed to Ibrox being a tourist attraction.

Pep's a wank.

I hate Man City games, they are the first club to really show why the EPL might, might burst in that it has been sold on the idea of watching a game is a bit like being at the game, great atmosphere, fans who are loud etc and you can get involved in a bit more - that as always a USP for the league.

The tourists who now attend games make next to no noise and don't actually follow football in the traditional sense of the word or have the emotional investment to generate great atmospheres

Man City are for the most part dead atmosphere's and just really difficult to get into.

Cunts club.

To be fair in 15-20 years no-one will remember tradition, and how clubs used to be. It is guys like me who still keep it going....pissing in the wind really. Who will remember Div 1, the old EC or the UEFA Cup? Who will remember football being small beer and genuinely top class clubs springing up from Portugal to Romania? It will all be ££££££ and glamour and tied in with Play Station and X Box and advertising: bling, and the rap/rnb crap scene that delights gossip columnists.

I have a strong dislike for them, a club that got a stadium on the cheap and have been parachuted into a completely false position in the game due to the sovereign wealth of Abu Dhabi. A club that lies in its accounts, submitting false accounts to the UK authorities, as well as the FA and UEFA, pays staff into untraced offshore accounts and lies about Abu Dhabi based sponsorships. They have, alongside PSG made a mockery of FFP, by negotiating with Platini and Infantino, behind closed doors, to negotiate sham penalties, outside of the established FFP processes and procedures. A club that has manipulated FFP through community projects and by farming youth players on an industrial level. You cannot trust one thing about them. I just cannot take them seriously.

Posts like this are so embarrassing it’s almost hard to comprehend.

“Hey I’m staunch! Only Rangers for me! Guys, look at me! Notice me! Staunch!!”

How do you figure that out. For loads of us it's just a game of football on the TV. We don't really care how they came about the money. City are a good team to be appreciated the same as any other good team. I enjoy good football and have no attachment to anyone apart from Rangers.

How do you figure that out. For loads of us it's just a game of football on the TV. We don't really care how they came about the money. City are a good team to be appreciated the same as any other good team. I enjoy good football and have no attachment to anyone apart from Rangers.

Because it’s like a peacock flashing it’s feathers, it’s nothing more than a tragic attempt of asserting his superiority over others Rangers fans, and then there’s the stupidity of making that point by entering, and posting in a non Rangers related thread he proclaims to have no interest in.

If he doesn’t care, then he can go about not caring without stoping to let everyone else know.

Aye but I would’ve taken a “shake mahand “,takeover and been propelled upwards,against the shyte a.k.a, craig whyte and the sewers we have been dragged through.money be it fans/owners,is what drives football,it’s a business!!!m.o.

Will they win the CL, probably.
Will anybody really give a shit, probably not.

I feel sorry for the fans if these owners ever decide to just up sticks and leave. More so Chelsea, I think their owner is more likely to up sticks than Man City, who are primarily their due to the political benefits of have prominent sporting teams in the UK and USA.

Saying the genuine fans can’t afford it any more is a bit mental. Like any club, they will have/had fans from all walks of life. Their tickets are actually pretty cheap, it’s filling the ground that’s the issue.

They claimed that the new seats (first lot opened in August yes?) were for less wealthy fans and would be cheapest. Did that happen?

It doesn't really matter, their cheapest season book is £299 and their most expensive one is £920. That is phenomenal value considering the product they have on the pitch and the league they play in.

Anyone who suggests they can't afford to watch them maybe telling the truth but it's not a result of their pricing, our cheapest is more expensive their their cheapest and our most expensive is more expensive than their most expensive.

I find it hard to criticise Man City and Chelsea for putting a winning team on the park by any means (legally) possible. The likes of Arsenal fans can chant "you've bought it all" whilst convincing themselves that pretty football is what is important all they want, but they won't be celebrating titles and trophies at the end of the season.

I have no real like or dislike for Man City personally, and from the outside it appears the majority of their fans are just happy to be basking in the success.

I agree with you in a way. Personally if I'm a City or a Chelsea fan I'd be loving it. There is drawbacks to it though. They've become so big that the casual fans support them in huge numbers and they're a tourist attraction now. They attract people from all over the world and it makes it harder for the genuine fans who've followed them through thick and thin to get tickets and merchandise at a reasonable price (like a smaller club).

In all honesty, if a billionaire bought Rangers and the same thing happened to us I'd be in my element but as an outsider I can see a lot of negatives to it.

City are a mediocre, English club.

England was always had a 'big 3' - Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Chelsea have closed that gap, slightly.

But City will never come remotely close to Utd and Liverpool, in terms of success. I doubt they will ever win half the trophies that the top sides have won.

Everton and Villa have a better history than City.

Agreed re. Pep.

I agree with you in a way. Personally if I'm a City or a Chelsea fan I'd be loving it. There is drawbacks to it though. They've become so big that the casual fans support them in huge numbers and they're a tourist attraction now. They attract people from all over the world and it makes it harder for the genuine fans who've followed them through thick and thin to get tickets and merchandise at a reasonable price (like a smaller club).

In all honesty, if a billionaire bought Rangers and the same thing happened to us I'd be in my element but as an outsider I can see a lot of negatives to it.

That could be an issue at Chelsea until they move to a bigger ground, but from what I've seen Man City's home games rarely sell out. I remember hearing an interview with Noel Gallagher a few years back where he said he couldn't understand the expansion to the Etihad's capacity as there always empty seats as it was. Also I'm assuming it will still be only the hardcore City fans who get to the away games.

They are the English franchise of Saudi sports, just another mid table team until the Saudis came along, a Everton, Leicester, Aston Villa type club. I dislike Chelsea as well a rich mans play club, players really don't care, but like the money and living in London

Football outwith Rangers, and a few other clubs I have a soft sport for, is pretty dead to me as a sport. Haven't watched a minute of EPL or UCL football this season and haven't missed it.
Man City is just a symptom of the direction its been going a for long time.

It doesn't really matter, their cheapest season book is £299 and their most expensive one is £920. That is phenomenal value considering the product they have on the pitch and the league they play in.

Anyone who suggests they can't afford to watch them maybe telling the truth but it's not a result of their pricing, our cheapest is more expensive their their cheapest and our most expensive is more expensive than their most expensive.
We have a far larger support and so the demand for tickets is higher. We also don’t have crazy tv deals or nefarious sponsorship deals swelling out coffers.

I preferred Barca under Riykard , same with City preferred them under Mancini and Pelegrini , I feel as if i am watching a chess match when i watch city under Guardiola he is the best at what he does , but it leaves me feeling a bit cold .

We have a far larger support and so the demand for tickets is higher. We also don’t have crazy tv deals or nefarious sponsorship deals swelling out coffers.

I agree with you, but for man city fans to suggest they are being priced out the game is a nonsense

I watch City every chance I get. Fantastic footballers playing the game in great style. I used to enjoy watching Chelsea in Murhino's first spell.
Also loved watching Barca when Inestia and Xavi were there plus Messi of course, and in the same way I loved watching Brazil in '70 and Holland in '74.
City will eventually have to rebuild their team, by that time someone else will come along and play the best football, and I will be watching that team.
Once Mr. King gets our club sorted out we will have better football at Ibrox and get back to winning the league.

Back