Thoughts on Schweinsteiger?

A very very good footballer and an important part of Germany’s golden generation.

Horrendous at Man ure but they all were.

Not a Zidane, Iniesta or Gazza. But up there Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes.
Not in the same league as lampard, Scholes or Gerrard.

1 of Germany golden generation but more of a work horse than a goal scoring mid

Fantastic player, his wife is stunning:p

F2-B6-A465-CBD8-4-F1-F-8-AF3-4-AA85-FEEA206.jpg

94-BF7-D48-A4-DA-464-A-BB75-FBE3-B671-C7-D9.jpg

Must be cold :rolleyes:

Just taken over as Manager at 3rd Division Uerdigen has Effenberg.

Schweinsteiger great player but anyone who watched his last season at Bayern knew he would struggle at United and he had pretty much had it at the top level. I was at the match in 2014 in April when Bayern lost their first match of the season away to Augsburg - Bayern rested a few as they had Man U a few days later. Lost 1 0 and I’ll always remember how hard Schweinsteiger tried that day, Augsburg went through again in injury time and he was still running like hell to get back despite being totally done for.

My first thought when I hear his name is always to think "Prick"

I'm not entirely sure why. I always consider that before thinking about his actual playing career. I'm sure he speaks highly of me too.

His brother Tobias was at Bayern for years playing in their second team in the Regionaliga as well (4th tier).

He wore the same boots for years. I remember when it showed you him placing the ball for his penalty v Chelsea in the CL Final, they are in some state.

Toni Kroos also does the same.

121 caps and 24 goals for Germany: won WC and was runner up in EC
445 top flight games and 54 goals: won CL, FA Cup, German Cup x 7 and Bundesliga x 8.

I'd say it's not a bad career!! Was a workhorse but you need them in any good side.

A fantastic player in his pomp. Don't remember him being linked with us but that would have been a coup.

In his position for a few years, he was a great player,,injuries maybe held him back from being one of the greats,still had a fantastic career

Didn't he start off as a winger for Bayern? Dropped into central midfield then finished as a CB in MLS.

When he broke through into the German team was tipped big time to be world class the Germans were right as usual ,top quality

Loved him as a player, an absolute warrior, who was key in some massive successes for Bayern and Germany.

Remember him being linked to us when PLG came in, after rumours he had fallen out with the Bayern manager. Sadly my scepticism of the chances of that actually happening was proved correct.

Was delighted when he moved to Man Utd to see what he could do in the EPL, however it was noticeable that his legs just didn't have enough left in them to thrive in England. Could and should have been used better though to help bring on younger players.

Honourable mention for Wolfgang Wolf, the former Wolfsburg manager.

I lived next door to a Wolfgang when working in Germany one time. Even his wife used to take the piss out of him for having so stereotypical a German name.
He lived in the house that Blue Nun built. The former owner had effed off to Switzerland one step in front of the German taxman looking for gazillions of Deutchmarks. So he got a bargain.
Strange place. It had a Wild West bar in the basement.

He's one of the greatest German players ever and has a more impressive honors roll call than all of them.

Different playing style, but easily in the same pantheon, if not arguably above, those mentioned.
121 caps and 24 goals for Germany: won WC and was runner up in EC
445 top flight games and 54 goals: won CL, FA Cup, German Cup x 7 and Bundesliga x 8.

I'd say it's not a bad career!! Was a workhorse but you need them in any good side.
Phenomenal career and a player well respected and rightly so... But if you had to choose 1 player out of Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Viera or Schweinsteiger... It wouldn't be him would it?

Brilliant player until his legs went. Genuinely world-class in every sense of the word. He generally played even better for country than his clubs.

Phenomenal career and a player well respected and rightly so... But if you had to choose 1 player out of Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Viera or Schweinsteiger... It wouldn't be him would it?

None of them got near the levels Schweinsteiger reached between 2012-2014.

Completely dominated the greatest midfield ever(Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta) leading Bayern to 7-0 aggregate win over Barcelona. Ran show for a Bayern side that won the treble and ran the show again in the Germany 2014 World Cup win.

But aye, never done it in England so he’s obviously not near the others...

Two more for the mix. Horst Hrubesch and Hans Peter Briegel. Oops two others spring to mind Sigi Held and Helmut Haller.

Last edited:
Back