Thoughts on Schweinsteiger?

Remember his name came to prominence in 2004 Euros, great player.

The player McCrorie should be looking to be.

None of them got near the levels Schweinsteiger reached between 2012-2014.

Completely dominated the greatest midfield ever(Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta) leading Bayern to 7-0 aggregate win over Barcelona. Ran show for a Bayern side that won the treble and ran the show again in the Germany 2014 World Cup win.

But aye, never done it in England so he’s obviously not near the others...

This is a mental post tbh.

Xavi and Iniesta were often in the Ballon d'Or rankings (rightly so). Both of them were the best midfielders in the world for years. Bayern had a great side that season and they won the lot, but to suggest Schweinsteiger was better than them is ridiculous.

I great midfielder who actually reinvented himself in his early 20s. Started out as a winger with an apparent bad attitude. Turned it around to be a leader and inspirational player for club and Country.
He should have retired 2 years before he did though.

Xavi and Iniesta were often in the Ballon d'Or rankings (rightly so). Both of them were the best midfielders in the world for years. Bayern had a great side that season and they won the lot, but to suggest Schweinsteiger was better than them is ridiculous.

I’m not quite sure the point being made either-especially with such aggression.
Yes he was fantastic for a period of time but does that mine he’s far better than either of those midfielders?

Bit like suggesting Messi isn’t that good because Kirk Broadfoot got the better of him one night.

Edit: think he might be using Barcelona to demonstrate he was better than premiership stars of the time. That may not be so mental after all.

He's a very good player. One of those guys that can boss a midfield and not look like he's doing all that much. Has had a great career and going over to USA to finish it up was a great move for him.

I never suggested he was a better player than them.

I said he completely dominated that midfield at his peak, which he did.

Schweinsteiger was better than the players mentioned in the post (Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Vieira)

Definitely Looks like he was on those propaganda posters that the Germans liked in WWII.
Helmut Schoen & Stefan Kuntz for real German names!!

Schweinsteiger was better than the players mentioned in the post (Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Vieira)

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

No chance was Schweinsteiger better than any of them.

Not saying who was best but in the World Cup game when Germany humped England 4-1 (I think?) He dominated the England midfield which I assume included Gerrard and Lampard

Gerry McNee wrote a piece on him saying how vile and nasty he was at the same time so there may well have been something in it
I seem to remember a column that bordered on anti German race hate and it may have been McPish who penned it. Must have been doing something right if old gerry was annoyed.

mentally challenged bastard. ( McPish )

Started off as a winger and looked very exciting at Euro 2004

His career drifted a bit after that until he was converted to a central midfielder , I think by Van Gaal.

I wouldn’t have him quite up there with the likes of Xavi or Pirlo but a great player and winner nonetheless .

Back