Thoughts on tonight

For the stick that Tav gets at times, myself included, we don’t half miss him down that wing when he’s not there.

I was a bit worried by this tie as St Midden I thought St Midden would park the bus. Even the best teams can become unstuck with these types of tactics.
It might not have been pretty but just happy for the 3 points.

Flat but never under threat. Overplay it in the final third far too much and need to be more ruthless. All in all a win’s a win, but hoping we shake off the winter rust soon because that level of performance won’t fly against some of the tougher opponents.

With 2 of our best players missing it was more comfortable than expected.

Still mind numbing and monotonous but less painful than killie before Christmas

Thinly positive was the 3 points, that was about it.

If it had been a non-Rangers game on tv I’d have went out and done some gardening, in the fućking dark.

Terrible game. Without Alfie we struggle to break teams down. Aribo was okay, but Kent was not. Davis and Jack couldn't find any sort of killer ball.

Nothing much to say about it really, job done, forgettable performance, do you want to stay the night, no thanks I'm up early tomorrow, oh I don't mind, naw really it's fine I'll just go, well stay for a coffee and I'll phone you a taxi, naw I'll walk, but you live miles away and its freezi - look hen you were a shite ride and I struggled to get a hardon cos your breath is barking and your legs need shaved let's just forget this ever happened and go our separate ways cheerio.

One of those nights.

Thought we would have brought on Jordan Jones for the last twenty minutes or so to try and create a bit more.Dull game but happy to get full points.

Awful, again.

Two half arsed performances after the winter break and it’s just not good enough.

If we don’t significantly up our performance then we’ll drop points soon.

It’s a worry, we’ve come back from the break on similar form to last year albeit two easy fixtures where we’ve got away with it

The players need to give themselves a shake for Sunday.

It's 3 points but we are sailing too close to the wind for my liking .We need to bring an attacking midfielder and another striker in before the end of the month even on 6 month loans if necessary.We are not carrying enough goal threat from the midfield and our wide front players are simply not contributing enough goals.We simply don't seem to have a clue how to play against a packed defence and it's going to cost us dearly

St Mirren were a disgrace. Time wasting from the first whistle, all 11 men in their own half. So boring. Hope they go down if that's all they're going to offer.
Not disagreeing with that, but we did let them in with a right good chance in the middle of the second half.

Thoughts were Flanagan offers nothing and really shouldn’t be there - if the gaffer doesn’t want Patterson in then Polster will at least get forward.

Defoe needs a partner and struggled to play one up top. When is Stewart fit?

I am apprehensive about that team going to Tynecastle, we are off the boil middle to front. I am delighted to get 3 points though.

We can’t change the system to suit Defoe. We will then lose control of the game & weaken ourselves defensively.

We need a stronger & pacier replacement for Alfie.

Defoe really doesnt suit our style of play which worries me before sunday.

On the break he offers us nothing

He doesn’t have the pace to run behind any more, nor the strength or height to dominate defences. Also was offside maybe 5 times tonight ?

He did take the goal well.

Lack of dynamism in our midfield really worries me sometimes. We can fall into safe mode very easily.

That St Mirren team is honking.

Ref was a cuunt too.

Hearts will have a go at the weekend, so might suit us better.

We need another, and different, option in midfield.

We couldn’t get a shot on target from midfield, we had none of them running into the box, and late on when we broke there was no pace to run behind them. It’s been clear for two years that we need this skill set.

It's 3 points but we are sailing too close to the wind for my liking .We need to bring an attacking midfielder and another striker in before the end of the month even on 6 month loans if necessary.We are not carrying enough goal threat from the midfield and our wide front players are simply not contributing enough goals.We simply don't seem to have a clue how to play against a packed defence and it's going to cost us dearly

Agree Ronnie.

3 points in the bag, we move on.

Not pretty to watch but this would have been a game we would have drawn or possibly even lost last season.

Happy with the 3 points.

3 points against a side who had no intention of making a game of it, they came to shut up shop & will have left happy only losing 1-0.
we weren’t at our best by any stretch of imagination but took the 3 points.

I had thought, going to the game, that I’d take turgid and boring as long as we won.

Game was awful and crap to sit through but I still stand by it.

Hope we move up a level on Sunday

Thoughts....that was tough.
Still, 3 points.
One more game without Alfie but Christ we need Tav back.

Aberdeen and Hibs without him will be tough.

It’s difficult too watch when a team is losing and there still wasting time, that’s two games in a row now and I imagine there will be a lot more of them just hope we keep getting the goals to win them.

3 points first and foremost. We will smash any team that will come trying to play football. Hopefully hearts have a go so we can pick them off :)

Not the best. He doesn’t do it all the tine but when needed Goodwin is good at setting teams up to grind out results and kill games. We got the points which is the most important thing

From a defensive coaching perspective St Mirren were well set up. 2 banks of 5 and 4 with minimal space for Kent to operate in between them. The most classic example of not being able to break the lines that i've seen at Ibrox. The effort that Kent put in was excellent but wasn't matched by Aribo.

Team flat and crowd flat, bad mix, especially in games like that

Flanagan is hard to watch, Aribo and Barisic our best players on the bight

Goldson and Katic solid

A big striker probably would've made a big difference in the box.

That said defoe is very much a 1 chance 1 goal striker.

Just move on to Sunday now. 1 game at a time.

1) thank %^*& that's in the bag. Absolutely turgid game of football one of the worst I have seen in many a time. But most importantly 3 points in the bag

2) nothing new here to add but Katic really is a monster in the air. Literally fancy him to win everything that comes his way. Been a long time since we really had somebody with that commanding presence. He would headbutt his gran for us

3) Flanagan will never be our right back in a million years. Don't think any of his crosses beat the first man. I understand he needs minutes for going to tynecastle. In a game that should suit him. I'm fine with him in games in Europe oddly enough a backs to the wall bodies on the line type game and he's your man. But against at mitten who parked the whole of paisley in their half just not effective.

4) what a horrible horrible way to set up a team by at mitten. They would get football cancelled. Even time wasting when they are 1-0 down. Wish them nothing but misery from now until the end of the season (mentally challenged games aside)

5) hopefully that's our first league game rustiness shook as we need to improve in the final third too pedestrian at times. For all that possession and their keeper literally not having many saves to make is poor.

Nevertheless a wins a win and we move on to the next game
My thoughts?
3 points.
2 down and one to go for my wee hero!
See you soon Alfredo.

Crap game but we got there. I knew it would be after Goodwin admitted he was parking the bus. They played for a 0-0 right from the start, these games are always terrible.

Lack of a goalscoring midfielder who doesnt want to just go sideways and try get the ball wide means we are becoming predictable. Jack, Davis and Kamara offer good protection but little attacking threat. Thought Jack would kick on after his two goals up north but he's just become a water carrier again. I dont think we get enough from Kamara in games like these. I would just play 2 of Davis, Jack or Kamara and then either Arfield or Aribo in a more advance position to help Defoe...

All moot points when Alfie is back as he does all the running and movement and bullies the defenders himself.

Back