Thoughts on tonight

We are not bringing much in during January.
We really need some top quality players bought in the summer.

Wright still useful as a sub who'll come on and tire full backs, but he doesn't win us games. Disappointed he hasn't been able to make the right wing spot his own, but he's had plenty of starts and just isn't pushing on.

Itten has often tended to be anonymous when he starts, so often just ends up controlling the ball and being blocked. This was a problem last season and it looks like nothing has changed. Others say he needs to play in a front two, which may be true. But as we saw several times tonight, he just lacks a killer instinct and the ability to react quickly to make an extra yard for himself.

Lowry did well. Great for him and us. Let's not get carried away, but keep him involved, get him more games and let the boy keep developing.

Absolute braindead, arrogant pish being talked about Sands by some tonight. We've seen him play a game and a half. Needs games.

Thought Kamara and Fashion were very good. Tav took responsibility coming forward. Defence did enough.

We need an Arfield type and a RW brought in, hopefully this window.

The positive is that we did step up the tempo second half and the goal was coming, although it was nervy as f*** we were creating openings. It didn't just Peter out like Aberdeen or some of the poor performances under Gerrard this season. The problem was starting with two DMs and too many players making no impact, with Sakala one of the few showing real spark. Alfie or Roofe up front scores one that Itten missed. Somebody other than Wright out right adds more end product (yeah, not sure who right now). Arfield in earlier supports Lowry's game. Get all that right and we finish Ross County comfortably this weekend and on to the Old Firm.

We were without our 4 main attacking threats, on a horrendous night of weather against a team that parked the bus.

It was a slog, but we got there.

We have two of those 4 players back on Saturday. Plus Arfield back to fitness, Jack making positive steps, young Lowry looked good and Fashion was very dangerous, albeit with a poor final ball that can be worked on.

It’s not all bad at all.

That was a grind

Really made hard work out of that. But most importantly with the result in the other game. A massive 3 points.

Tonight was the definition of a pendulum swinging back and forth between the two games. If hearts took that penalty.

Nevertheless all we can do is just keep winning and they can’t do a thing about it.

Now on to the game.

Wright - nowhere near good enough to start. He will go back to being a sub one game turn in a decent showing then call for him to start and then produces hee haw in the next few games.

Itten - vanilla ice cream. Not aggressive enough not clinical enough. Maybe harsh given he’s just back but we are in a title race and there’s no time to sugar coat it. An option I guess but never the main man. Criminal not finishing that chance by lowry.

Lowry - should never set foot in the B team again. Maybe getting carried away. And lot of things to improve on but enough shown in the last 2 games to suggest there’s no need to drop back down to that level now and can improve with better players around him. Should have had assist and just floats and glides about the pitch. Huge potential.

The front 3 going forward should be Kent Morelos and sakala or until such times we pull the finger out and actually get players in and when Morelos is back.

Roofe obviously a big player when he comes up to sharpness

Also a big shoutout to Jack who looked good when he came on. I myself said I thought he’d be closer to the end of his rangers career than the peak of it so I hope I’m wrong which wouldn’t be the first time. A huge player if he stays fit
Not going to argue with any of that m8. Agree entirely!

It was rough but that’s Livis game plan.

They are on a run of decent form just now so tonight was always gonna be tough.

Tonight was not a night for silky football.
It was great to see Jack and Arfield back, and wee still have Aribo, Kent, Morelos, Davis, Helander etc to come.
It was a great 3 points under the conditions and it proved that players like Itten and Wright need moved on.

Bloody frustrating

You build yourself up with excitement and can’t wait for the game and it is hard work again with me twitching on the end of my seat begging for the ref to blow the whistle and end this now while we have the lead and 3 points.

Aberdeen and now Livi…….we need a momentum shift and a bit more grit to get the job done on the pitch better.

The team should be more than capable of winning tonight but lacked that umph which is very disappointing.

Jack and Arfield coming on gave me a bit more belief we would get all 3 points but twitchy bum still at 1 nil that they would nick one back.

Sakala looked great but lacked final killer instinct.

Watching Lowry play was brilliant and hope he can keep getting game time and playing like he has been and developing for us.

A frustrating watch, not our best performance but happy 3 points bagged.

One of those games you get in every season.

Just going to take the positives and ignore the negatives.

We won with loads of players out, Jack and Arfield back in the squad, Lowry looking like he can play a part.

It was another performance that showed we badly need to improve the squad before the end of the window.
I agree but what is getting me is our really slow build up it seems to been forward sideways back all the time,it's reminding me of Gerrard's stuff 2seasons ago and the scum will press our slow build up next week.

Total and utter shyte with Arfields touch of skill the only plus !

We have nothing pre-planned, everything is off the cuff and ends up losing the ball or wasting the chance.

I had hoped with the exit of Gerrard and Beale we would have seen the end of the idiotic pass back to goalie from oppositions 18 yd line before we end up giving it away in a dangerous area !

Until Arfield came on NOT ONE person passed and moved into an attacking position ie Forward !

There was no one wanting the ball to create and drive us on - everything is backwards or at best to feet, never to run onto.

NOT good enough

We were without our 4 main attacking threats, on a horrendous night of weather against a team that parked the bus.

We have two of those 4 players back on Saturday. Plus Arfield back to fitness, Jack making positive steps, young Lowry looked good and Fashion was very dangerous, albeit with a poor final ball that can be worked on.

It’s not all bad at all.
This. Take the 3 - arguably - best players out of any team and they will struggle. particularly when its their main creative players and a goalscorer. Arfield and Jack welcomed back tonight. They won't both play every week but their contributions, like tonight, will be vital. Aribo and Kent back at the weekend. Mainly an Alfie-shaped hole up top to worry about for the next 2/3 games.

Big win on a terrible night against stuffy opposition with players missing.

Performances post winter break are a concern yet again, we badly need a fresh face or two.

Was the team shite or the OP?

The boy Lowry has shown more class and guile in 165 minutes between Friday and tonight than Wright has since he's been here. And to be honest, I thought Wright was going to be a corker of a signing for us.

As for Lowry? The boy is now here to stay in the first team squad. Tonight showed there is simply no use in him going back the way in the B league.

Between Wright and Itten there's only so many times we can use the excuse; 'They're trying too hard.'

Elsewhere, and I know it will go against the grain but unless Fashion calms down we won't get the best of him. We all love that smile and enthusiasm, but we need the end product. The next few gamess would be a nice way to get into the groove.

Referee watch. Not the worst, but the booking for Goldson was the latest in a long line of cheating, and that is the only word for it, against us.

Conditions were horrendous, suited a team of hammer throwers rather than a team trying to play football, nevertheless a big 3 points

Delighted to win though I must say, a large section of the crowd get on our players backs very early and far too often.

Giving abuse and screams of derision every time a pass goes astray simply isn't going to help the team.

Was the team shite or the OP?

The boy Lowry has shown more class and guile in 165 minutes between Friday and tonight than Wright has since he's been here. And to be honest, I thought Wright was going to be a corker of a signing for us.

As for Lowry? The boy is now here to stay in the first team squad. Tonight showed there is simply no use in him going back the way in the B league.

Between Wright and Itten there's only so many times we can use the excuse; 'They're trying too hard.'

Elsewhere, and I know it will go against the grain but unless Fashion calms down we won't get the best of him. We all love that smile and enthusiasm, but we need the end product. The next few gamess would be a nice way to get into the groove.

Referee watch. Not the worst, but the booking for Goldson was the latest in a long line of cheating, and that is the only word for it, against us.
My thoughts on the night, horrible game. Hearts missing the change to take points off of them didn't help either.

Squad players are garbage - nothing new there.

We need to add quality this window - crying out for a 7 and an 8.

Same players playing at walking pace like what we saw under Gerrard. Too slow, sloppy, wasteful. Lacking penetration. Nowhere near ruthless enough. Not prepared to put our laces through the ball from 25 yards - when we do, it’s the wrong decision and sails into the stands.

Tavernier less freedom to attack is stifling us.

A really shit opposition.

An equally shit referee.

Poor conditions.

As a team we look sluggish, like we always do after an international/winter break.

Bassey switching off - he’ll be punished if it continues.

Lowry impressive, again.

Good to see Arfield, Jack and Roofe back. Stay fit ffs.

Aribo and Kent return.

3 points.

Spot on, 3 points on a shit night. We absolutely battered them but couldn’t score
Can’t recall them having a shot, probably did but attention span gone after 5 minutes, 3 points though, we move on, another step closer……….. champions again olè olè

Exactly the type of game Livingston always give us and them.
Don't know what folk were expecting tonight, especially with so many key attack minded players missing.
We wasted 60 mins though with Sands and Kamara on.

We have had a lay off, international disruption and injuries. Livi well organised so 3 points is all we needed and all we got. Too many negative posts for me, we’re not playing like Brazil, but there are mitigating circumstances ! NEXT !….

the amount of back passes we make to the keeper is ridiculous, not sure if its a lack of midfield that causes so many but i wish we'd cut down on it.

We play like we want a 0 0 draw. Lots of meaningless possession in our own half.

Tactically poor.

I don't want to see 2 defensive midfielders playing in our system.

A blind man can see it leaves too much room between midfield & attack. This causes the wingers to drop deep & then leaves main striker completely isolated
I did think the front 4 looked deep at times but when we won the ball back we quickly transitioned in to attack and that created us a few opportunities.

Pish: Wright, Itten

Not great: Bassey, Sands

Ok: McGregor (nowt to do), Jack(not on long really)

Good: Roofe, Kamara

Really Good: Lowry, Barisic, Fashion, Arfield, Tavernier, Goldson

Delighted to win though I must say, a large section of the crowd get on our players backs very early and far too often.

Giving abuse and screams of derision every time a pass goes astray simply isn't going to help the team.

Some think it makes them play better. Very strange.

Pish: Wright, Itten

Not great: Bassey, Sands

Ok: McGregor (nowt to do), Jack(not on long really)

Good: Roofe, Kamara

Really Good: Lowry, Barisic, Fashion, Arfield, Tavernier, Goldson
his passing wasnt great last night, in fact it was a bit ropey.

It’s not all bad at all.

We had Morelos, Kent and Hagi at Aberdeen last week and were equally as bad.

Last night was a slog, the weather having a lot to do with it, tactics and team selection was what let us down. Replace Itten with Morelos, Wright with Kent the impact would have been the same, the service to the front 3 was terrible.

We knew exactly how they would play, they are hard to break down, we continually slowed everything down letting them get everyone back in position.

Arfield certainly brought fresh legs against a leggy tired team,

McGregor had nothing to do. Bassey & Barisic solid. Goldson & Tav had a few brain fart moments.

Sands ok. Kamara & Jack steady and controlled parts of the game. Lowry was excellent and deserved an assist.

Wright stunk the place out, he was rotten. Arfield excellent when he came on and made the difference. Itten worked hard but lacks that extra bit of class. Roofe looks rusty, needs minutes. Sakala was excellent, just needs to pull the trigger.

Not the best, but these are the games that decide titles. The squad stepped up.
A very good summation

Back