Thoughts on Yilmaz

Got caught out with a long diagonal ball for their first goal, but dealt with them pretty well after then.

I was expecting a bit more drive going forward, but it was his first game back and was probably put in a week or so earlier than would usually have been the case.
A number of people have highlighted he was to blame for their first goal when it was 100% Goldson at fault. Yilmaz did his job and was bang in line with Davies and Tav, it was Goldson, who was shocking all game, playing the guy on that left Yilmaz facing the wrong way and out of position. Thought ok, nothing more nothing less, but given it was his first start in 5 months he gets plenty leeway from me.

fucking idiots?

no offence but are you going on his quality on a youtube video made buy a turk who you wouldnt buy a can of cola off incase it was fake
I'm sure he's going off the amount of top flight appearances for 1 of the top teams in Turkey and already an internationalist at the age of 21.

If Borna had just came back from a 5 month injury I would like to think folk would understand if he wasn't 100%. Ridvan will come good. He's miles away from being match fit nevermind get up to speed with his teammates. He will come good. I've no doubts about that
Hopefully mate

Way to early to judge especially after paying a substantial fee.
Give the guy time to settle after an injury.

You know that by reading this thread, certain posters have made up their mind.
If he's still here in 5 years, we'll still be hearing about the Motherwell goal.

Last edited:
Just came back from a 5 month injury lay off and Borna has 9 years of experience on him, he’s one to develop as Beale has said. Anyone writing him off is a fruit loop. It’s far too early to say but he needs a good few months of being fit and settling into the team before we will know either way.

You know by that reading this thread, certain posters have made up their mind.
It doesn't matter what he does, but he was caught out of position for a Motherwell goal. If he's still here in 5 years, we'll still be hearing about it.
This is so true , umpteen times you see a player make a mistake or perceived to be at fault and actually go on to have a good game but in the post match thread many have them down as playing shi£# which is not true. The most recent one I noticed was Lundstram made a mistake or two early doors last week, looked slow but actually went on to have a good game .Completely written off by many on here as crap and he wasn't.

Some supporters are off their rocker, 5 months out and expect him to come back flying. He will be eased through the rest of the season, played when needed and get fully fit in pre season…. Same as Hagi, souttar etc

Bornas time is up mate. He’s been in that team that’s consistently shat the bed against that lot and won us nothing for years. He can cross a ball but has a weak mentality. It’s time for some fresh blood and winners in the team
As has the whole backline.
Changing just Borna doesn't fix this fragile defence.

Hes going
Because of his height most teams will play the long diagonal into his area.
To be a wing back for us, fully expect 3-5-2 next season or some variation of 3 wt the back which ever way we do it. For those who say not suitable for our league didn't the crash barriers play 3 at the back in their invinsible season? Can be a great way of flooding the forward areas .

Hes going

To be a wing back for us, fully expect 3-5-2 next season or some variation of 3 wt the back which ever way we do it. For those who say not suitable for our league didn't the crash barriers play 3 at the back in their invinsible season? Can be a great way of flooding the forward areas .

Their season under Rodgers? No, they played a back 4 for most of that. The second season under Rodgers saw them try out the back 3 in some games.

So say it was back a whisker and therefore onside. Where was he??

Apologies for repeating myself, but the back line were stepping out - he was doing his job there.

The whole defence was caught out, which can happen if you want to play a bit of a higher line. There's no individual blame.

Borna, like many who have been here for too many years brings........a lack of trophies.

All these players that people want to keep. Do you really think our trophy haul us going to increase by keeping these guys ??

We need to learn to let go. Otherwise we will just see continued failure and the mentally challengeds will continue adding to their trophy haul.
Bottom line for me. Someone on here recently called us Sentimental FC, and I can totally see that. Because people have really strong sentimental attachments to players who delivered a pretty shocking lack of success, seems the board are in on that too. 55 was brilliant, but a lot of fans are seemingly prepared to let some of these players live off that forever.

For me 55 is in the past, it’s done and seeing as this is Rangers and not Aberdeen or Motherwell, we should always be looking to build on any success and bring more and more of it. It hasn’t happened, so personally I’ve had enough of this group. Cantwell and Raskin look promising, as does Tillman, and Yilmaz deserves a decent chance a least. I couldn’t care if any of the rest of them leave, in fact if it was financially viable to replace Morelos, Tavernier, Goldson, Kent, Borna, Lundstram, Kamara etc I’d 100% do it. These players have let us down far too many times and don’t have the strength of character required for a title fight, they’ve proven this time and again.

Last edited:
Borna, like many who have been here for too many years brings........a lack of trophies.

All these players that people want to keep. Do you really think our trophy haul us going to increase by keeping these guys ??

We need to learn to let go. Otherwise we will just see continued failure and the mentally challengeds will continue adding to their trophy haul.
I agree, IMO Borna peaked with us a long time ago & the odd good cross doesn't make up for his defensive deficiencies, so I had high hopes that Ridvan would come in & prove to be better.

I still harbour those hopes as he needs much more game time to show it, and today he was ok.

Can't understand why people are not prepared to give Yilmaz a few games to get up to speed before writing him off.....remember how long it took Borna to get going when he arrived? He's still a youngster and already has a lot of top level games in Turkey, including internationals under his belt, he'll come good!!

Remember how bad Borna was to start with, before he scored that one against St Mirren?

We learn nothing on here, even Tillman was written off after a few games.

The same plonkers desperate for players to fail.
Andy Goram was shocking at the start of his Rangers career.
The boy needs games to get his fitness and confidence back.

What I took from his performance today was that he was clearly targeted and once he recognised that he was more aware of the quick switch and coped fairly well with it, but he was then held back a wee bit because of that. I think the 3 at the back may suit Ridvan in the future.

The outlay on him as a percentage of our outgoings was wild.

I feel sorry for him as he'll be doing very well to justify that fee and isn't at all what you would imagine a robust defender in this league is. We've barely seen him to make any meaningful judgement so far.

I was surprised Devine did not come on as you could see Ridvan was knackered, he still needs time yet as he's not played enough to judge him.

Borna is probably his biggest fan…

Yilmaz only ever really played as a wing back with Besiktas, would be nice to see him play that role with a 3 and Tav pushed up if we are going to persist with the narrow front 3 with Kent inside.

How can people say he got caught out for the first goal when he correctly moved up alongside 2 other defenders ? It was Goldson that played the boy on.

He done ok, nothing special but getting minutes on the park after such a long lay off is exactly what he and the club needs.

Thought he did ok yesterday - maybe could have done better in the lead up to both goals we lost (I'm maybe being a bit harsh on him here).

Will wait to pass judgement as I’ve not seen anywhere near enough of him to decide.

Hopefully he turns out to be a good signing.

Barasic has had more howlers at Parkhead than Yilmaz has had league starts, yet people are writing him off.

I question the age of some people on here that dont understand that players need time to settle after arriving in a new country, learning a new language, playing in a new team and being out after a long injury. It's very basic Football knowledge.

Reactions: TQ3
It's always good to have a thread like this every now and then to remind us that we are surrounded by idiots.

As much as Barisic's crossing can ne excellent at times, I think to progress as a team we need to get away from the dependency of 'get it wide and get it into the box'. From the little we have seen of Yilmaz so far, he'll offer a different approach. More comfortable with the ball at his feet, running with it, playing more balls through the lines etc. Whether he works out, or is suited to scottish football, remains to be seen but I'm hoping he can get s good run of games to at least give him a chance.

People pretend he's good with no real evidence to back it up - it's just hope/optimism

Nothing wrong with that but let's not kid ourselves. He's not shown much so far (good or bad, he looks ok). But he's young so does have plenty time to improve.

Back