Thoughts on Yilmaz

People pretend he's good with no real evidence to back it up - it's just hope/optimism

Nothing wrong with that but let's not kid ourselves. He's not shown much so far (good or bad, he looks ok). But he's young so does have plenty time to improve.
Haven't seen anyone say he's been good. Previous evidence would suggest he's good, but we've not really had a chance to see for ourselves. Most people understand it'll take more than 150 minutes or whatever he's had. It’s people saying "not for me" and writing him off who are being rightly criticised.

Are we going to have a Yilmaz thread everytime he plays? Give the guy a chance. He has been injured for months and yet we have people on here wanting him binned because he is not as good as Borna, or he is too light weight or he can't cross the ball like Borna. Just let him get fit and play for a decent run of games and then judge him.

Im in the hope he turns good camp.

When he first signed he was a young lad leaving Turkey and coming to Glasgow - its a big move.

Not a good grasp of English.

Playing in a side at the time that was disjointed and going nowhere.

Just back from a lengthy layoff and is finding his feet all over again.

He was touted for some big clubs before we signed him so I'm going to give the lad a chance and reserve judgement.

They targeted him. He coped ok but it was obvious that teams will target him due to his lack of height.

He was off the pace a little but that will improve with match time. Show some nice touches. Crossing too near the keeper.

First goal happened down his side but I'm more inclined to look across the line as he had moved up as he should have done.

Lets see what he does if he can get a few games in his legs.
First goal Yilmaz held the line with, himself Davies and Tav. Goldson fukked the offside, and then failed to block the cross.

The first goal was absolutely not his fault whatsoever

I thought he had a solid enough game, he was targeted with the long balls and coped well enough. His confidence increased as the game went on and he looks good on the ball.

Good to see him playing!!

First goal Yilmaz held the line with, himself Davies and Tav. Goldson fukked the offside, and then failed to block the cross.

The first goal was absolutely not his fault whatsoever

To be honest, I thought the line was good, we were just a bit narrow but thats probably more to do with their line-up more than anything else.

He was starting to come onto a game before his injury, probably one of the very few highlights in the Napoli away game. He looks a bit reserved just now where he's not taking the man on and playing the safe option or crossing from deep but hopefully as he builds his fitness up and gets more confident, we see him take more risks.

He needs time to settle in and get a run of games under his belt.

He didn’t have a great game today but didn’t expect much from a boy they had been out so long and still obviously to gel on the field with his team mates.

He looked at times like he didn’t know where to go and got in the way a bit.

I think he will surprise a few on here when he gets up to speed.

He was not bad, not great. His crossing showed how rusty he is.

We won’t really know much until we’re a good few games in with him. He’s recovering from a long-term injury and learning how Beale wants him to operate all at once.

Considering how long he’s been out, I thought he did fine.

Motherwell targeted him with lots of long balls from goal kicks etc and didn’t really get much change out him.

He took up some different positions in-field, which I liked. Tav and Borna can be too rigid and predictable.

Wasn’t really himself in final 3rd but that’s to be expected.

A decent shift to get him going again!

To be honest, I thought the line was good, we were just a bit narrow but thats probably more to do with their line-up more than anything else.
Fair point, however no defence, in any team, anywhere, has their left back as the one calling out the “step up” etc for the offside line. That is a centre backs job

Still far too early to tell, we’ve seen very little so far. Injury didn’t help, I’m not sure he was caught out of position for their 1st goal or we badly tried to play the offside trap, I think it was probably the offside trap.

He was not bad, not great. His crossing showed how rusty he is.

We won’t really know much until we’re a good few games in with him. He’s recovering from a long-term injury and learning how Beale wants him to operate all at once.

I don’t think his crossing is one of his attributes regardless of injuries.

I could end up being completely wrong but he looks like he will be more of a ball playing fullback and will be used to link attacks rather than get in behind all the time.

Don’t understand the amount of negativity towards him on this thread (not a dig at you), I feel folk enjoy moaning

How can people say he got caught out for the first goal when he correctly moved up alongside 2 other defenders ? It was Goldson that played the boy on.

He done ok, nothing special but getting minutes on the park after such a long lay off is exactly what he and the club needs.
People that have never played football at any sort of level. It was Goldsons fault. End of. Yilmaz got in line and tucked in. He looks more aggressive than Borna. Lovely pass to Fashion second half shows the quality. Our fan base really need to learn to give players time, especially those that haven't played in 5 months.

Think you need to have another look at it. Goldson is a yard behind everybody else and plays the boy on.

I could end up being completely wrong but he looks like he will be more of a ball playing fullback and will be used to link attacks rather than get in behind all the time.

Don’t understand the amount of negativity towards him on this thread (not a dig at you), I feel folk enjoy moaning

His crossing won't be Barisic-level, but as far as I'm aware he's decent enough at it? I just think the erratic nature of the crosses and his frustration at them highlights how much he's got to go in terms of match fitness.

And you are 100% correct, folk enjoy moaning. Some of the stuff on this thread is embarrassing but it's best to just try and ignore it.

That's exactly what the Turkish football fans on here said. He's aggressive, very good defensively and is an inverted full back that makes runs in behind. His crossing is his area of weakness. He won 4 out of 4 headers yesterday btw.

I haven’t called anything

All ive said is he’s not for me just my opinion

he hasn’t settled well, he hasn’t impressed me when he’s had game time, he doesn’t look suited to scottish football or Rangers

As i said happy to be proved wrong

I dont know why some people get so worked up over an opinion it’s not like I said he was shite or slated him

Grow up
154 SPFL minutes and you’re on FF greeting about him.

To coin your phrase - grow up.

A fucking idiotic bit of moaning at this incredibly early point in his Rangers career.

Goldson taking a bit of a battering here to defend Ridvan. I don’t think Goldson’s positioning is horrendous in truth, had he been leaning forwards rather than backwards they’d have given offside. I did think Ridvan could have been wider (looks like he’d drifted in because Davies was too far away from his man) but I’m far from convinced he’d have got to the winger anyway.

Goldson taking a bit of a battering here to defend Ridvan. I don’t think Goldson’s positioning is horrendous in truth, had he been leaning forwards rather than backwards they’d have given offside. I did think Ridvan could have been wider (looks like he’d drifted in because Davies was too far away from his man) but I’m far from convinced he’d have got to the winger anyway.

He's a yard behind the other 3 mate, look at the cut of the grass. No doubt at all he's the most culpable there.

Can't believe people are giving this guy a hard time, Gio didn't give him a chance, and when he did he get injured for 5 months. Lunatics.

I've not seen enough of him to have an honest and decent enough opinion yet. I've probably talked myself into wanting him to start in front of Borna because I'm not much of a Barisic fan.

However I don't know if yesterday he was told to play like Borna and throw crosses into the box. That's not his game and his running with the ball was one of the reasons I wanted him in the team in the first place.

From what I've seen of him so far, I think he would be a great player if played to his strengths

There was a poster on a couple of weeks ago with an over the top thread ( read like a Tim poster imo but who knows ) about how Yilmaz will prove all the doubters wrong out there and also that we finally have a player that can cross the ball. Wonder what he thought about yesterdays crossed balls.

Imo Yilmaz needs more time but from what I’ve seen so far he’s no better than Borna by any stretch of the imagination.

He's a yard behind the other 3 mate, look at the cut of the grass. No doubt at all he's the most culpable there.
He’s leaning back - as they all are - because they are starting to turn knowing the ball is coming. All 4 have stepped up and been done by the ball in behind. Would Ridvan being positioned wider have prevented/intercepted the pass? Quite possibly. I’d say both he and Davies are a little ‘lost’ in no man’s land in all honesty, despite the fact it’s Goldson’s back that ultimately is deemed to play the guy onside. Put it this way, when that pass was played I wasn’t shouting ‘FFS Goldson’. Were you?

Looks like a midfielder playing out of position to me.

I think it's clear he isn't going to be a defensive upgrade on Borna and we lose the crossing ability. Where he will be an upgrade possibly is when playing out from the back.

Surely you aren’t saying, the one guy outta the four that isn’t in line, isn’t to blame?

He’s leaning back - as they all are - because they are starting to turn knowing the ball is coming. All 4 have stepped up and been done by the ball in behind. Would Ridvan being positioned wider have prevented/intercepted the pass? Quite possibly. I’d say both he and Davies are a little ‘lost’ in no man’s land in all honesty, despite the fact it’s Goldson’s back that ultimately is deemed to play the guy onside. Put it this way, when that pass was played I wasn’t shouting ‘FFS Goldson’. Were you?
I was when I saw the replay and he'd played the guy on because he was the only one who wasn't in line?

It's the offside trap mate they'll train and practice it every day. Goldson has let the side down in that move and it's cost us the goal.

I’ll not comment on his ability to play football as to do so at this stage would be mental.

His height concerns me as up here, teams will stick a 6ft plus striker on him and use as an outball. We might see him getting played further up the park in future.

This season has been a write off really for Yilmaz. If he’s still here next year only then can he really be judged. He’s not played enough to be judged either good or bad

I’ll not comment on his ability to play football as to do so at this stage would be mental.

His height concerns me as up here, teams will stick a 6ft plus striker on him and use as an outball. We might see him getting played further up the park in future.
Try telling that to some of the maniacs in here that have written him off after about 160 minutes worth of football.

From the limited game time we’ve seen it’s clear his crossing ability is miles below Barisic’s which is an asset for us tbh.

I think he needs a proper run in the team before we can properly judge him. His height is a target for opposition though.

On the evidence so far, I think he looks an average player. Not poor but not great either and not looking like a player worth £3.5m from what little we’ve seen of him so far.

First start in a long time so the nerves were showing, especially at the first goal. Came in to his own during the rest of the game I thought. I don't see him as a wide player with a powerful and accurate cross like borna, he'd be better employed more infield

Back