Thoughts on Yilmaz

From the limited game time we’ve seen it’s clear his crossing ability is miles below Barisic’s which is an asset for us tbh.

I think he needs a proper run in the team before we can properly judge him. His height is a target for opposition though.

On the evidence so far, I think he looks an average player. Not poor but not great either and not looking like a player worth £3.5m from what little we’ve seen of him so far.

As good as Borna's crossing can be, it's also entirely predictable as well. Ball out wide, swing cross in. Repeat for 90 minutes

Having someone like Yilmaz who can help break the lines, play inside and make combination passes can only benefit us going forward

Guys hardly played all season, he's young, just left his boyhood club and moved to a whole new environment....quite a lot for him to take on. I for one will reserve judgement for now. Bassey didn't set the Heather alight his first season either and he done alright in the end.

Hard to judge anything about the lad on his first start back from being out injured for months. Won't stop some wanting him punted.

Reactions: fmp
Really got to question the IQs of people writing him off based on his game yesterday.

It's like they can't comprehend that the guy hasn't played in 5 months.

And then before his injury he had a few appearances, he hasn't got going at all and barely played football since last season.

Of course he will get slated on here because lots of people are idiots who don't take context into their views.

He is easily good enough to play in the SPFL. Whether he fits into Michael Beale’s future plans for Rangers is another matter. I hope he does because what I have seen so far, I like.

People that have never played football at any sort of level. It was Goldsons fault. End of. Yilmaz got in line and tucked in. He looks more aggressive than Borna. Lovely pass to Fashion second half shows the quality. Our fan base really need to learn to give players time, especially those that haven't played in 5 months.
Totally agree.

I have no concerns about the boys ability, a full pre season and we'll see an excellent player.

Never saw the game but being out so long it's difficult to be over critical or fully assess.

He will need games but as others have pointed out what Beale really thinks (and he's not saying that in a press conference) will determine if he retains a spot when BB comes back.

I've said before I would not be shocked if he goes back to Turkey on loan next season

Never saw the game but being out so long it's difficult to be over critical or fully assess.

He will need games but as others have pointed out what Beale really thinks (and he's not saying that in a press conference) will determine if he retains a spot when BB comes back.

I've said before I would not be shocked if he goes back to Turkey on loan next season

no chance that’s happening due to fee

I think he'll improve,given more game time and he's in the Raskin/ Cantwell camp in that he'll get better the more he plays. I like the fact he's willing to come inside off the wing and he offers something different. Unfair to judge him given he's still finding his feet in terms of getting into the team.

Give him time to settle, jeezo.

Just back from a long injury spell. Playing his 3rd or 4th start? Quote me if I’m wrong

I’m sure there were people writing off Tillman after his first few games too.

Haven't seen anyone say he's been good. Previous evidence would suggest he's good, but we've not really had a chance to see for ourselves. Most people understand it'll take more than 150 minutes or whatever he's had. It’s people saying "not for me" and writing him off who are being rightly criticised.
Yeah I do agree - writing him off is as absurd as blowing him up to be our next hero

Attention seeking most likely. Lets just let the lad settle in and see how he develops.

Horseshit.

Won pretty much everyone of his aerial duals today.
It's funny how I feel that and
He’ll be a cracker, for me it obvious that he’s a good player.

I genuinely wonder if half the folk on here actually watch football at times.
I think he will definitely be a good player but he needs to play in a side that consists of a back 3 aa I do believe he is small you could see when motherwell had tye ball they tried to get over him at every chance

For a guy who was criticised for being to small he sure won pretty much every aerial duel he had I think. It’s his first start in 5 months and the first 10 mins showed that, couple of overhit passes and crosses. But he settled in and played alright, nothing special. He’ll play more next season as first choice left back imo.

For a guy who was criticised for being to small he sure won pretty much every aerial duel he had I think. It’s his first start in 5 months and the first 10 mins showed that, couple of overhit passes and crosses. But he settled in and played alright, nothing special. He’ll play more next season as first choice left back imo.
His stats for Besiktas were quite impressive especially with his aerial duels.

Like you said he will play more next season and that will be best time to judge him.

Just back from a long injury spell. Playing his 3rd or 4th start? Quote me if I’m wrong

And Kent. 6 weeks into his loan. Fast forward 12 months and they're passing a kitty around trying to fund his signing.

Total waste of 5 million wilson should be sacked just for than no where near the standard required borna is miles in front of him

Think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt in my opinion.

Game time will benefit him but wasn't expecting him to be fully upto speed yesterday.

Watched Hagi when he come on at Easter Road and you could see his fitness just wasnt there either.

Will take a bit of time to get these guys back to full fitness.

Had a pretty quiet game, caught way out of position for the first goal but apart from that did ok.

Didn't think he had a bad game or an amazing game, but very different to the usual overlaps we get from Borna.

What did everyone else think?
If Goldson had his arse in gear it would have been a blatant offside. He looks forward more than Borna so that is a benefit. He was steady and will get better with more game time.

He done ok imo, still needs time to settle in.

The if Borna done that he’d get slaughtered patter is awful.

It will take him at least 6 games to get up to speed and possibly a good pre season.
The other thing is , will he settle here.
Not a lot of turkish players move to other countries.

The good thing is that if you’re written off early doors by the FF lunatics, you’re almost 100% guaranteed to go on and be a great player.

I can only imagine this thread has the usual dramatic “write off” of the player based on 1 game. He will need tme to settle and get used to the league, the team and his role in it.

He might have been at fault for goal, but the entire defence has been at fault for plenty this season are we writing them all off?

You’d move Borna??

He’s the best crosser of a ball in the league

When he’s gone thats a big hole to fill and Yilmaz for me wont offer the same service or assists

IMO
Maybe we stop throwing a million crosses into an empty box every week then? No bad thing.

Yilmaz has been advertised as a passer and you can see he's a different type of player to Borna and for me, we need to develop in a way that will ultimately suit the way Yilmaz plays. Defensively I thought he was fine for the most part. For a small man, I don't remember him losing a lot of headers

Anyone remember how long it took Borna to settle ? Almost a full season

Borna was almost out the door by the end of his first season due to his attitude and effort. He was part of that infamous Liverpool bounce game which had Stevie G seething at his senior players,

Only got a reprieve because he apologised to Gerrard when Lafferty and Grezda didn't.

Barcelona fans must really slate Jordi Alba for his height eh? Or Real fans when Roberto Carlos was full back. Wee midget fuckers.

Not sure about him and wouldnt want to slate or give him praise he may not be due. I'm in the reserve judgement for now camp

Agree CCM.

The positive I see so far is his ability & willingness to pass more centrally on occasions, while the negative is no obvious pace or strength.

Reserving judgment is fair at this stage.

People need to get with the times. 15/20 years ago 5m would buy you someone who could go straight into the first team and influence almost straight away.

That doesn’t happen now. 3m-7m now gets you highly rated youth players - Yilmaz, Tillman for example. What was Kent? 7.5m?

Yeah you can unearth gems, and get bosmans m (which I think is actually becoming more popular than its ever been), but you still need to invest.

His stats for Besiktas were quite impressive especially with his aerial duels.

Like you said he will play more next season and that will be best time to judge him.
Defensively, his stats tell us he is an upgrade on Borna. Like you say he aerial duals won is high in Turkey (They have tall players as well). He won all 4 of his headers yesterday. His crossing needs worked on but those that have watched him before said this before he signed.

An underated moment yesterday in the first half when Goldson lost the ball at the half way line. Motherwell break fast and Yilmaz got back at some speed and intercepted the ball in the box. It was great defensive cover at a crucial point in the game.

As good as Borna's crossing can be, it's also entirely predictable as well. Ball out wide, swing cross in. Repeat for 90 minutes

Having someone like Yilmaz who can help break the lines, play inside and make combination passes can only benefit us going forward
I’d say Barisic puts a lot of great balls in the box but we don’t have a striker that will attack a ball in the air with real aggression

Morelos isn’t great in the air
Colak is ok but not really aggressive
Roofe isn’t aggressive in the air either

I think he will come good and be a brilliant player for us. There's definitley potential.

If people can already believe he's shite then I, and others, can believe he will turn in to a cracking wee player.

Appalled that people are trying to exonerate Goldson for his part in that goal at the expense of Ridvan :D

Look at the grass and the line!

He was a very highly rated player before coming to us so obviouslyhas something.. He looked short of sharpness and confidence yesterday but not surprisingly given how long he has been out.

Christ, some of our players returning after a long injury absence get a harder time than the Murrells do on on the NatBashing thread.

Ridiculous.

He was just beginning to get a bit of game time before his injury and we all agreed we liked what we saw. Was making an impact in the Aberdeen game before he pulled up.
If you are making judgement on yesterdays game football is not for you.

Way too early to really say, I do like that he appears to be more willing to come central than Barisic though.

So many games where we just have absolutely no other ideas other than pass it out to Kent, Barisic over lap and cross (and repeat x 20)

Barisic has a brilliant delivery and appears to be better in that regard than Yilmaz but I think having a less predictable option could be a great asset in terms of the conundrum of unlocking packed defences.

he should be our throw in coach, i dont remember losing the ball at any of them, the only player i have seen recently throwing it infield over 20 yards to a spare man

Agree mate, he stepped up to hold very high line with the back 4, Goodson was the outlier sitting a few yards deeper for some reason!

Yilmaz was in the correct position.

Not everyone will agree but I want to see both our full backs phased out this season, we are already a season late with this, i think he is the man to take that LB slot.
He sprints back and plays the guy offside perfectly but Goldson doesn't and somehow Yilmaz gets the blame and then Goldson doesn't cut out the cross either.

Back