Thoughts Turn To The Semi Final

der_hammer10

Today is bitterly disappointing. We played incredibly well in the first half but it was a poor second.

The big picture is that we only had a slim chance of overhauling them in the league even with a win today.

That's now done and dusted. We regroup.

Importantly our players need to continue to recognise that the Scum are poor defensively and that we score goals against them.

On another day, we win that game.

The Semi should hold no fear for us. We have made massive strides in 2 months. That could yet still see us land a trophy.

There is a reason the fans were optimistic for today. And that's because our Manager and players have given us belief. Something we didn't have a few months ago.

That belief shouldn't diminish off the back of one game. In fact today should convince you further that we can outplay them, and we can score against them.

The Semi Final is massive. And we can beat them. Confidence should remain.

Last edited:
Its stopping them scoring thats the problem, we cant set up like we did today, a Walter team is first and foremost hard to beat thats what is needed.

I am feeling incredibly disappointed after that. We will never have a better chance to beat them. I for one am expecting exactly the same in the cup.

That’s all well and good but I have absolutely zero confidence in our defence.

You don’t win games when you ship sloppy goals continually.

Still got 3 games before then. Thoughts turn to Kilmarnock which certainly won't be an easy game.

Get some wins on the board, get some confidence and make 2nd safer - then we can go for it in the semi.

Hopefully Dorrans is back and swap for Goss. Man light in midfield today, docherty doing 2 players jobs. I feel Goss is not a big game player, said it since Hibs

Saying that we are not far behind them, deserved something from today and they are definitely there for the taking

No faith whatsoever beating them.The team continually to let us down when it really matters.The SF will be no different.

Didn’t think we were excellent in the first half. We had some good spells but Wes had to make too many saves.

We all more or less predicted a high scoring game today, especially with two poor defences on show. However, our defence is embarrassingly poor and their second goal at the end of the first half psychologically destroyed us. We couldn't even beat 10 men and their reserve keeper in that second half.

That’s all well and good but I have absolutely zero confidence in our defence.

You don’t win games when you ship sloppy goals continually.

I'd point you to the 0-0 at the Tattie Bowl in December. Of course we can shut them out.

The difference now is we have attacking talent.

Cardoso was always onto a hiding when he came on because of the lack of match practice.

If Bates stays on, who knows.

We gave them far too much room in the middle of the park, the three at the back for them looked garbage, we should've pressed them more.

From a mental point of view I thought our heads went down after their 3rd. A bit more hunger today after the sending off and it could have been different.

Frustrating as fck.

I think the semi final will and probably should be make or break for Murty.

If he wins it, the job is probably his, but if he loses again, big questions will be asked of his suitability long term.

And I think that's fair.

What we're now looking for is character, from both the players and the manager, to learn from today and up their game for the semi final.

They need to show they have the mentality to win these matches.

Do that and I'll be much more confident that we can proceed under the current coach next term, but if we don't, if we fail again, are second best to that lot yet again, we really should be considering our options this summer.

I'd point you to the 0-0 at the Tattie Bowl in December. Of course we can shut them out.

The difference now is we have attacking talent.

Cardoso was always onto a hiding when he came on because of the lack of match practice.

If Bates stays on, who knows.

Bates was a huge part of that on the day, from the look of him on crutches second half he’ll be lucky to be back for the Semi.

Any combination of Alves/Cardoso/Martin gives me the fear.

Next couple of games will tell us where the players heads are at and if they are mentally up for it.
Kilmarnock and Motherwell will be big tests.
A bit of luck with injuries and a bit of self belief and we’ll be there or thereabouts.
No surrender.

Hopefully we’ll have Dorrans and McCrorie back by then.

The manky mob have a stronger squad than we do and better options on the bench.

Semi will be difficult. A win today would’ve gave us belief and confidence.

Today is bitterly disappointing. We played incredibly well in the first half but it was a poor second.

The big picture is that we only had a slim chance of overhauling them in the league even with a win today.

That's now done and dusted. We regroup.

Importantly our players need to continue to recognise that the Scum are poor defensively and that we score goals against them.

On another day, we win that today.

The Semi should hold no fear for us. We have made massive strides in 2 months. That could yet still see us land a trophy.

There is a reason the fans were optimistic for day. And that's because our Manager and players have given us belief. Something we didn't have a few months ago.

That belief shouldn't diminish off the back of one game. In fact today should convince you further that we can outplay them, and we can score against them.

The Semi Final is massive. And we can beat them. Confidence should remain.

My thoughts exactly!

I know, i know he scored but we are not in a position yet to be having a flair player not defending much, we need to get 3 in midfield and take it from there.
He needs to be told to take a look at himself though mate. Candeias is a great example of a guys who offers something going forward but knows what needs done at the other end of the park and Windass needs to learn that. My only beef with Candeias today was not taking Brown out before the ball to Dembele at the end of the first half.

Hopefully Dorrans is back and swap for Goss. Man light in midfield today, docherty doing 2 players jobs. I feel Goss is not a big game player, said it since Hibs

Saying that we are not far behind them, deserved something from today and they are definitely there for the taking
I think McCrorie would be a bigger difference, hope he is not far away now

We’ve got bigger problems now as far as filth games are concerned.

Clearly we’re mentally weak in these games. So how is it going to be now that they’ve lost AGAIN at home but also to 10 men with us on a decent run of form and confidence high? This could, and knowing this lot probably will, get in their heads and further degrade their mentality.

It's a hard one to take
Something has to change though in order that the semi final result is any different
They took 2 harder chances than we missed - it' that simple
But I also believe we lacked a bit if belief for some reason
And I wasn' too sure who was playing where in central midfield at times
We are due a wee bit of luck surely which is maybe all we need to change one of these games for us
Today in scoring their first they badly injure our player then score in the added on time from that injury to change the game going in at half time
Our players need to show some baws

They owe us a fucking win.

If we’re going in with Alves and Cardoso at CB then it’s hard to be optimistic.

Get Cummings in the team from now until that game.

We'e not yet good enough, they have better players in key areas than we do, our defence is a disaster waiting to happen, when we get to their box the final ball is more often than not complete gash, add that to the fact that their fitness levels and athleticism seem to far superior to ours, I find it difficult to see where this victory is coming from

I genuinely don't give a fck about the cup.

I know we are hurting after today but come on. The cup is massive. We've not won it in 9 years and they are looking at back to back trebles. The players owe us big time after today.

Having said that unless our defence drastically improves then I'm far frkm confident.

Unless we match them with midfield numbers then we will lose.
They are an experienced team used to winning and we are a slightly better Aberdeen.
The better managers Rogers, Lennon, Clarke know to beat us over run us in the middle as they know we only play 2 mids and have 2 wide players and 2 attacking players.
Until we change this we will never beat them.

Back