Three big games this weekend none on tv

And yet there’s some who won’t entertain the idea of league construction because they think we have to keep Sky happy.

Sky are complete shite for Scottish football.

When the rights come up for renewal I hope BT get exclusive rights.

All of our away matches and all of their away matches should be live on TV. And each weekend should feature a live game not involving us or them.

I noticed Celtic away to Hibs isn’t televised either in a couple of weeks.

Granted it wasn’t when they drew 2-2 there last season either. But it’s a bit odd. It’s still one one the more appealing games.

Away to Dundee or Ross county, fine, but, even if one takes off the blue tinted specs, as a paying customer I would expect Hearts/Hibs v Rangers/Celtic games to be televised

Taking the blue goggles off, in terms of the league it’s an interesting game

Both teams have started the season well, only a point between them and both above Celtic
True but it won't be enough to pull in decent viewing figures. They're also only allowed to show teams at home a certain amount of times. There will be 2 x derbies, 2 x Rangers and 2 x celtic fixtures for Hibs at home. Sky ain't wasting one of their choices on Dundee utd.

I only recently realised that this 'new record breaking deal' for Scottish football resulted in a reduction of games by 20% odd.

all on Saturday at 1500 though which is probably a better USP for the league

Hibs v Dundee United should never be considered for TV until Hibs can get 90% of tickets sold against sides outside us and the tramps.

celtic tv, hibs tv, dundee utd tv, motherwell tv, hearts tv

someone told me most clubs have their own club channels

don't know much about it tbh

Must be a Celtic minded journalist to think that Motherwell (4th) v Celtic (6th) is a big game.

Only one big game and that is the top of the table clash. Who gives a flying fish about mid table medicority?

True but it won't be enough to pull in decent viewing figures. They're also only allowed to show teams at home a certain amount of times. There will be 2 x derbies, 2 x Rangers and 2 x celtic fixtures for Hibs at home. Sky ain't wasting one of their choices on Dundee utd.
Yes that's true but that 'rule' should be scrapped.

Imagine Sky not showing Chelsea v Man City? That’s the EPL equivalent of Rangers v Hearts. Insane. They’re showing Dundee v Aberdeen which about 200 people will watch.

Don't think any game is on from the league this weekend

I would imagine more games v Hearts haven't been televised than have to be fair, selfish point of view I am delighted it isn't on TV

Must be a Celtic minded journalist to think that Motherwell (4th) v Celtic (6th) is a big game.

Only one big game and that is the top of the table clash. Who gives a flying fish about mid table medicority?

That’s pretty disingenuous though.

Yes is great fun to sneer at them, but Motherwell being a tricky away game, you would expect both Rangers and celtics visits there to be broadcast

The big game of the weekend Dundee v Aberdeen was put back from 3pm to 6pm to attract a US audience. I'm not joking here, Nelms and Cormack actually believe this match will appeal to the yanks.

That’s pretty disingenuous though.

Yes is great fun to sneer at them, but Motherwell being a tricky away game, you would expect both Rangers and celtics visits there to be broadcast
If Im head of sport on Sky, and I have the choice between top of the table Rangers v Hearts or a mid table Confrence League spot play off between Motherwell & Celtic, its a no brainer which game to choose.

Eh ?​

The UK will host the 26th UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26) in Glasgow on 31 October – 12 November 2021.​

In short:

- Matchday 4 on Thursday 4th November falls during COP26, so both us and them have been told by Police that we can't have a home game then (presumably due to Police resource concerns)
- We were supposed to be away in Denmark then anyway, with Celtic at home, so Celtic's double header with Ferencvaros was agreed to be flipped to be at the Piggery first in Matchday 3
- That would have had both us and them playing in Glasgow next Thursday, which is obviously a non-starter for various reasons. As Champions and the higher ranked side, we get priority from UEFA's perspective and remain on the Thursday slot.
- Due to UEFA's daft rules on Champions League TV coverage their match cannot take place at the same time as televised CL matches which rules out Tuesday or Wednesday between 5-ish and 10pm.
- Therefore they are having to play next Tuesday at 3.30pm, which is funny.

Last edited:
I only recently realised that this 'new record breaking deal' for Scottish football resulted in a reduction of games by 20% odd.
I think Its a 'record breaking deal' because its actually a longer contract than previous but actually less money per year.

It's something along those lines and it's actually not a good deal at all but they peddle the record breaking line.

Our home games against the jobbers mid season are never on sky.

No one is interested in watching Hibs v Dundee Utd apart from those 2 sets of fans.
All about opinions mate.

It's the league our team play in, so it's certainly of more interest to me than any EPL game.
I like to see how other teams are playing and who's starting for them.

I guess that's why I'll always watch Sportscene over Match of the Day.

All about opinions mate.

It's the league our team play in, so it's certainly of more interest to me than any EPL game.
I like to see how other teams are playing and who's starting for them.

I guess that's why I'll always watch Sportscene over Match of the Day.
Fair enough mate. Not trying to be uber staunch but I rarely watch any football other than our games. Just don't have time, and if I do I get bored easily when i don't have an interest in the match.

There is no way Hibs v DU is pulling in big viewing figures down south though.

Fair enough mate. Not trying to be uber staunch but I rarely watch any football other than our games. Just don't have time, and if I do I get bored easily when i don't have an interest in the match.

There is no way Hibs v DU is pulling in big viewing figures down south though.

I agree mate regarding the viewing figures.

Tbh, apart from the CL goals show, I hardly really watch any football now outside of Scotland.

I'm only interested in Rangers, so that's the only reason I'll watch other Scottish games , so I can see our opponents.

Each to their own though.

As I said before it down to the scheduling of the game and Sky themselves that means that some games aren't shown

This is the 1st weekend there is no live game and the 1st midweek is on 27th October there is no live game from the SPFL Premiership

It seems to an increasing trend with both us and Celtic however, a diminishing number of away TV games. I think someone above said this latest contract with Sky is for less games.

I’m purely speculating here with no hard evidence, but I reckon us and Celtic have had more non-televised away games in this last season and a bit than we would have had in the rest of the 21st century combined.

That seems outrageous but I think it’s true.
Until last season it was practically a shocking novelty when an away game wasn’t on telly

As I said before it down to the scheduling of the game and Sky themselves that means that some games aren't shown

This is the 1st weekend there is no live game and the 1st midweek is on 27th October there is no live game from the SPFL Premiership
Also down to the 4 home televised games as well. Their game with Hibs, our game in a couple of weeks and then Dundee Utd in November takes them to 3 televised home games.

The extra Derby games this season has ruined the schedule.

I noticed Celtic away to Hibs isn’t televised either in a couple of weeks.

Granted it wasn’t when they drew 2-2 there last season either. But it’s a bit odd. It’s still one one the more appealing games.

Away to Dundee or Ross county, fine, but, even if one takes off the blue tinted specs, as a paying customer I would expect Hearts/Hibs v Rangers/Celtic games to be televised
Hibs having probably 2 Derby matches will effect SKY'S game choice. None of their games with the tims were on SKY last season.

Hibs having probably 2 Derby matches will effect SKY'S game choice. None of their games with the tims were on SKY last season.

Would imagine so.

I still can’t believe an Edinburgh derby or Dundee derby would draw more viewers than their game v Rangers or Celtic though.

It seems to an increasing trend with both us and Celtic however, a diminishing number of away TV games. I think someone above said this latest contract with Sky is for less games.

I’m purely speculating here with no hard evidence, but I reckon us and Celtic have had more non-televised away games in this last season and a bit than we would have had in the rest of the 21st century combined.

That seems outrageous but I think it’s true.
Until last season it was practically a shocking novelty when an away game wasn’t on telly
Very rare not to have our and theirs away game shown via a TV contract from 2002-03 season onwards until last season and this season

When the SPL was created in 1998 and secured the original 4 year deal with Sky Sports it was only 30 games a season and part of the contract that 3 of the 4 Old Firm games only. BBC Scotland showed the other one from 1999/00 to 2001/02, the SPL even trialed PPV in the later part 2000/01 season

In truth we have never really been able to market the game up here to a certain extent

The people running his club are the people who have been negotiating the tv deal for years along with their placemen. Remember Liewell and Doncaster jetting down to save their tv deal when we were in the bottom division. One club is to blame for the state of our tv deal.

Back