Three big games this weekend none on tv

Also down to the 4 home televised games as well. Their game with Hibs, our game in a couple of weeks and then Dundee Utd in November takes them to 3 televised home games.

The extra Derby games this season has ruined the schedule.
Yes that if right

From a previous thread on the TV fixtures

It is down to scheduling issues both for Sky and the game in some cases as well what is the contract is

SPFL is shown on Sky Sports Football and is simulcast on Sky Sports Main Event mostly That midweek is League Cup in England Preston v Liverpool on 27th October - Football & Main Event hence why no game shown live despite Sky Sports have other channels

It is going to be interesting post-split what is going to happen from the broadcast selection, yes 4 but as last season shows 5, and under the previous shared deal with BT Sport upto 6 at the non-Old Firm grounds

Sky have selected upto w/e of 3rd January 2022

R1 Saturday 31st July 2021 Rangers v Livingston
R1 Saturday 31st July 2021 Hearts v Celtic
R1 Sunday 1st August 2021 Motherwell v Hibs
R2 Saturday 7th August 2021 Dundee United v Rangers
R3 Sunday 22nd August 2021 Dundee v Hibs
R4 Sunday 29th August 2021 Rangers v Celtic
R5 Saturday 11th September 2021 St Johnstone v Rangers
R5 Sunday 12th September 2021 Hearts v Hibs

R6 Sunday 19th September 2021 Dundee United v Dundee
R7 Sunday 26th September 2021 St Mirren v Aberdeen
R8 Sunday 3rd October 2021 Aberdeen v Celtic
R10 Sunday 24th October 2021 St Mirren v Rangers
R12 Sunday 31st October 2021 Motherwell v Rangers
R13 Sunday 7th November 2021 Dundee v Celtic
R15 Sunday 28th November 2021 Livingston v Rangers
R16 Tuesday 30th November 2021 Motherwell v Dundee United

R16 Wednesday 1st December 2021 Hibs v Rangers
R16 Thursday 2nd December 2021 Celtic v Hearts
R17 Sunday 5th December 2021 Dundee United v Celtic
R18 Sunday 12th December 2021 Hearts v Rangers
R20 Sunday 26th December 2021 St Johnstone v Celtic
R21 Wednesday 29th December 2021 Aberdeen v Rangers
R22 Sunday 2nd January 2022 Celtic v Rangers
R22 Monday 3rd January 2022 Hibs v Hearts

No selection
R9 w/e of 16th October
R11 m/w of 27th October
R14 w/e of 20th November
R19 w/e of 18th December - currently - LC Final weekend

Non Sky Rangers & Celtic aways

Ross County v Rangers - Sunday 23rd August * moved due to EL originally Saturday
Livingston v Celtic = Sunday 19th September * moved due to EL originally Saturday
Dundee v Rangers - Saturday 25th September
Motherwell v Celtic - Saturday 16th October
Hibs v Celtic - Wednesday 27th October
Ross County v Celtic Wednesday 15th December * moved due to LC Semi-final w/e 20th November

Would imagine so.

I still can’t believe an Edinburgh derby or Dundee derby would draw more viewers than their game v Rangers or Celtic though.
Nah I would doubt it but because it's derby games sky will think they will get the viewing figures. I suspect for example when we have to go to Easter Road the 2nd time we will have to go through Hibs TV to watch it and probably same for return trip to Tannadice.

Very rare not to have our and theirs away game shown via a TV contract from 2002-03 season onwards until last season and this season

When the SPL was created in 1998 and secured the original 4 year deal with Sky Sports it was only 30 games a season and part of the contract that 3 of the 4 Old Firm games only. BBC Scotland showed the other one from 1999/00 to 2001/02, the SPL even trialed PPV in the later part 2000/01 season

In truth we have never really been able to market the game up here to a certain extent

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

I used to listen on the radio prior to 02/03 so wouldn’t have been conscious of what was televised. But when the BBC picked up the rights for the following two seasons, their live game was pretty much always Celtic or Rangers away in rotation.

From 2002/2002 to 2019/2020 (excluding perhaps the 4 year hiatus) I feel pretty comfortable saying you would be able to count on one hand the number of Rangers away games that weren’t televised.

And I fancy you might have had some fingers spare too

I’m cancelling my sky sports at the end of the season. 3 away games already this season not been shown on tv for us.

Yes that if right

From a previous thread on the TV fixtures

It is down to scheduling issues both for Sky and the game in some cases as well what is the contract is

SPFL is shown on Sky Sports Football and is simulcast on Sky Sports Main Event mostly That midweek is League Cup in England Preston v Liverpool on 27th October - Football & Main Event hence why no game shown live despite Sky Sports have other channels

It is going to be interesting post-split what is going to happen from the broadcast selection, yes 4 but as last season shows 5, and under the previous shared deal with BT Sport upto 6 at the non-Old Firm grounds

Sky have selected upto w/e of 3rd January 2022

R1 Saturday 31st July 2021 Rangers v Livingston
R1 Saturday 31st July 2021 Hearts v Celtic
R1 Sunday 1st August 2021 Motherwell v Hibs
R2 Saturday 7th August 2021 Dundee United v Rangers
R3 Sunday 22nd August 2021 Dundee v Hibs
R4 Sunday 29th August 2021 Rangers v Celtic
R5 Saturday 11th September 2021 St Johnstone v Rangers
R5 Sunday 12th September 2021 Hearts v Hibs

R6 Sunday 19th September 2021 Dundee United v Dundee
R7 Sunday 26th September 2021 St Mirren v Aberdeen
R8 Sunday 3rd October 2021 Aberdeen v Celtic
R10 Sunday 24th October 2021 St Mirren v Rangers
R12 Sunday 31st October 2021 Motherwell v Rangers
R13 Sunday 7th November 2021 Dundee v Celtic
R15 Sunday 28th November 2021 Livingston v Rangers
R16 Tuesday 30th November 2021 Motherwell v Dundee United

R16 Wednesday 1st December 2021 Hibs v Rangers
R16 Thursday 2nd December 2021 Celtic v Hearts
R17 Sunday 5th December 2021 Dundee United v Celtic
R18 Sunday 12th December 2021 Hearts v Rangers
R20 Sunday 26th December 2021 St Johnstone v Celtic
R21 Wednesday 29th December 2021 Aberdeen v Rangers
R22 Sunday 2nd January 2022 Celtic v Rangers
R22 Monday 3rd January 2022 Hibs v Hearts

No selection
R9 w/e of 16th October
R11 m/w of 27th October
R14 w/e of 20th November
R19 w/e of 18th December - currently - LC Final weekend

Non Sky Rangers & Celtic aways

Ross County v Rangers - Sunday 23rd August * moved due to EL originally Saturday
Livingston v Celtic = Sunday 19th September * moved due to EL originally Saturday
Dundee v Rangers - Saturday 25th September
Motherwell v Celtic - Saturday 16th October
Hibs v Celtic - Wednesday 27th October
Ross County v Celtic Wednesday 15th December * moved due to LC Semi-final w/e 20th November
Yeah doesn't help they sign a contract to show 12 less games a season but pass it off as positive cause it's more money. We are certainly going to have to pay clubs more than 3 times this season to view our games

Very rare not to have our and theirs away game shown via a TV contract from 2002-03 season onwards until last season and this season

When the SPL was created in 1998 and secured the original 4 year deal with Sky Sports it was only 30 games a season and part of the contract that 3 of the 4 Old Firm games only. BBC Scotland showed the other one from 1999/00 to 2001/02, the SPL even trialed PPV in the later part 2000/01 season

In truth we have never really been able to market the game up here to a certain extent
It’s cart before the horse.

The fundamentals of the Scottish game are all wrong. That’s why it’s a shit product and that’s why we only get mediocre TV deals.

You need to have a competitive league without teams playing each other too often. You need to make tickets more affordable to get the stands full. You need to allow supporters to stand and have a drink if they wish.

I’d have a top league of 18 teams, 34 games per season, with three or even four sides relegated.

Everyone plays each other once at home and once away. Fixtures announced in early July, season begins a month later with a break during January (34 games a season allows this quite comfortably).

That way, everyone has something to play for. Even by March/April, a mid table side could still be embroiled in a relegation fight, or be pushing for a Europa League or Conference League spot.

Get all of that sorted and you’ll increase interest in the game, and that is what will get you a decent TV deal.

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

I used to listen on the radio prior to 02/03 so wouldn’t have been conscious of what was televised. But when the BBC picked up the rights for the following two seasons, their live game was pretty much always Celtic or Rangers away in rotation.

From 2002/2002 to 2019/2020 (excluding perhaps the 4 year hiatus) I feel pretty comfortable saying you would be able to count on one hand the number of Rangers away games that weren’t televised.

And I fancy you might have had some fingers spare too
While I would need to check completely in terms of the top flight games at least 6 away I know of

Kilmarnock 2002/03 - August opening game no deal in place

Livingston 2002/03 - September was original to be on BBC Scotland on the Sunday but moved back to the Saturday due to playing in UEFA Cup on the Tuesday

Dundee United 2009/10 - May due to Dundee United already have 6 homes shown

Hearts 2011/12 - April due to Hearts already having 6 homes shown

Partick 2016/17 - February due to been originally scheduled on SC postponement/replay midweek wasn't selected

St Johnstone 2016/17 - May last game of the season wasn't selected

2012/13-2015/16 lower league deal was Sky 5 games either home or away & ESPN/BT Sport 10 (3 home 7 aways) meant some aways weren't to be shown

The fundamentals of the Scottish game are all wrong. That’s why it’s a shit product and that’s why we only get mediocre TV deals.

You need to have a competitive league without teams playing each other too often. You need to make tickets more affordable to get the stands full. You need to allow supporters to stand and have a drink if they wish.

I’d have a top league of 18 teams, 34 games per season, with three or even four sides relegated.

Everyone plays each other once at home and once away. Fixtures announced in early July, season begins a month later with a break during January (34 games a season allows this quite comfortably).

That way, everyone has something to play for. Even by March/April, a mid table side could still be embroiled in a relegation fight, or be pushing for a Europa League or Conference League spot.

Get all of that sorted and you’ll increase interest in the game, and that is what will get you a decent TV deal.
Too much sense here

Course the set-up can play a part to why it isn't the best but we can still do better if the right people are in charge that is also part of why we are failing

Getting fans interested to attend also key as it show that people are wanting to go every week

celtic tv, hibs tv, dundee utd tv, motherwell tv, hearts tv

someone told me most clubs have their own club channels

don't know much about it tbh
You can subscribe to them or watch the games by other means,. The picture quality on the team we are playing is usually better than the paid Rangers TV i have, but the commentary is terrible.

The silly notion of "sky wouldn't allow it" when it comes to reconstruction is even more false now.

if the league increased to 18 there would be higher demand for the key matches.

No game at Ibrox at this stage of the season would ever have been on tv anyway, except the filth.

Why do they play 3:30pm Tuesday!?
Matchday 4 coincides with COP26 so police said no games that week therefore we are both home on matchday 3. We can't play on same day so as Champions we keep the Thursday slot and they have to play Tuesday or Wednesday, but aren't allowed to clash with Champions League.

Alcohol isnt coming back any time soon. There may be a demand from fans but there's strong political opposition. Too many fans would use it as an excuse to drink even more - we don't have a continental style culture or healthy relationship with alcohol. Fans wouldn't buy into the idea of beer sold at games being lower strength - maybe a maximum 2% abv. They wouldn't accept certain games being no alcohol games. Then there's the issue of travel. Folk look at the Bundesliga as the model to follow. Understandably so as there's a load to like about German football. It' not always the case that stadiums are served by tram or S-Bahn services, but even when they're served by buses, German fans can rely on cheap/often free public transport on the day of a game. Fans can have a drink because there are alternative options for travelling to and from the ground. Imagine doing that in Glasgow? The subway isnt fit for purpose, there's no train station as an alternative and traffic around the ground on the day of a game is terrible. Public transport is an additional cost. You're not going to encourage people to drink sensibly at games and take advantage of a couple of beers in the ground if they can't do that because they've had to drive to Ibrox.

Safe standing? Nobody is staying at home rather than going to a football game because they can't stand at a match. Rail standing sections can be really good, but theres a cost involved in installing them that isnt going to be covered by increased ticket sales and most folk would refuse to pay current SPFL prices for a safe standing section. Essentially you''re taking on a large bill to convert a section to safe standing and then charging the fans who want to stand at games less money than you do just now. Great for folk who go to games and who want a cheaper standing section but the only teams that it actually makes sense for are us and the mhanks because you can fit a few more folk in a safe standing section. So you could stick rail seating in the lower Broomloan and maybe get another 1000 fans in there, but at a cost to the club for installation and an overall cost in reduced ticket prices.

Football costs what it costs in Scotland. Motherwell tried cutting ticket prices and throwing money at the likes of Goram and John Spencer. Didnt result in an increase in fans. I'm not really surprised - since I was old enough to pay attention to the discussion about football (early 90s), I heard our national broadcast media tell the world that Scottish football was shite and wasnt worth bothering about. Scottish football fans will regularly complain that our football is shite and isnt worth bothering about. And we're surprised when the world at large believes us and takes absolutely no interest in our domestic game, believing it when journalists and supporters tell them that our football is shite and isnt worth bothering about. You don't get that with other sports. I follow Glasgow Clan. We all know that the EIHL is one of the poorer leagues in Europe. NHL it is not. But you rarely hear fans telling others how crap the league is - they typically talk about how great a game hockey is and how much fun it is to follow a team and go to games. The Clan crowd has some football fans in it, but they were very successful at attracting the kind of people who don't follow Scottish football. Football really needs to look at the reasons why people don't go to games. Stadiums that lack basic facilities such as toilets with doors that close and lock, hot water and hand towels. Poorly maintained grounds that are miserable to be in. An atmosphere that puts a lot of people off. The negative perception folk have of football in general and the old firm in particular.

Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic - tinkering with the size of each division and the number of games per season - and giving existing fans access to safe standing isnt going to make a bit of difference. We need a complete rethink of the domestic game.

The silly notion of "sky wouldn't allow it" when it comes to reconstruction is even more false now.

if the league increased to 18 there would be higher demand for the key matches.

There would be fewer key matches.

Sky are only interested in the old fir games for audiences outside of Scotland and for showing as many Rangers and Celtic games as possible for Rangers and Celtic fans. There's an interest for Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs etc fans to watch their team, but that isnt going to do much for subscription numbers. The TV deal is essentially Rangers v Celtic for a UK-wide audience who still look at the old firm as a grotesque spectacle and Rangers and Celtic games for OF fans who are willing to subscribe to watch their team play away games.

Losing 2 old firm games to add Rangers v Caley Thistle or Celtic v Dunfermline is of absolutely no interest to Sky. That doesnt mean that we shouldn't look at reconstruction anyway as less repetition could well benefit our game. But it would be a move that Sky would oppose.

More people go to games in Scotland, per head of population, than anywhere in Europe!

The old firm skew that massively.

Its not particularly healthy when on a weekend where either of the OF are playing at home, the attendance at Ibrox or the San Giro will be about the same as the rest of Scottish football combined.

Taking the blue goggles off, in terms of the league it’s an interesting game

Both teams have started the season well, only a point between them and both above Celtic
We should be promoting the league so games need to be on TV. Whoever puts these TV deals together need their heads looked at. Never mind though at least there's an epic Accies v Thistle snore fest scheduled.

More people go to games in Scotland, per head of population, than anywhere in Europe!
The numbers on that are very much down to a small population ( less than 6 million) and two huge clubs drawing in over 50,000 every home game and taking thousands to each away game.

If you removed the old firm and do the numbers again it would be nowhere near the top.

No you won't because our biggest sellers to TV land are the four old firm matches. After that they want four derbies in Edinburgh vand four in Dundee plus four of us v sheep. What company on earth is going to pay big for a league full of dross like Hamilton, Livi and Partick. 18 team league is lunacy.

No you won't because our biggest sellers to TV land are the four old firm matches. After that they want four derbies in Edinburgh vand four in Dundee plus four of us v sheep. What company on earth is going to pay big for a league full of dross like Hamilton, Livi and Partick. 18 team league is lunacy.
They don’t “pay big” as it is.

Relative to the big teams, there’s plenty of “dross” in the Eredivisie. Yet they have an excellent TV deal without the broadcasters demanding Ajax v Feyenoord four times a season.

There’s a reason why the best and most competitive leagues are once at home and once away.

This playing certain teams four times per season, and league split, smacks of a tinpot small time league.

Relative to the big teams, there’s plenty of “dross” in the Eredivisie. Yet they have an excellent TV deal without the broadcasters demanding Ajax v Feyenoord four times a season.

There’s a reason why the best and most competitive leagues are once at home and once away.

This playing certain teams four times per season, and league split, smacks of a tinpot small time league.

Because those leagues are run better and have better teams that are of a far closer quality level?

League 1 right now is an ultra competitive division. Doesnt make it a great league. It is an enjoyable league to follow but being competitive doesnt make it high quality.

And they will pay less for 18 team league. We dont get a good deal because we don't have proper businessmen in charge of the SPFL.

The tweet in the OP is from one of them.

Their game is the only one of these ties that would ever be on TV.

But that's standard now just like it was for us v Dundee as an example.

I'd hope every game was 3pm on a Saturday home and away and not on TV. Always been how I personally would want it.

And they will pay less for 18 team league. We dont get a good deal because we don't have proper businessmen in charge of the SPFL.
What would proper businessmen do? How would they market the league?

A 12 team league with a ludicrous split is a joke of a format. And that is why Sky pay us peanuts.

It's great back to the old days, Saturday football 3 o'clock get out there and support your club. Too much football on television.

We should be promoting the league so games need to be on TV. Whoever puts these TV deals together need their heads looked at. Never mind though at least there's an epic Accies v Thistle snore fest scheduled.
To be fair the championship contract is separate to the main TV deal and that's why that game is on tonight.

Need to remember though with Hearts and Dundee coming up that meant 6 extra Derby matches for SKY to consider showing which they probably will end up doing. The new contract reducing from 60 games to 48 doesnt help and you're right Doncaster should be chased for signing it off as well as only allowing 4 home games to be televised in a season.

What would proper businessmen do? How would they market the league?

A 12 team league with a ludicrous split is a joke of a format. And that is why Sky pay us peanuts.
OK. You are right. Sky will pay more money if we drop two old firm games, drop two Edinburgh derbies and drop two Dundee derbies and replace those games with trips to Hamilton and Partick. A real no brainer.

To be fair the championship contract is separate to the main TV deal and that's why that game is on tonight.

Need to remember though with Hearts and Dundee coming up that meant 6 extra Derby matches for SKY to consider showing which they probably will end up doing. The new contract reducing from 60 games to 48 doesnt help and you're right Doncaster should be chased for signing it off as well as only allowing 4 home games to be televised in a season.
Let them show the games they want to show and perhaps they will pay more money. Nobody pays for what they don't get. All our better fixtures and fuller stadiums should be on. That's what helps to market it most.

OK. You are right. Sky will pay more money if we drop two old firm games, drop two Edinburgh derbies and drop two Dundee derbies and replace those games with trips to Hamilton and Partick. A real no brainer.
Sky will pay more money if the league becomes more competitive.

I have illustrated how we make it more competitive. You’ve offered nothing but sarcasm.

Maybe we should just continue as it is and continue to moan about having a shit TV deal.

That’s the Scottish way, isn’t it? Be a grumpy bastard and offer no alternative suggestions. Do nothing and yet still expect things to change.

Let them show the games they want to show and perhaps they will pay more money. Nobody pays for what they don't get. All our better fixtures and fuller stadiums should be on. That's what helps to market it most.
They've no interest in Scottish football its why they pay peanuts for it. If they could show every game of ours as well as the tims they would do it but then clubs aren't going to be happy with not being shown.

Why? Because it is an absolute rip off and you can watch it far cheaper from other outlets. That is why.
You get nowhere near the same service though. Ive been there and done it with various iptv subscriptions over the years but theres always some sort of f.ucking about involved or streams buffering. Each to their own but i prefer what sky offer and would rather pay for their service than fanny about with others.

Sky will pay more money if the league becomes more competitive.

I have illustrated how we make it more competitive. You’ve offered nothing but sarcasm.

Maybe we should just continue as it is and continue to moan about having a shit TV deal.

That’s the Scottish way, isn’t it? Be a grumpy bastard and offer no alternative suggestions. Do nothing and yet still expect things to change.
To be fair you are putting up an argument and ideas which is positive and I credit you for that but Roger Mitchell used to do that and Sky were cold enough to laugh him out of the building and dropped their bid. Why? Because it didn't give them what they wanted so the game lost investment. Mark Warburton, who remember was previously deeply involved in big business always maintained that what Scottish football needed to make it better and increase competition was investment. By simply increasing the league to 18 teams the investment and therefore improvement will not happen. Sky have made it clear...there must be 4 old firm games or there's less investment. Just as they cut it when we were not in the premiership. We will agree to disagree with each other on this I think. 2-0 for us tomorrow I think vs Hearts. Fingers crossed.

To be fair you are putting up an argument and ideas which is positive and I credit you for that but Roger Mitchell used to do that and Sky were cold enough to laugh him out of the building and dropped their bid. Why? Because it didn't give them what they wanted so the game lost investment. Mark Warburton, who remember was previously deeply involved in big business always maintained that what Scottish football needed to make it better and increase competition was investment. By simply increasing the league to 18 teams the investment and therefore improvement will not happen. Sky have made it clear...there must be 4 old firm games or there's less investment. Just as they cut it when we were not in the premiership. We will agree to disagree with each other on this I think. 2-0 for us tomorrow I think vs Hearts. Fingers crossed.
BT were happy enough to pay for Scottish football rights without any Old Firm games (Sky retained the rights to those), so it shows that it is viable to get a decent deal without the broadcaster demanding 4 Old Firm games.

People make out that we have to appease Sky’s every whim, but why? The current deal is pathetic. If they were giving us, proportionally speaking, a similar level of deal as the EPL then I could understand having to dance to their tune, but they don’t.

We actually have fewer televised Scottish games now than we have for a good number of years. Things are going backwards, not forwards.

You get nowhere near the same service though. Ive been there and done it with various iptv subscriptions over the years but theres always some sort of f.ucking about involved or streams buffering. Each to their own but i prefer what sky offer and would rather pay for their service than fanny about with others.
Pay £120 a month for Sky or virgin with your broadband included. Not including ppv (Fury fight was £25 the other night, Canelo £20 in a few weeks, Joshua god knows the other week). I pay for a certain service that i get all that, movies and series for the price you have paid for those 3 fights, so no need to pay £13.99 for Netflix or £7.99 for Prime. The service i have had over the past 3-4 years is top class. Only additional service i pay for is RTV because i like the features on that..... ps, i did not mention iptv as you did.

Back