Three cheers for the red, white and blue

Always remembered that song starting with "As he lay on the battlefield dying" so it is most definitely about the UVF from WW1. Whether some sing it in reference to the current paramilitary UVF is open to interpretation. But here's the thing, the song is not sectarian and you can't get lifted for singing it so what's the problem. We have enough attacks from the other side trying to eradicate our culture and dumb us down. Why give them a helping hand. The club have always had a tie to Northern Ireland with Ulster Scots and the many fans that travel over from there. Are we just going to wipe all that history away as well now. Times have moved on but there's nothing wrong with remembering what has moulded the club in the past.
There's no pope or 19th Century Terrorist references so I don't see the problem. Too many people wanting to please the enemy for my liking.
From the old Loyalist Prisoners Aid LP - The Battle of Belfast, the lyrics were something like this.
Have you heard of the battle of Belfast, where most of the fighting was done, have you heard of the young Loyalist soldier, who was shot by an IRA gun, as he lay on the battlefield dying,( and the blood pouring out of his head ), he turned to his comrades and said.
Will you bury me under the Red Hand, will you bury me under the Crown .......

From the old Loyalist Prisoners Aid LP - The Battle of Belfast, the lyrics were something like this.
Have you heard of the battle of Belfast, where most of the fighting was done, have you heard of the young Loyalist soldier, who was shot by an IRA gun, as he lay on the battlefield dying,( and the blood pouring out of his head ), he turned to his comrades and said.
Will you bury me under the Red Hand, will you bury me under the Crown .......

We truly have so many versions. I grew up with:

It was there at the Battle of Boyne Water,
Where most of the fighting was done,
it was there that a young Scottish soldier,
Was shot by an old 19th Century Terrorist gun,
As he lay on the battlefield dying,
With the blood pouring out of his head.
As he lay on the battlefield dying,
He turned to his comrades and said...

Altogether now, the cry was No Surrender.

In actual fact the lyrics don’t fit the history or timeline there - but it’s what I grew up with.

What and the sash? and no surrender?

Do you sing these still or no?
Name me a club in the UK that sings about religion/politics, outwith Celtic and us?

And by the way the sad comparison i made between us and them is a very sad reality in this day and age.

You tell us, in this day and aged, what does the Sash have to do with our club?

Name me a club in the UK that sings about religion/politics, outwith Celtic and us?

And by the way the sad comparison i made between us and them is a very sad reality in this day and age.

It's why I asked the question lol. Why don't we stop singing the sash and NS. it's nothing to do with rangers fc.

It's why I asked the question lol. Why don't we stop singing the sash and NS. it's nothing to do with rangers fc.
I'm pretty sure the majority of the support wouldn't give two tosses, if we did stop singing them.

The only reason that people sing these songs nowadays is because they get carried away with the atmosphere and these are the songs that have been started.
If these songs were not started in the first place, they would soon get forgotten and we could get on with our traditional Rangers songs.

Always remembered that song starting with "As he lay on the battlefield dying" so it is most definitely about the UVF from WW1. Whether some sing it in reference to the current paramilitary UVF is open to interpretation. But here's the thing, the song is not sectarian and you can't get lifted for singing it so what's the problem. We have enough attacks from the other side trying to eradicate our culture and dumb us down. Why give them a helping hand. The club have always had a tie to Northern Ireland with Ulster Scots and the many fans that travel over from there. Are we just going to wipe all that history away as well now. Times have moved on but there's nothing wrong with remembering what has moulded the club in the past.
There's no pope or 19th Century Terrorist references so I don't see the problem. Too many people wanting to please the enemy for my liking.
This, I don’t see why all the handwringers are giving up these things. It’s not the Billy Boys etc.

If people had listened to so called hand wringers months ago we wouldn’t have had partial closures and been labelled racist recently.
I don’t think people realise that the only banned song by UEFA is the Billy Boys and using sectarian language, something chants like this do not.

I always wondered why there's such enthusiasm for the UVF and no mention of WW1 Scottish regiments like the HLI?

I don’t think people realise that the only banned song by UEFA is the Billy Boys and using sectarian language, something chants like this do not.
And plenty do but also think it’s time to move on and sing about Rangers because they see the club isn’t completely safe from idiots who seem desperate to sail as close to the wind as possible when possible.

I remember that more as leading into ‘Altogether now, the cry was No Surrender’ mate.

As he lay on the battlefield dying, with the blood pouring out of his head
He turned to the bast@rd that shot him, and these are the words that he said
God bless my home in dear old Ulster, god bless my wife and family too
God bless the flag that I lie under, the Union Jack red white and blue
Three cheers for the red white and blue, three cheers for the red white and blue
For the Army and the Navy and the UVF

There was also an alternative last line, For the 36 divisions of the UVF

That's what I remember belting out in the 70's and 80's

For the Cry was no surrender I remember the lead in being to the tune of Nobody's child.

As I was slowly passing a chapel one day
I stopped there for a moment
Just to watch the catholics pray
I saw a lonely boy standing and when I asked him why
He turned with eyes that could not see
And he began to Cry was no surrender and so on

Remembering how much fun it was to go to the football back then compared to now. Feel sorry for the young team that never experienced those times.

As he lay on the battlefield dying, with the blood pouring out of his head
He turned to the bast@rd that shot him, and these are the words that he said
God bless my home in dear old Ulster, god bless my wife and family too
God bless the flag that I lie under, the Union Jack red white and blue
Three cheers for the red white and blue, three cheers for the red white and blue
For the Army and the Navy and the UVF

There was also an alternative last line, For the 36 divisions of the UVF

That's what I remember belting out in the 70's and 80's

For the Cry was no surrender I remember the lead in being to the tune of Nobody's child.

As I was slowly passing a chapel one day
I stopped there for a moment
Just to watch the catholics pray
I saw a lonely boy standing and when I asked him why
He turned with eyes that could not see
And he began to Cry was no surrender and so on

Remembering how much fun it was to go to the football back then compared to now. Feel sorry for the young team that never experienced those times.

All of us of ‘a certain vintage’ have done it and, I dare say, a few of the younger generation too. And enjoyed every minute.

However, time moves on. We used to laugh at Alf Garnett and at On The Busses as well. We live in a different age and it’s time to ditch most of the old ‘classics’ and stick to songs about our football team and our players past and present.

A massive gripe and moan from me.

For the army and the navy and the uvf

WHY???

This weekend brought it to a head for me.

On the pitch we had the army, the navy and the RAF but we sang about the army, navy and uvf....why?

Annoys the hell out of me.
Army,Navy and the RAF. been singing it for years

no .... our haters hate us regardless, we should be belting out all Carson's UVF anthems as hard as we can
It is not the haters we have to fear. It is those they persuade. Look what happened to TBB.

For those who say we are singing about the historical/original UVF it is exactly the same excuse the poets use.

Ditch it then go after them for extolling Roman Catholic murder gangs

100% correct,as we have moved further away from the troubles,now most of the uvf stuff is about the “people’s army”as the uvf of 1912 and the 36th have been more in focus as we have had a lot of significant centenaries in the last few years

It seems to me that more people now understand, appreciate and respect the sacrifices made a century ago. Bands proudly carry the colours and standards, lots of Somme Associations have been formed, and there are thousands who actually go out to visit the battlefields and cemetries each year.

Oh goody another post avout the song book .. it duznae belong at Ibrox
Yadda yadda yadda
Ub are to blame...
Only missing comments from the usual suspects but im pretty sure 1 or 2 will be along soon...

The UB are not to blame. The Rangers support en masse has sang these same words for probably nearly 40 years. But we should ditch all this UVF stuff to be honest.

Bang them in , is a good song
It is not the haters we have to fear. It is those they persuade. Look what happened to TBB.

For those who say we are singing about the historical/original UVF it is exactly the same excuse the poets use.

Ditch it then go after them for extolling Roman Catholic murder gangs
Am pretty sure Carson was not stabbing Catholics on the shankill .....in 1976.

It seems to me that more people now understand, appreciate and respect the sacrifices made a century ago. Bands proudly carry the colours and standards, lots of Somme Associations have been formed, and there are thousands who actually go out to visit the battlefields and cemetries each year.

What does any of that have to do with Rangers? Most of the people shouting about the UVF wouldn’t be able to point to Belgium on a map, never mind actually getting anywhere near Ypres

A boy near me used to sing (in Fathers Advice) "I must join the YMCA, with a rifle or a pistol in my hand).

No joke!
Well, l say its no joke but we would all pIsh ourselves laughing every time he done it!
#YMCA Loyalists.

Last edited:

WHY???

On the pitch we had the army, the navy and the RAF but we sang about the army, navy and uvf....why?

Could not agree more OP.

Could not agree more OP.
Absolutely the RAF totally deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as our army and navy, jesus have we forgotten already about the armed forces day we have been honouring at Ibrox for the last few years let's all sing in praise of our forces its a great song as well.

WHY???

Couldn't agree more. And while we're at it, ditch that awful 10 German Bombers shite as well. The RAF heroes who went out night after night to face German bombers don't deserve that rubbish as their legacy.

What does any of that have to do with Rangers? Most of the people shouting about the UVF wouldn’t be able to point to Belgium on a map, never mind actually getting anywhere near Ypres

Never said it had anything to do with Rangers. But I don't think everyone is as clueless as you and others seem to think. That was the jist of my post.
And by the way, going by your logic, you maybe think the club shouldn't bother with an armed forces day at all.

WHY???

Totally agree.

Actually makes me angry tbh.

A bit off topic
While they were members of the 36th (Ulster) Kings Division UVF who died in the 5 Battles of Ypres (Belgium) their biggest and main offensive took place just outside Thiepval , France about 100 miles away. Members are commemorated on both Monuments

Back