Three cheers for the red, white and blue

A massive gripe and moan from me.

For the army and the navy and the uvf

WHY???

This weekend brought it to a head for me.

On the pitch we had the army, the navy and the RAF but we sang about the army, navy and uvf....why?

Annoys the hell out of me.
The uvf and in particular the 36th Ulster division ( part of the army ) fought in WW1 to defend our country . I for one will always honour them

As someone who served for 32 years in the Royal Air Force I’m with @Papasmurf on this one. I think folks are hiding behind the WW1 thing if I’m honest.

Always felt a bit left out when my branch of the Armed Forces was missed out.
There we have it folks.

VB. your service is unbelievably appreciated.

No bear means anything by it, but it’s something else that should change. Imo.

Thanks from me and I’m sure all.

We need to keep a tight rein on what is sung. Maximum vigilance is necessary to keep UEFA off our back.

We quite rightly play feck about their IRA shite so let’s not kid ourselves on that the modern day UVF are a bunch of girl guides.

Well in WW1 it was the army, the navy and the uvf were also considered as part of the home defence more so in Northern Ireland as the RAF weren’t about until the end of the war.

The RAF was founded during WWI. Before that there was the Royal Flying Corps (RFC!).

WHY???

On the pitch we had the army, the navy and the RAF but we sang about the army, navy and uvf....why?

The real answer is because it’s ‘proper staunch’ to shoehorn in anything about the UVF, IRA or whatever wherever possible.

Gets a few sniggers between groups of people when sung, grows in to an official addon.

Not strictly related to this but it pains me that one of the loudest lyrics sometimes is ‘%^*& Bobby sands...’. Our fans signing louder about bobby sands, who has %^*& all to do with RFC, than the team itself.

Bedtime for me, I think.

Plenty other army regiments who could be directly referenced. The fact that it is only one, consistently, with links to something else, tells all that is needed about it.

Personally, I’d like to see the RNLI incorporated as we have genuine links to the water, via Clyde rowing club.

WHY???

Because some people still think its cool. The politics in football does my head in

Whilst i understand your gripe papasmurf, might I share with you the words of Wilfred Spender, who was a Plymouth-born newspaper manager, and during ww1 was quartermaster of the Ulster Volunteers, general staff officer of the 36th (Ulster) Division, winner of the Military Cross for actions at Thiepval, and Cabinet Secretary of the new “Northern Ireland” in 1921.
He wrote “I am not an Ulsterman but yesterday, the First of July, as I followed their amazing attack, I felt that I would rather be an Ulsterman than anything else in the world. My pen cannot describe adequately the hundreds of heroic acts I witnessed, the Ulster Volunteer Force, from which the Division was made, has won a name that equals any in history. Their devotion deserves the gratitude of the British empire.”

Here comes the folk who claim to have never sang these songs. I don’t see why folk have a gripe with it, it’s celebrating the culture of Northern Ireland and a lot of folk are forgetting how many Ulster Scots migrated to Scotland and particularly Glasgow and the surrounding area. Is it sectarian? No. If you are complaining then why don’t you start other chants within Ibrox.

The Ulster Volunteer Force played a pivotal role within the British Army during WW1.

Here comes the folk who claim to have never sang these songs. I don’t see why folk have a gripe with it, it’s celebrating the culture of Northern Ireland and a lot of folk are forgetting how many Ulster Scots migrated to Scotland and particularly Glasgow and the surrounding area. Is it sectarian? No.

The Ulster Volunteer Force played a pivotal role within the British Army during WW1.
Who said it’s sectarian?

On the pitch we had the army, the navy and the raf. But we cheered the army, the navy and the uvf.

It’s not tough to get why some might not like it? Shirley

Who said it’s sectarian?

On the pitch we had the army, the navy and the raf. But we cheered the army, the navy and the uvf.

It’s not tough to get why some might not like it? Shirley
The RAF of today had little to no involvement in WW1. The Royal Flying Corps were encompassed in the Army and the RAF was founded in April 1918.

The uvf and in particular the 36th Ulster division ( part of the army ) fought in WW1 to defend our country . I for one will always honour them
The UVF never took part in WW1. It was set up and organised as a para- military organisation. WW1 came around and like millions of young Britons the members of the UVF joined the British Army. Most went into regiments such as The Royal Irish Rifles and Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers as part of the 36th ( Ulster ) Division.

The 36th Division was renouned for its bravery, not only on the first day of the Somme but for the remainder of this battle and until 1918.

But so were many Scottish Divisions, the 15th and 51st Divisions fought equally as well as the 36th and were decimated at battles such as Loos and Third Ypres. Both these divisions were around 85% protestant and would have contained many Rangers men.

Why dont we sing about these heroes as well.

Aw here we go.... nothing to do with our club but yet I grew up hearing this song. People seem to forget that if it was for them then the Somme would have ended a whole lot worse for our country.
If you don’t like the three letters and think of it as just masked thugs, good the 36th division and educate yourself

No I didn’t.

Should I have?
Well your on here moaning... surely if you were at the game and ones around you werr singing uvf you would have told them a few home truths..... this is just another thread that will be filled with people using it to beat the ub and other fans with a stick about songs...

The UVF never took part in WW1. It was set up and organised as a para- military organisation. WW1 came around and like millions of young Britons the members of the UVF joined the British Army. Most went into regiments such as The Royal Irish Rifles and Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers as part of the 36th ( Ulster ) Division.

The 36th Division was renouned for its bravery, not only on the first day of the Somme but for the remainder of this battle and until 1918.

But so were many Scottish Divisions, the 15th and 51st Divisions fought equally as well as the 36th and were decimated at battles such as Loos and Third Ypres. Both these divisions were around 85% protestant and would have contained many Rangers men.

The 36th division was only put together so quickly because Carson had already raised an army. That army was the UVF

many orangemen died in ww1 and ww2 but seemly to some on here, who think there important.. we have nothing to do with the OO and should stop singing these songs

Well your on here moaning... surely if you were at the game and ones around you werr singing uvf you would have told them a few home truths..... this is just another thread that will be filled with people using it to beat the ub and other fans with a stick about songs...
I’ve not mentioned the Union bears.

I have my opinions that I’m happy to share. But not here.

However. I have challenged some folk round me recently on certain words. We’ve chatted about it (briefly) and moved on. Is that ok?

Well in WW1 it was the army, the navy and the uvf were also considered as part of the home defence more so in Northern Ireland as the RAF weren’t about until the end of the war.
That's the same excuse as the poets with their IRA piss

Back