Three cheers for the red, white and blue

I'm not comparing them. I'm comparing the idiots with their mealy-mouthed excuses. They fool no one with their justifications.

It’s cringeworthy and I’m not a handwringer before anyone jumps in

We know we need to clean the songbook up. Singing about the UVF does us no favours at all going forward and anyone claiming we’re singing about the UVF during the wars is full of pish and in any case, we’re at a Rangers game so why even sing songs about the war

The bravery of those volunteers should never be forgotten.

People on here mentioning the UVF have nothing to do with football so why is it sung?

The whole song has nothing to do with football so should the question not be , why is this song sung? Or am i just been picky now?

The UVF never took part in WW1. It was set up and organised as a para- military organisation. WW1 came around and like millions of young Britons the members of the UVF joined the British Army. Most went into regiments such as The Royal Irish Rifles and Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers as part of the 36th ( Ulster ) Division.

The 36th Division was renouned for its bravery, not only on the first day of the Somme but for the remainder of this battle and until 1918.

But so were many Scottish Divisions, the 15th and 51st Divisions fought equally as well as the 36th and were decimated at battles such as Loos and Third Ypres. Both these divisions were around 85% protestant and would have contained many Rangers men.

Why dont we sing about these heroes as well.

As an Ulster man I've always thought it strange that there are no songs sung at Ibrox about Scottish Regiments. Most would have gained more battle honours than the 36th.

Growing up over here I always knew this song as a UDA song. I've only heard UVF at Ibrox

If you don’t like it don’t sing along with all the Rangers songs you don’t sing Saturday,s atmosphere was pitiful only roused by rule Britannia and the three cheers for the red white and blue like another poster has already said the song starts with God bless my home in dear old ulster for it to end with UVF shouted out to some might seem strange or uncalled for but if you know of the history of ulster and the 36th ulster division the call to arms and the ultimate sacrifice to keep ulster in the United Kingdom maybe you can begin to understand

A massive gripe and moan from me.

For the army and the navy and the uvf

WHY???

This weekend brought it to a head for me.

On the pitch we had the army, the navy and the RAF but we sang about the army, navy and uvf....why?

Annoys the hell out of me.

I've sung RAF for years.

The UVF never took part in WW1. It was set up and organised as a para- military organisation. WW1 came around and like millions of young Britons the members of the UVF joined the British Army. Most went into regiments such as The Royal Irish Rifles and Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers as part of the 36th ( Ulster ) Division.

The 36th Division was renouned for its bravery, not only on the first day of the Somme but for the remainder of this battle and until 1918.

But so were many Scottish Divisions, the 15th and 51st Divisions fought equally as well as the 36th and were decimated at battles such as Loos and Third Ypres. Both these divisions were around 85% protestant and would have contained many Rangers men.

Why dont we sing about these heroes as well.
I'll be honest I couldn't tell you one song that's associated to either the 15th or 51st Divisions.

The RAF have their own personal 'German Bombers' song @Valley Bluenose.

Ha ha.

To be clear I’m not denigrating the bravery and efforts of the ‘original’ UVF and I know and understand the history. Despite the many knowledgeable folks on this thread though I’d warrant that most of those singing this song at Ibrox couldn’t fill the back of a stamp with their knowledge about Carson’s Volunteers and the ‘original’ UVF.

Whilst I was still serving I used to take many non-Rangers supporting colleagues along to Ibrox. All they heard was the chorus of this song, not any verse or verses. To a man (or woman) they asked what we sung at the end of the ‘Army and the Navy’ line. To a man the looked at me incredulous as I explained. To a man they asked ‘doesn’t RAF fit just as well. Why not RAF’. To a man, their understanding of the UVF was of a more contemporary paramilitary organisation. That’s the case with the vast majority who hear this song.

I maintain that, for the majority, the ‘old’ UVF line is simply a smokescreen to shoehorn the more recent events in Northern Ireland into the song.

WHY???

On the pitch we had the army, the navy and the RAF but we sang about the army, navy and uvf....why?

I agree wholeheartedly there are loads of our own Scottish Regiments that dont gets this praise,I wonder why that is.

I maintain that, for the majority, the ‘old’ UVF line is simply a smokescreen to shoehorn the more recent events in Northern Ireland into the song.
I'd take this a step further and suggest the majority that sing at Ibrox about, not only the UVF in this song but about fighitng the IRA, Bobby Sands, The Sash, Derry's walls, etc etc know very little of the history and the history of the songs.

Im all up for singing songs to commemorate WW1 and things like that at certain days, like armed forces day. Outwith that, its all a bit stale, especially all the rubbish that mention the IRA/UVF.
It makes the support seem stuck in the past, when wee should be singing songs about the club and players!

I’ll hold my hands up and say when i sang it during the troubles I wasn’t singing about the uvf in 1912.i knew who I was singing about as I supported the loyalist paramilitaries and in particular the uvf/rhc

WHY???

carsons UVF/36TH Ulster

This, and if anyone thinks they're singing about Carson's Volunteers then they're deluded, when it was sung it in the 70's , 80's & 90's it was in support for the present day UVF.
As far as I am concerned it was sang in those decades because the Country was under threat by the Republicans and rightly so,things have moved on so should we.

Spot on,you would swear it’s a new thing.its been the same lyrics for all my almost 40 years of going to see rangers

Almost 60 years for me now - and I never heard this song prior to the 70s. That may be a clue as to ‘which’ UVF it’s about.

Maybe I just missed it though and can’t remember. Age does that to a man.

This, and if anyone thinks they're singing about Carson's Volunteers then they're deluded, when it was sung it in the 70's , 80's & 90's it was in support for the present day UVF.
100% correct,as we have moved further away from the troubles,now most of the uvf stuff is about the “people’s army”as the uvf of 1912 and the 36th have been more in focus as we have had a lot of significant centenaries in the last few years

Always remembered that song starting with "As he lay on the battlefield dying" so it is most definitely about the UVF from WW1. Whether some sing it in reference to the current paramilitary UVF is open to interpretation. But here's the thing, the song is not sectarian and you can't get lifted for singing it so what's the problem. We have enough attacks from the other side trying to eradicate our culture and dumb us down. Why give them a helping hand. The club have always had a tie to Northern Ireland with Ulster Scots and the many fans that travel over from there. Are we just going to wipe all that history away as well now. Times have moved on but there's nothing wrong with remembering what has moulded the club in the past.
There's no pope or 19th Century Terrorist references so I don't see the problem. Too many people wanting to please the enemy for my liking.

100% correct,as we have moved further away from the troubles,now most of the uvf stuff is about the “people’s army”as the uvf of 1912 and the 36th have been more in focus as we have had a lot of significant centenaries in the last few years
1st of july morn
fathers advice
daddies uniform
here lies a soldier
will you stand and more

all classics :)

I do not question the historical accuracy but in the present climate and for the long term benefit of our football club I think any references about the UVF has to go.

WHY???

I've always sung RAF

Always remembered that song starting with "As he lay on the battlefield dying" so it is most definitely about the UVF from WW1. Whether some sing it in reference to the current paramilitary UVF is open to interpretation. But here's the thing, the song is not sectarian and you can't get lifted for singing it so what's the problem. We have enough attacks from the other side trying to eradicate our culture and dumb us down. Why give them a helping hand. The club have always had a tie to Northern Ireland with Ulster Scots and the many fans that travel over from there. Are we just going to wipe all that history away as well now. Times have moved on but there's nothing wrong with remembering what has moulded the club in the past.
There's no pope or 19th Century Terrorist references so I don't see the problem. Too many people wanting to please the enemy for my liking.

I remember that more as leading into ‘Altogether now, the cry was No Surrender’ mate.

Back