Three things I can’t get out of my head

Not taking our chances when being in front has cost us big time this season. We can't blame individual players.

Goldson - cut out that cross
Kent - got to score that
Ramsey - if you go down the middle put it high
Round and round in my head all day
Cup final can’t come quick enough
Both Ramsey and Kent hit the target mate and were outdone by a keeper on form , that’s football

What Goldson did, or didn't do, was uncharacteristic. Still don't get what he was doing there.

I think if the ball is overhanging the line it is deemed 'in'. It looks in the photo that it is overhanging - but the angle isn't right to judge. IMHO, if it went to VAR then given the timing and the importance they'd have taken the easy option of calling it out. Its millimetres though, maybe even just a single millimetre.

I feel fairly certain if Kent had scored it would been chopped off; going by that there.

FTI5NhRVUAsxLaE

What Goldson did, or didn't do, was uncharacteristic. Still don't get what he was doing there.
It was which begs the question was there a shout to leave it? Tbf no defender should let that go and allow that type of ball to pass you if you can stop it! IFS and buts they still did us proud!

I feel fairly certain if Kent had scored it would been chopped off; going by that there.
Wow base of the ball out, side of ball is on outside maybe touching the line it would all depend if the opposition claimed or it would have stood tbf I never saw any claim?

Kent - got to score that
Just watched the Kent chance should have buried it,Davis shot straight after was cleared by the defender getting his head to it we never even got the corner.

For me it was just our all round performance.

Alot of people losing their shit in other threads. Nobody is disputing the efforts to get to the final. Nobody at all. It was monumental achievement.

But we are allowed to feel aggravated about how flat and lacking our performance was. When it really mattered it just wasn't there.

We are born winners the end of the day. Its hard to celebrate runners up.

But we move on to Saturday. Let's see what that produces for us.

Kent - got to score that
Yep bud, been thinking about these things too all day today. Feeling hurt big time, but confident that we'll recover. WATP.

For me it was just our all round performance.

Alot of people losing their shit in other threads. Nobody is disputing the efforts to get to the final. Nobody at all. It was monumental achievement.

But we are allowed to feel aggravated about how flat and lacking our performance was. When it really mattered it just wasn't there.

We are born winners the end of the day. Its hard to celebrate runners up.

But we move on to Saturday. Let's see what that produces for us.

Both teams didn't play well. Nerves mainly as it was huge for both clubs, and add to that the heat. Was never going to be a free flowing game. Small mistakes were always going to be where the game was won or lost. It came down to a single bad penalty. It hurts bad, but no player didn't give their all last night.

Kent - got to score that
Kent did what he had to do on target from 6 yards under pressure .Keeper got lucky as did the big defender at stevie's follow up .That was for the top corner .
The one got me the most was Goldson leaving the cross but crap happens .
Roll on saturday .

just noticed the posts about the ball being out and prob explains why we didn't get a corner .

Last edited:
I definitely think it would have been chopped. Suppose that's the downside of var when it goes against you.

Put it this way, if we had scored it would have been highly controversial and we would be getting every possible angle avaliable, slowed right down and zooming in.

And that's just the scottish press.
I hadn’t considered that it might have been out and that picture is so close it would have taken VAR about 10 minutes to decide. That would have been even greater torture than the penalties

Kent - got to score that
I'm the exact, only it's Kents miss in the 2nd half I think about.
The miss at the end wouldn't have counted.

I think if the ball is overhanging the line it is deemed 'in'. It looks in the photo that it is overhanging - but the angle isn't right to judge. IMHO, if it went to VAR then given the timing and the importance they'd have taken the easy option of calling it out. Its millimetres though, maybe even just a single millimetre.

In my opinion that's clearly out of play.

Goldson leaving that cross is the only thing that is bothering me. Wright getting beat for the cross, Kent’s miss at full speed, Jack not hitting the target from the edge of the box and Ramsey’s penalty miss are things that happen in games. I would love to hear Goldson explain his decision to leave it - probably fearful of an OG. As others have said though, we got there as a team.

Kent - got to score that
Doesn’t make it much easier but I reckon watching it back the Kent goal goes to VAR and gets ruled out.

Goldson - Cut out that cross - this 100%
Kent - The keeper saves it, would have been ruled out anyway
Ramsey - On an Eintracht forum somewhere, they aren't saying Ramsey missed, they're lauding their keeper for saving it. That's penalties for you.

We'll get over it and go again...at kick off on Saturday.

It was which begs the question was there a shout to leave it? Tbf no defender should let that go and allow that type of ball to pass you if you can stop it! IFS and buts they still did us proud!
This is all I can think of to explain why conor goldson leaves that ball. He hears something and thinks its a shout from a teammate to leave it. Has to be.

It’s their goal that makes me sick. Utterly preventable.

Mark players at throw ins
Don’t let crosses into your box
Deal with cross if it comes in

3 easy things we couldn’t do on the biggest stage

Goldson will have nightmares, or he should, about not clearing that cross. Only he knows why he left it

Get the kent chance out your head. If he'd scored it would have been chopped by var. That would have been more painful
VAR reversing a goal scorer in the 119th minute would have been absolutely horrific.
Would possibly have been the end of some people. It would have been our biggest high followed by the lowest low (on the field)

There is absolutely no defending Goldson’s part in their goal.

Complete basics of football, particularly defending. It’s not the first time he’s done it the this season. Both times cost us big time.

Irony is I think had we won that final he would have stayed next season.

Kent - got to score that
I think most of us are of the same mindset mate.

If only, eh?

The full ball has to be out for Kent’s chance.

I’m just back so may have missed the picture, but the one I saw it didn’t look fully over.

We’ll never know, but saying it would have been disallowed anyway feels like a coping mechanism.

Either way he should have scored and Goldson was awful at the goal.

I’m actually not as annoyed about Ramsey missing. Someone had to miss, the mistakes from Goldson and Kent if avoided mean we don’t get that far.
Same here. It's very close so wouldn't be surprised either way but there isn't any grass between the ball and the line in the pictures I have seen. The pics aren't the best quality either which doesn't help.

There's pics on another thread about Kent's miss. For me the ball is definitely out and indeed explains why we didnt get a corner from the davis shot.
I was wondering if that was why we didn't get the corner.

Seeing these pictures in the thread, I still think that's inconclusive. You can't see daylight between the ball and the line. It would've taken VAR ages to clear that up for me.
Doesn't matter as he didn't score though. That's the thing.

Also, for these other items, we can say people could have done better, but Goldson had the opportunity to attempt to clear that ball and chose not to. That was 100% the wrong choice. He should have attempted. If he'd put it in his own net I'd have accepted he was unlucky and desperate to clear it, but what he did was so poor.

Last edited:

Ooft. Imagine it had went in, then chalked off for VAR, that would've been an even bigger kick in the nuts.

I was wondering if that was why we didn't get the corner.

Seeing these pictures in the thread, I still think that's inconclusive. You can't see daylight between the ball and the line. It would've taken VAR ages to clear that up for me.
Doesn't matter as he didn't score though. That's the thing.

Also, for these other items, we can say people could have done better, but Goldson had the opportunity to attempt to clear that ball and chose not to. That was 100% the wrong choice. He should have attempted. If he'd put it in his own net I'd have accepted he was unlucky and desperate to clear it, but what he did was so poor.
That's football mate. If we had won, no doubt the frankfurt fans would have been raging at their defender losing aribo.

Tbh, I can't begrudge them their win and as for the penalties, I think they would just have kept scoring until one of ours missed.

German clubs are the last you want to have a penalty shoot out against.

As for the kent chance, if that happened the other way around, we would be going mental and not many would have missed the backlash, even the neighbours dug. We would have had a thread on here that would have crashed the site.

That’s not overhanging anything mate. The ball is out and it’s even clearer from the other angle.

The heart break is bad enough but if that had gone in, and then been taken away by VAR, I honestly don’t think I’d have been able to ever watch another game again.

Today I’m feeling pride replacing my hurt at the game, counting my blessings as a bear and how we have returned from adversity of the worst kind to win 55 then return to a European final.

Incredible.

That’s not overhanging anything mate. The ball is out and it’s even clearer from the other angle.

The heart break is bad enough but if that had gone in, and then been taken away by VAR, I honestly don’t think I’d have been able to ever watch another game again.

Today I’m feeling pride replacing my hurt at the game, counting my blessings as a bear and how we have returned from adversity of the worst kind to win 55 then return to a European final.

Incredible.
Can't recall the other photo with a different angle mate but I can see a case for arguing that - in this photo - the middle section of the ball 'might' be overhanging. If it is that's enough. However, we really are talking very, very small margins. I mentioned a single millimetre, it could be that close.

As I rounded off, my belief is that the VAR would not have allowed the goal.

Goldson not clearing the ball is the "sliding doors moment". Roofe had put the ball out so if Kent had scored VAR would have ruled it out and penalties are always a lottery. Nine out of the 10 taken were scored, it's cruel but football often is.

That's the only one that mattered on your list.

He does that, we would be sitting with the trophy just now.
While You may be right we will never know and I’m not so sure we’d have kept a clean sheet.

There were still 20 minutes left and while mcgregor wasnt having to make many great saves they still were capable and looked dangerous.

I’ll never watch the game again but my impression was they had us sussed for most of the match especially the first 30 minutes and the opening of the second half. We clawed our way back into it but I never felt we looked that likely to score, Aribos chance came from their mistake and we capitalised.

I don’t think it helps to blame just Goldson or just Ramsay or kent. We ran them close and lost on a lottery. That’s the game unfortunately.

S
Kent - got to score that
Spot on, be a long time to get that Kent miss out my mind that’s for sure

This is all I can think of to explain why conor goldson leaves that ball. He hears something and thinks its a shout from a teammate to leave it. Has to be.
In that position as a defender you clear it, regardless of any shouts. You don't take chances in the 6 yard box, especially against top opposition

Back