Article Through The Middle - A Midfield Masterclass

I think Lundstram and Jack are our best midfield pairing. Both seem to compliment each other well, are aggressive in the tackle, but can pass a ball too and are able to chip in with goals, quite often crackers.

Stick someone more skilful and progressive like Tillman in front of them and I think it’s the perfect combination.

I also think Tillman is more suited to this role than Aribo because the latter’s one footedness could actually be a bit of a drawback at times.

Tbh my non statistical impression was that Lundstram was excellent but Jack was way off the pace and pretty much anonymous right up until Lundstram was taken off. At that point Jack then assumed Lundstram’s position and suddenly also looked superb feeding some wonderful through balls. Jack is a player who needs to sit deeper to see the game in front of him as he doesn’t have the awareness when receiving the ball back to goal.
Lundstram has much more awareness and can play anywhere in midfield though centre mid seems to be his best. Maybe away in Europe both could play together but domestically we don’t need two midfielders who are more inclined to play deeper.

Interested to know what you all think our best option is next to Lundstram. If Davis was five years younger I’d say him on a regular basis, but unlikely he’ll play each week. When Jack gets a run injury free I think it’s him, but Kamara has been a bargain buy and done the business too.

All about opinions, but the long and the short of it is that we have options in this area of the team for the first time in a long time.

Back