Tillman and the rumoured 5m price

Would you pay the £5m to make it a permanent deal?

• Total voters
You’re missing my point. IF everything has already been agreed and it’s a case of formalising the deal then there’s no point doing it now.

If there are still negotiations to be had then by all means let’s get on it just now.

I got your point, but it's bollocks, as until that deal is formalised someone else could still buy him.

Formalise it now, don't speccy this.

Where has the buy-back figure of £10 million came from? Have seen the £5 million fee to buy him being mentioned by some of the more reliable posters but was always under the impression we didnt know Bayerns buy back
It was well quoted when he first signed.
By the way, what makes you think I’m not a reliable poster?

I got your point, but it's bollocks, as until that deal is formalised someone else could still buy him.

Formalise it now, don't speccy this.
Ok, it’s bollocks because some bedwetter on FF is getting his knickers in a twist about his head being turned, despite that not being possible in the scenario I had set out :))

Seems happy here getting a lot of game time and his game is improving plus he has the trust of the manager.
He will stay here.

See? You didn’t get my point.

This forum needs a facepalm emoji.

He can still sign for anyone he wants, Bayern's player on loan to us. We have option to buy which we can trigger, but the longer we don't then the longer the risk remains of someone else taking an interest.

You definitely missed out on nice girls when you were younger and had to settle for the 2:55am leftovers.

Kent was £7M and on his day he is best player in league and was the difference in big european ties.

It seems steep to me.

But if he becomes a champions league level player then fine, pay it.
Kent and Tillman have 10 goal involvement each this season. Tillman has started 3 less games.
Another detail you are missing. Tillman is 20 years old.

Kent was playing for Barnsley at 20.

Kent was £7M and on his day he is best player in league and was the difference in big european ties.

It seems steep to me.

Kent wasn't close to the best player in the SPL during his first season. He was also several years older and far more experienced in senior football than Tillman. Apples and oranges though.

A 20 year old Nathan Patterson was sold for £12m. Was that steep?

A 20 year old Malik Tillman being sold for £5m? How can that possibly feel steep?

Liverpool spent £6m on a teenage RB from Aberdeen. Bournemouth spent the bulk of that on Ryan 'failed conversion' Christie. No idea why I am mentioning the latter other than to highlight that English teams are paying far more than they were for Scottish 'talent' than they were when Aston Villa snagged a notable root vegetable for what is now considered a bargain.

I think the Tillman and Patterson fees are a fairish comparison though. Similar ages, similar raw athleticism, similar club and international appearances.

There's an extra premium on attacking and creative players in the transfer market. Players with Tillman's skillset cost more than fullbacks (though I'd love to see what Roberto Carlos in his prime would cost a EPL team).

Tillman at £5m is a bargain because he'd have to absolutely stink the place out for a prolonged period to reduce his transfer value substantially. We also like to laugh at the tramps overestimating the commercial value of their Japanese signings but my take from watching the Europa final in NYC was the number of people with 'Sands' jerseys.

Kent wasn't close to the best player in the SPL during his first season. He was also several years older and far more experienced in senior football than Tillman. Apples and oranges though.

A 20 year old Nathan Patterson was sold for £12m. Was that steep?

A 20 year old Malik Tillman being sold for £5m? How can that possibly feel steep?

Liverpool spent £6m on a teenage RB from Aberdeen. Bournemouth spent the bulk of that on Ryan 'failed conversion' Christie. No idea why I am mentioning the latter other than to highlight that English teams are paying far more than they were for Scottish 'talent' than they were when Aston Villa snagged a notable root vegetable for what is now considered a bargain.

I think the Tillman and Patterson fees are a fairish comparison though. Similar ages, similar raw athleticism, similar club and international appearances.

There's an extra premium on attacking and creative players in the transfer market. Players with Tillman's skillset cost more than fullbacks (though I'd love to see what Roberto Carlos in his prime would cost a EPL team).

Tillman at £5m is a bargain because he'd have to absolutely stink the place out for a prolonged period to reduce his transfer value substantially. We also like to laugh at the tramps overestimating the commercial value of their Japanese signings but my take from watching the Europa final in NYC was the number of people with 'Sands' jerseys.
Good points.

This forum needs a facepalm emoji.

He can still sign for anyone he wants, Bayern's player on loan to us. We have option to buy which we can trigger, but the longer we don't then the longer the risk remains of someone else taking an interest.

You definitely missed out on nice girls when you were younger and had to settle for the 2:55am leftovers.
You are talking pish I’m afraid.

Is he on loan from Bayern? Yes he is but we have a contract which states we get first refusal over all other suitors if we pay an agreed price.

From the manager -
The Rangers boss, who will almost certainly include Tillman against Ross County at Ibrox, asked if he was concerned that the player's performances may have alerted clubs in bigger leagues to his potential, insisted he had no worries on that front because of the details agreed in his loan move.

He said: "No, because we have the first opportunity to buy him. Bayern have a decision whether they feel he’s going to play for them. There’s a number, we know what it is and we’re comfortable with the number. Also, we wouldn’t just want to buy a boy that maybe wants to be elsewhere.

"At the moment, everything is fine. I’ll be honest, I haven’t even had that conversation with Malik. It’s not like you get him in a room and put a gun to his head and ask: 'Do you want to be here?' I think he has to show you that in his performances and the way he’s playing.

Think that's probably already been posted, lo siento!!

They can’t, he’s on loan for a season with right to dig him for £5m
What part of that do you not understand?

What if he decides not to make the permanent move at the end of the season? Not thought of that have you? Even though it's been explained about four times.

You are talking pish I’m afraid.

Is he on loan from Bayern? Yes he is but we have a contract which states we get first refusal over all other suitors if we pay an agreed price.

So we wait until the end of the season, at a previously agreed set time. In the meantime someone else has a chat with Tillman and he fancies going there.

That first refusal is useless if he doesn't want to stay. If you can't see that situation then you aren't very clever at all.

If we signed him tomorrow the same people saying he's not worth that would be saying I wouldn't let him go for anything less than 20m!

I would love him to stay. Think he likes being here and working with beale. Only worry would be an agent in his ear talking about the money he could make down south getting him to reject an offer from us in the hope of a better one in the epl.

Don’t think it will happen though.

Sign him up you could if you wanted pay the £5million in May and pr double or more the next month next season he will be miles better after year getting used to everything surrounding Scottish football

So we wait until the end of the season, at a previously agreed set time. In the meantime someone else has a chat with Tillman and he fancies going there.

That first refusal is useless if he doesn't want to stay. If you can't see that situation then you aren't very clever at all.
What if he doesn’t want to stay here already? He may have made his mind up before he even came on loan that he was never going to stay in Scottish football? Your point is getting weaker the more you make it.

The point is we agreed a fee with Bayern for the end of the season. If a club wants to bid more than that for him or pay him higher wages that doesn’t matter whether they did that 2 months ago, now or at the end of the season. If we can afford him that’s all that matters

Tillman having agreed to come here on loan will also be aware that we have an agreement to buy him if we choose to. I'd expect him and his agent or whoever must have also agreed to this as part of the loan move.

The deal wasn't structured as take him on loan with the first option to buy in Summer 2023 but just spend the £5m early cause some other club might jump in ahead of us.

It's all in our hands. Tillman has agreed the move already. It's upto the club if they choose to buy. We have no rush.

Just a wee extra note.

If I buy a get a new car on PCP over say 5 years. After 3 years of paying for it I have certain options at the end. I can hand the car back and go get a different car. I can agree finance to pay the car off and still keep it or I can pay the final outstanding amount off in total and the car is still mine. There is no option for someone in the street or a work colleague who likes the look if my car to contact say Arnold Clark and offer to buy the car ahead of me. Cause I already have the agreement and options as stated above. I will have the final say where the car ends up. Iv I have paid it every month. Fuelled it all the time. Cleaned it regularly and gave it a welcoming good home surely the car would be happy and want to stay with me.

Last edited:
Glad to see the general consensus has moved on from the daftys saying he’s no good.

If Tillman was our permanent player, and a team were milling about him for £5m this place would be in meltdown.

What if he doesn’t want to stay here already? He may have made his mind up before he even came on loan that he was never going to stay in Scottish football? Your point is getting weaker the more you make it.

The point is we agreed a fee with Bayern for the end of the season. If a club wants to bid more than that for him or pay him higher wages that doesn’t matter whether they did that 2 months ago, now or at the end of the season. If we can afford him that’s all that matters

If we close the deal before any other club comes in then it kinda does matter.

FFS :))

It’s a huge sum but it’s also a one off chance to acquire a player like this.

Our squad is ridiculously overblown in numbers and with deadwood so surely people leaving out of contract and hopefully a sale or two will provide room enough to swing a cat and make it happen.

It’s a huge sum but it’s also a one off chance to acquire a player like this.

Our squad is ridiculously overblown in numbers and with deadwood so surely people leaving out of contract and hopefully a sale or two will provide room enough to swing a cat and make it happen.
It’s a huge sum for us, but in the grand scheme of things it’s a pittance, clubs are paying more than that as a loan fee to get a player for a season.

Given his qualities I’d be astounded if we didn’t find the cash and sign him, with the only potential holdup being of Tillman himself doesn’t want to stay here, hopefully that’s not the case.

It seems steep to me.

Champions league level player for £5m? Come on tae France. You get nothing but potential for £5m these days. It’s an absolute steal for the boy who has developed so much in his short time with us

It’s a huge sum for us, but in the grand scheme of things it’s a pittance, clubs are paying more than that as a loan fee to get a player for a season.

Given his qualities I’d be astounded if we didn’t find the cash and sign him, with the only potential holdup being of Tillman himself doesn’t want to stay here, hopefully that’s not the case.
Tillman signed the agreement to move to us on loan with the option that we could buy him first. He is aware of that and ut would have been a agreed at the start. If the player isn't happy here and it's even been suggested by him or his team that he actually doesn't fancy staying here then the manager wouldn't be playing him and we should be looking to end the loan as the player would be going back on a deal already agreed. He is getting plenty game time and looks like he is enjoying his football at the moment. I don't see any reason why the deal won't be agreed when it is required to be signed. Which is at the end of the season.

What if some EPL side start noticing and make enquiries. Suddenly conversations are had, wages are mentioned, his heads turned, he wants to move there,

If it does come to that hopefully we can do what Oostende did with Hendry.

I agree though, the sooner we make his deal permanent the better.

He has upped the aggressive side of his game in the last three matches that i have noticed, getting stuck in about it a bit more, add that to his skill and cleverness and we have a player alright.

Ffs this thread is mental, the boys 20 and already a key player for us, he's going to get even better and better and for double the price we paid for Matondo it's a bargain

Tillman signed the agreement to move to us on loan with the option that we could buy him first. He is aware of that and ut would have been an agreed at the start. If the player isn't happy here and it's even been suggested by him or his team that he actually doesn't fancy staying here then the manager wouldn't be playing him and we should be looking to end the loan as the player would be going back on a deal already agreed. He is getting plenty game time and looks like he is enjoying his football at the moment. I don't see any reason why the deal won't be agreed when it is required to be signed. Which is at the end of the season.
I agree mate, I fully expect us to sign him.

I haven't seen this mentioned, but I haven't read every post...

What if we only have the option to buy at the end of the season?
What if we don't have the option to trigger the clause until then?

Kinda makes the talk about pay it now a moot point...

Any deal will be littered with clauses so we may not make a load of money but like Raskin it’s so rare for us to be in the position of getting a player like this for a couple of seasons, maybe more, we have to go all out to make it happen.

We certainly wouldn’t lose money which would be a refreshing change.

Securing Tillman must be the no1 priority for the Summer.

Back