Tillman - the boy who doesn’t track back

It was a nonsense criticism in the first place. He's always tracked back. He's just got that languid style - a bit like Aribo - that makes Scottish fans call him a lazy bastard.

I think the area he has improved is that he doesn't switch off after he's tracked back and the first attack has slowed or broken down.

I'm sure MB has worked on it but it'll also partly just be getting some experience. People forget how raw he was when he signed and many of those early days of "not tracking back" were really Champions League sides exploiting that inexperience.
He got most ball recoveries for us vs Napoli away.

People saying he doesn’t track back are just blinkered or plain silly

This Mallik Tillman has disappeared under Beale. This was by far the weakness in Tillman’s game prior to Beale coming in. That seems to have completely flipped on its head now, his ability to track back and win balls is sensational. A clear improvement coaches by our management team.
Don’t think it was ever true in the first place.
I seen him win balls behind both full backs on a number of occasions.

Pre Christmas, I wouldnt have paid the £5m for him.

Now, we’d be stupid not to buy him.

He is only going to get better, even more so if we put more quality around him.

100% , the lad has all the ability in the world and his work rate has improved dramatically.

It’s amazing what can happen if you have a manager who knows how to use his players. Tillman wide right was absolutely ridiculous.

Completely agree. He will be sensational for us over the next few years and we’ll sell him for at least £20m if we hold out
Not likely.
I’m sure Bayern have a first shout on the player, should we buy for £5m, at £10m.
If he’s worth more, it’d be sensible for Bayern to pay the £10m and immediately sell on at the higher value.
So, if I’m right, £10m is our max.
If you’re thinking this is a ridiculous contract, it would appear to be similar to what we’ve agreed with the Charlie McCann deal.
Maybe not the numbers though.

I think he looks a bit lost just now, not sure he knows what his role actually is.

He isn’t even allowed to take a quick corner, must have been raging when he went off and Hagi was allowed to take one.

Yesterday we had Cantwell, Tillman and Kent all in the same areas doing the same thing, nice pretty triangles, no penetration.

Very talented boy just hope he doesn’t go the same way Aribo did under Gerrard/Beale doesn’t nail down a specific position.
He was our best player yesterday FFS.

Don’t remember you being this critical when Gio was manager. Everything was the refs fault every week with Gio totally blameless.

Even before Beale, the stats showed that he pressed the opposition more than anyone in the team.

He was the top for ball recoveries in the whole league before Beale came in

Whole team looks fitter just in the time since Beale's come in

In our last 4 games we played

over 30 minutes against Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and

over 60 minutes against St Johnstone

against ten men. At times yesterday it looked like it was us a man short.

So basically twice an entire third, and once 2 thirds of a game, we have scored 3 goals and conceded 1

Tillman is still learning his trade he has went from a reserve player in Germany to a first team player with us,his game is improving all the time and the potential in this young lad is there for everyone to see.

He was our best player yesterday FFS.

Don’t remember you being this critical when Gio was manager. Everything was the refs fault every week with Gio totally blameless.

I thought Kamara was our best player yesterday but it’s all about opinions as it was hard to pick a stand out in such an awful game.

You’ll find I am quite critical when folk post absolute pish regardless of manager.

Folk making wild claims he never tracked back until Beale game in, luckily there are other sensible folk on here that can post reality.

He has always tracked back, he has also been excellent up the other end of the park, home to USG away to PSV prime examples.

what exactly is it you see that is different ? How many times did he over hit passes, flicks over the top yesterday.

You are one of a number on here that recognise you can’t polish a turd but are trying to roll it in sprinkles to make out we are now playing Brazil 1970 football now since Beale came in and every player has been transformed,

Completely agree. He will be sensational for us over the next few years and we’ll sell him for at least £20m if we hold out
Unfortunately that probably won't happen. If he hits a certain value Bayern have a buy back option. However, hopefully they don't exercise it and he stays with us for years. Very, very exciting player.

Other side of that coin is maybe Bayern will trust us with some more of their talent.

In our last 4 games we played

over 30 minutes against Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and

over 60 minutes against St Johnstone

against ten men. At times yesterday it looked like it was us a man short.

So basically twice an entire third, and once 2 thirds of a game, we have scored 3 goals and conceded 1
I should have phrased it better. They look fitter than they did pre Beale so a relative improvement which is impressive given the timescale but still work to do. Just shows how far fitness levels had dropped off, given Gerrad had us as consistently the fittest team in Scotland

This Mallik Tillman has disappeared under Beale. This was by far the weakness in Tillman’s game prior to Beale coming in. That seems to have completely flipped on its head now, his ability to track back and win balls is sensational. A clear improvement coaches by our management team.
He reads the game so well, can tell he’s had top class coaching and natural ability, frightening to think he’s only 20 he’s only getting better

Really hope we sign the boy on a 4-5 year deal

Even in the scum game on the 2nd he blocked a lot of passes and made a lot of interceptions. Inexplicably there were people at HT saying they would hook him, I often wonder what game some people are watching.
Its the same people that shouted for Hodson to get on aheqd of Tav.

We'll have a very good player for a couple of years and then we'll double our money on him (unless Ross Wilson let's him run down his contract and leave for peanuts).

I think he looks a bit lost just now, not sure he knows what his role actually is.

He isn’t even allowed to take a quick corner, must have been raging when he went off and Hagi was allowed to take one.

Yesterday we had Cantwell, Tillman and Kent all in the same areas doing the same thing, nice pretty triangles, no penetration.

Very talented boy just hope he doesn’t go the same way Aribo did under Gerrard/Beale doesn’t nail down a specific position.
What a strange post.

I should have phrased it better. They look fitter than they did pre Beale so a relative improvement which is impressive given the timescale but still work to do. Just shows how far fitness levels had dropped off, given Gerrad had us as consistently the fittest team in Scotland

How is that quantified I’ve seen a few folk commenting on this ?

How is it judged ? By one trophy in 3.5 seasons.

Did we look fit at the start of last season under Gerrard home away to Malmo and Alashkert, domestically away to Dundee Utd home to Motherwell, Hearts Aberdeen, Hampden v Hibs ? (5 out our 9 wins before Gerrard left were by a single goal)

or after the winter shut down when GvB put them through a fitness programme, and we went toe to toe with top clubs in Europe Borussia Dortmund, Red Star Belgrade, Braga, Leipzig, two extra time wins in the same week in April, did we look less fit than Eintracht Frankfurt ?

How is that quantified I’ve seen a few folk commenting on this ?

How is it judged ? By one trophy in 3.5 seasons.

Did we look fit at the start of last season under Gerrard home away to Malmo and Alashkert, domestically away to Dundee Utd home to Motherwell, Hearts Aberdeen, Hampden v Hibs ? (5 out our 9 wins before Gerrard left were by a single goal)

or after the winter shut down when GvB put them through a fitness programme, and we went toe to toe with top clubs in Europe Borussia Dortmund, Red Star Belgrade, Braga, Leipzig, two extra time wins in the same week in April, did we look less fit than Eintracht Frankfurt ?
It's not quantified, it's opinion which is why I said look fitter. Clearly we disagree which is sound.

Its become a bit of an FF myth that he is lazy, just because of his style. I was looking at his heatmap and he was all over the park at times.

On another note, wonder what happened on Jacks heatmap at the corner of their box!

zrdQ9Z1.jpg

Maybe as you say, but isn't it also why he is at Rangers and getting experience of first-team football?
Basically, he is learning the game at the coalface against other professionals and having to up his game awareness to properly compete and showcase his talents.
One has to then suppose, that our own young prospects such as Lowry and King also need to be farmed out to other clubs where they may also be given a platform to properly develop at the rate required to make it.
Perhaps, yet I would be interested in seeing a breakdown of the amount of players who went on loan and then returned to their parent club and became first team regulars. I'm assuming it's not a great amount just going by our averages.

Its become a bit of an FF myth that he is lazy, just because of his style. I was looking at his heatmap and he was all over the park at times.

On another note, wonder what happened on Jacks heatmap at the corner of their box!

zrdQ9Z1.jpg

Hadn't seen this before posting above, but it proves my point and Beales comments post match correct, he was primarily right midfield with the freedom to roam.

Was something Aribo had in his game that he never really got credit for.

If Tillman keeps improving this aspect of his game then he will be some player.

Hadn't seen this before posting above, but it proves my point and Beales comments post match correct, he was primarily right midfield with the freedom to roam.

I saw Henry talk about when he played at Barca under Pep he had to stay wide and the other 2 forwards Eto & Messi stayed in their postions, up till the last third and were able to do what they wanted/felt like. I would imagine it is similar to Kent Cantwell and Tillman.

Prior to the old firm game he had won back possession more than any other player in the league. I think it’s more that fans didn’t realise it due to his lackadaisical running style.

Listen to Beale after the match, Kent, Cantwell and Tillman have the freedom to rotate, but he was mostly right midfield.

Just because you didn't know his role doesn't mean he didn't :)

I watched us yesterday, Tillman, Cantwell, Kent all tidy on the ball playing neat little patterns with no end product. It continually broke down by overplaying it.

We created 4 clear cut chances against St Johnstone, who played over an hour with 10 men.

I‘ve watched us every game under Beale. It’s all good and well players having the freedom to rotate but we are wide open at times because we have no shape, 10 man St Johnstone should have scored right on half time.

Do you think we have been good our last 4 games against Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, St Johnstone, 3 won by single goals, over 2 hours of football against ten men. 3 goals scored 1 conceded in 2 hours against 10 men.

zrdQ9Z1.jpg

where do you get the heat maps, can you post Kent’s for the 4-0 win at Tynecastle in October with his from yesterday side by side

where do you get the heat maps, can you post Kent’s for the 4-0 win at Tynecastle in October with his from yesterday side by side

You get them here mate.

Then click on the player jersey on *the pitch*.

I dont know how to find games out with the last 10 that are shown on the club page.

I think he looks fitter since Beale came in.

Yesterday was probably his best performance for us IMO.

His strength running with the ball is unreal
This myth pish does my box in

Hagi is amazing again ffs. Helander is better than Maldini etc etc

I watched us yesterday, Tillman, Cantwell, Kent all tidy on the ball playing neat little patterns with no end product. It continually broke down by overplaying it.

We created 4 clear cut chances against St Johnstone, who played over an hour with 10 men.

I‘ve watched us every game under Beale. It’s all good and well players having the freedom to rotate but we are wide open at times because we have no shape, 10 man St Johnstone should have scored right on half time.

Do you think we have been good our last 4 games against Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, St Johnstone, 3 won by single goals, over 2 hours of football against ten men. 3 goals scored 1 conceded in 2 hours against 10 men.

If you can point to one post match interview with Beale where he says everything is perfect and he doesn't have loads of work to do I'd like to see it. You seem to be arguing against a point nobody is making.

Better first touch and control than Aribo imo and that is high praise.

No matter how fast the ball comes to him he just kills it but more impressive for me is his first time lay offs when a ball is fired to him.

He takes the sting out the ball and plays a pass with one touch.

A joy to watch.

His play like this for Kents chance was superb. One touch to kill a long ball and first time pass straight to Kent for a shot. Was excellent

We had way more than 4 clear cut chances.

Back