Time for big Helander?

Barker96

Have to say we're giving away far too many chances right now for me. We've been vulnerable from set pieces all season, and last couple of games Katic & Goldson have both been poor.

Gerrard is always talking about players needing to be patient and taking their chance when given it. Well so far Helander has done everything asked of him when he's been on the pitch so surely now has got to be his chance?

Yes.
Have to say we're giving away far too many chances right now for me. We've been vulnerable from set pieces all season, and last few games Katic & Goldson have both had mares.

Gerrard's always talking about players needing to be patient and take their chance when given it. Well so far Helander has done everything asked of him when he's been on the pitch so surely now has got to be his chance?

Could replace either of today’s centre halves.

Last edited:
Have to say we're giving away far too many chances right now for me. We've been vulnerable from set pieces all season, and last couple of games Katic & Goldson have both been poor.

Gerrard is always talking about players needing to be patient and taking their chance when given it. Well so far Helander has done everything asked of him when he's been on the pitch so surely now has got to be his chance?

What has Helander done on the pitch that makes you think he should play?

It was Katic who was the issue today.

He was terrible.
Katic has been outstanding bar today and the Tim’s where the whole lot were pish

If he was ever going to start Helander I think it’d of been today.

I’d be surprised if he split up the defence for Thursday

The whole defence was shambolic today. Halliday was out of position almost every time, and with no Ryan Jack there was no cover for the back four.

I’m in no doubt we need to try some other options, as that today will be absolutely destroyed in the Europa.

The time for Helander was today.

Goldson and Katić have been poor. Our defence as a whole have been garbage for the majority of the season thus far.

The left back position is a real concern as well. Halliday isn't up to it. Today should be the last time we see him in that position.

That defence, except Tav, had a day off today. Poor showing.

Aribo has now had four on the spin where he’s been anonymous. Ojo, I actually don’t know what to say.

No player can say they had a great game today.

The time for Helander was today.

Goldson and Katić have been poor. Our defence as a whole have been garbage for the majority of the season thus far.

The left back position is a real concern as well. Halliday isn't up to it. Today should be the last time we see him in that position.
Before the OF we conceded 5 goals in 12 games, hardly garbage.

6 clean sheets in Europe is not garbage.

Defending agaisnt Midtjylland away was poor, goal conceded at home to Midtjylland was poor. The defence was opened up with ease at times in Warsaw. St. Joseph's and Progrès are pub teams.

Defending agaisnt Kilmarnock was poor, we were lucky not to be 2-1 down and conceded a soft goal. We were slack and sloppy agaisnt St. Mirren, Morais missed a late sitter. Ropey at times against Hibs and conceded a shit goal. The defending agaisnt the bheggars was amateurish. We failed to deal with balls into our box today, the centre backs and left back were all over the place at times today and Livingston had other chances.

Our defence and defending as a team is poor. Even if it's not been punished.

Yes hopefully he’ll come in for Goldson for Thursday noght

Defending agaisnt Midtjylland away was poor, goal conceded at home to Midtjylland was poor. The defence was opened up with ease at times in Warsaw. St. Joseph's and Progrès are pub teams.

Defending agaisnt Kilmarnock was poor, we were lucky not to be 2-1 down and conceded a soft goal. We were slack and sloppy agaisnt St. Mirren, Morais missed a late sitter. Ropey at times against Hibs and conceded a shit goal. The defending agaisnt the bheggars was amateurish. We failed to deal with balls into our box today, the centre backs and left back were all over the place at times today and Livingston had other chances.

Our defence and defending as a team is poor. Even if it's not been punished.

All true, but other teams will always create chances against us. The number of games we’ve kept clean sheets shows we have capable defenders but need to work on the consistency.

I think he should have started today. Given the fact he didn’t I’m not sure you can then throw him in on Thursday. It’s a gamble.

He'll start Thursday. First Europa league game was when Worrall became a regular

Agreed. Think he’ll start on Thursday, probably in place of Katic (on the basis of nothing more than the fact Goldson doesn’t get dropped often, could be either).

I think he should have started today. Given the fact he didn’t I’m not sure you can then throw him in on Thursday. It’s a gamble.
Agreed today was the day to start him , given that he didn’t Thursday would be a huge risk.
And then begs the question , why did we pay 3.5m for him.

Yup that's what we have paid the big bucks for.we are lacking confidence middle of the back 4, gloss it over as much as you want.

Katic and Davis were the only two with pass marks against the Rattlers.

Katic was just as poor as the rest v Celtic and struggled badly against their centre forward today.

I love the big guy but let’s not kid ourselves he’s the finished article and criticise when he’s due it. He’s been rotten his last two starts.

That defence, except Tav, had a day off today. Poor showing.

Aribo has now had four on the spin where he’s been anonymous. Ojo, I actually don’t know what to say.

No player can say they had a great game today.

Ojo came into it a bit in the second half, but needs to improve. Aribo, needs to play further forward, always seems to drop too deep.

Katic was just as poor as the rest v Celtic and struggled badly against their centre forward today.

I love the big guy but let’s not kid ourselves he’s the finished article and criticise when he’s due it. He’s been rotten his last two starts.

Don't think he was as bad as you make out against the Crash Barriers.

Maybe the 9 hours on the drink first night in Vegas and hanging on until 4am for the game was my excuse of my opinion :p

Don't think he was as bad as you make out against the Crash Barriers.

Maybe the 9 hours on the drink first night in Vegas and hanging on until 4am for the game was my excuse of my opinion :p

Haha I did that once in LA. We got beat then too :(

Haha I did that once in LA. We got beat then too

Aye I've an utterly horrendous record when I go away on holiday. 15 of us there were Bears too. I rapped it at half time as I saw the way the game was going plus had been on if from when we got there and checked in at 3pm on the Saturday lol.

Gerrard obviously sees him in training and thinks he's not ready yet.
Has to prove himself in training there must be a reason Gerrards not picking him and favours Katic and Goldson.
I think people really want to see him due to the money spent on him but must be a reason he's not playing, after all, we spent big on him.
Worry for me is it becomes a recurring theme I.e Grezda and Barasic.
3.5m was a huge chunk of our budget.

I think people really want to see him due to the money spent on him but must be a reason he's not playing, after all, we spent big on him.

Imo one of Gerrards biggest mistakes was fucking about with the defence too much. Goldson I think is one of Gerrards mainstays wether people like it or not. If he comes in it will be for Katic. Drop Katic again despite him having played very well we could end up with an unhappy player.

Surely if Helander was doing it in training he'd have had a chance other than East Fife?

Imo one of Gerrards biggest mistakes was fucking about with the defence too much. Goldson I think is one of Gerrards mainstays wether people like it or not. If he comes in it will be for Katic. Drop Katic again despite him having played very well we could end up with an unhappy player.

Surely if Helander was doing it in training he'd have had a chance other than East Fife?
This is it Goldson in there as he's the one vocal player who although makes mistakes is quite a good organiser.

Katic had a poor game today everyone was poor vs the unwashed. However the biggest issue isn’t the occasional poor game. It’s the fact that well drilled teams are using, Niko on his weak side to reset and regain shape, they drop off and let him have the ball knowing he wants to turn back inside onto his stronger side, it slows our play down massively which is a real issue when playing against a low block. It’s a double issue when Flanagan plays as both want to turn inside.

Not sure the point of his signing tbh

That amount of money should be a starter

A player should be a starter because of his performances and not his price tag. Right now, Gerrard obviously feels Goldson/Katic deserve their start. He sees all 4 of them a lot more often than we do it’s reasonable to accept he’s calling it right.

Goldson made a cock-up last week and Katic was crap throughout today. Both were immense against Legia.

Back