Time for Sakala to get a run in the team.

I'm mystified why Sakala isn't playing much. He must be shite in training because in the games he's played recently he has been a breath of fresh air.

It's an absolute mystery, he's totally different level to Wright and is also fantastic in the air, which you can't say about any of our other forwards.

Just get him back in the team.

He was great against hearts and hasn’t been seen since for some weird reason. Watching hagi and Wright play that right wing role over him is tragic tbh. Hagi is terrible and Wright is a squad player you bring on as a sub. Sakala is miles ahead of both and deserves to start far more than he has since Gio came in.

No idea why he waited so long to bring him on. Wright, Hagi (goal aside) and
Kent offered nothing for either the majority or all of the game.

The Hearts game we created chances but a worrying lack of creativity in both tonight and the Hibs game.

Is there a question over his defensive contribution? He looked more dangerous than Wright.
Possibly, but we need some spark in the forward areas and he looks a lot more likely to provide it than the others to me. I think he deserves a few starts to see what he can do.

I now have serious reservations about Wright.

He just wanted that game to be over tonight & showed no strength of character.

Additionally, Hayes probably created more danger to us than he did to them.

Not good enough I fear.

Sakala must be pissed off watching him & then Hagi on current form, albeit Hagi did take his goal very well. That apart, anonymous.

What was his diving antics all about just before he got hauled off

Genuine question is this guy any better than Barker ?

I'm mystified why Sakala isn't playing much. He must be shite in training because in the games he's played recently he has been a breath of fresh air.
He constantly looks dangerous. Both him and Itten should get some real game time in the next couple of matches, we need to freshen things up and they both will be hungry for goals

Not good enough I fear.

Sakala must be pissed off watching him & then Hagi on current form, albeit Hagi did take his goal very well. That apart, anonymous.
I think with Hagi getting a yellow early on it may have put the shackles on him a bit

Wright is very much looking like a 1 in 5 player.

The one game that convinces you to play him then nothing after.

Sakala is far more dangerous
Agreed, Wright is a luxury player who is possibly better coming off the bench, Sakala is raw, but I wouldn’t fancy playing against his pace and strength.

Not good enough I fear.

Totally agree Grigo.

At the start of the game we saw him take that direct ball first time on his right foot into the Aberdeen box and he was unlucky to get on the end of it with Lewis rushing out quite well to collect. And you’re thinking to yourself, “ok Wright looks up for this”.

And then he does %^*& all except for that wonderful switch to Kent in the run up to our goal. He had two runs into the box which ended up in nothing and then hid like a mouse all game. It’s just not enough.

We were all impressed by Wright’s sub appearances last season and very excited with the signing but at the end of the day he was coming on in games that were all ready wrapped up in a league campaign that was already won so there was zero pressure.

Now with the league open and everything to play for he has just not done enough to convince us he is adequate.

Sakala is simply the better player. Wright is probably better at passing. Sakala is better at every single other attacking attribute: heading, dribbling, shooting, pace. I made the point in another thread that Sakala scored a hat trick at Fir Park playing on the left wing. Wright will never ever score a Rangers hat trick. Yet Wright is getting the nod. Clearly Gio sees something we don’t.

We desperately need at least one RW and tbh id be looking for two because if Kent gets injured the drop off in quality is stark.

Wright unfortunately looks out of his depth. Too little output at the end of a run and regularly gets drawn into fouling opponents. Has no standing.

Sakala has more energy, pace, awareness and seems more capable all round. Genuinely think the link up play would improve with Hagi, Morelos and Tav if he was playing.

Morelos got virtually nothing from Kent, Hagi or Wright. He dropped deeper and we know that doesn’t help us as a team. He wasn’t great but wasn’t afforded any service. Thought he pressed well, done well in build up to the goal & very unlucky with his volley, our only shot on target second half.
Morelos was good. As you say very unlucky not to score a ridiculously good volley and also created that half chance for Tav at an angle in the box when he plucked out a difficult ball in the air with a high right foot and played it through to Wright. Incidentally Wright probably could have tried to take his man on and shoot. His lay off to Tav was fine but it was always a tight angle and easy for Aberdeen to close down.

One criticism of Morelos was that he maybe should have been in the box for that cross that Kent played in that whizzed past everyone. It was actually a great cross in that gap between the goalie and the six yard box. One touch from Morelos or even Wright who should have been there too and that’s in. That’s another advantage of playing Sakala. He has the instinct to find space in the box for headers.

Guessing Gio maybe thinks he can be more effective off the bench with his pace when teams are tired, personally I’d rather start him and use his abilities to get us a goal or 2 up. Then bring on Wright

…but then thats maybe why I’m not a manager :)

It looks like Gio doesn't really rate Sakala, but he's on a different level to Wright.
An absolutely bizarre situation.

Fashion Jr has done well with the few chances hes been given, mostly appearing off the bench.

Scott Wright has proved to lack an ability to seize games and impact them enough, yet there he was again last night. In the XI and effectively offered a blunt attacking option.

Rangers cannot afford to carry passengers in games like that. With Aberdeen pondering about aimlessly with the ball, someone like Fashion with his pace and movement would have been a constant threat had he been on the pitch from the start or brought on much sooner.

Even his short time last night he looked dangerous.

Gio’s got a blind spot for Hagi.

His goal doesn’t excuse yet another under-par performance, Sakala must be wondering what the actual %^*& is going on.

I’m not arguing Hedges isn’t the better player but he’s still no where near good enough

I wouldn’t take Hedges. He’s not good enough, he’s still better than Wright.

Wright is Aberdeen level and he wouldn’t get a game ahead of Hedges. The lad Jenks is also better.

I don't think Wright is anywhere near as bad as is being made out on this thread but it's baffling how little Sakala has been used by both Gerrard and now Gio.

A genuine goal hanger and has pace to burn with and without the ball.

I'm surprised he hasn't been starting or getting more minutes off the bench.

Has blistering pace and brings a goal threat why not play him he's a far better option on the wing than Wright or Hagi.

Back