Time for the board to step up

Sensible Head

I think we may loose atleast 5-6 of the 1st team starters from last night then include the ones on the bench a major rebuild.. for me young lowry starts next season . .. the board need to give GVB ALL THE SUPPORT n funds that will be available.. we either grow and get bigger from this experience or wither away.

OK I'll bite.Care to share your thesis with us all.
We have players who we should be selling for a decent chunk of cash on the back of having already sold a player for 16 million and an extended European run and all that comes with it , and a decent chunk of wages about to go off the books

Talk me through why we shouldn’t be spending a small fortune TBH

We have players who we should be selling for a decent chunk of cash on the back of having already sold a player for 16 million and an extended European run and all that comes with it , and a decent chunk of wages about to go off the books

I admire your optimism.I have the same hopes and aspirations as most on here, but I just can't see where all the money will come from.There is an argument that the Patterson money will be around 9 million, with little prospect of ever reaching 16 million.There is a small matter of a court settlement with the fat man,god knows what that will cost.
For what it's worth, I think Morelos,Kent and Bassey will be for the off and we will realise in the region of 30 million-less whatever of the 7 million we owe to Liverpool for Kent and the 10% due to the Finnish club for Morelos.
At least we have the hope of CL qualification via the upcoming qualification rounds and failing that,EL group stage.

The money from Paterson. The money from Gerrard and his team. The money in getting this far in the Europa which we’ve been told is more than group stage CL

We must have money on the books and lots of it.

I’d say a good chunk of our first team have ran their course with us. Not that they are bad players or haven’t done well (ish) for us. But we need to refresh the squad.

Mcgregor, borna, helander, Davis, kamara, kent, sakala, goldson all probably need to be moved on either this summer or winter.

Big job for gio imo

I admire your optimism.I have the same hopes and aspirations as most on here, but I just can't see where all the money will come from.There is an argument that the Patterson money will be around 9 million, with little prospect of ever reaching 16 million.There is a small matter of a court settlement with the fat man,god knows what that will cost.
For what it's worth, I think Morelos,Kent and Bassey will be for the off and we will realise in the region of 30 million-less whatever of the 7 million we owe to Liverpool for Kent and the 10% due to the Finnish club for Morelos.
At least we have the hope of CL qualification via the upcoming qualification rounds and failing that,EL group stage.
The settlement with the fat man,we owe Liverpool £7m still for Kent?
I think we've found ill-Phill's log-in.

It’s the biggest window since Gerrard first arrived. We need to move 1 or 2 players on early and have clear targets lined up so they are brought in for pre season training

Ross Wilson needs to deliver or questions will be asked

There should be some money available but there won't be many high value signings, although there should be some.

The additional funds will need to be split between signings (and their wages), new deals for players who are staying (Bassey the priority) and the ongoing running costs for the club.

The issue will be finding clubs willing to take some of the players. We sadly can't rely on guys like Jack, Hellander and Roofe and I think Aribo, Morelos and Goldson will move on. I'm not sure what to do with Kent some games he's unplayable but his numbers for someone in his position are poor

Please try to be serious.I believe most modern transfer fees are staggared and the recent news of a court settlement will not just go away.Ill Phill,FFS.
It has been settled.
Ryan Kent was signed 3 years ago,the only lunatics i see mentioning the Kent fee are rats,find it very strange a Rangers fan mentioning it.
How much do you think we owe Liverpool for Ryan Kent?

The funds needed disappeared last night unfortunately need to build from the young players already at the club
I don't agree. The club confirmed that Europa money this season has eclipsed what the expected champions League group money would be. We still have the chance to qualify for champions League too and given how well Europe has gone this season, I fancy our chances of getting there.

I do agree we need to show faith in the younger players too, you are spot on there.

It has been settled.
Ryan Kent was signed 3 years ago,the only lunatics i see mentioning the Kent fee are rats,find it very strange a Rangers fan mentioning it.
How much do you think we owe Liverpool for Ryan Kent?
Certainly no rat mate and I can only go off what I've read on here in the past about transfer fees.
This place is supposed to be for football discussion and not insults as far as I can see.

There will be a lot of talk about missing out on CL money to fund a rebuild from some. It’s nonsense

We should be able to be tooled up with a sh*t load of cash

We’ve just had a run to the Europa league final that will have earned us good money so hopefully you’re correct mate.

You don’t need to spend big time get players that will improve us.

Not all the time but we may lose an influx of top players.

As I said previously unsure if he’s away to Roma or it was a rumour but we should be going for that Solbakken from Bodo.

Personally, I feel the January window was a “look at us” type vanity window from both Wilson and the board. This one needs proper planning that should already be in place.
Players that are being sold - Aribo, Kamara, Kent (?), Barisic, anyone else that’s going have to have bids and deals lined up early and get deals concluded early.
OOC players - Greegs, Davis, Goldson.
There is 6 players from the strongest current starting 11 gone.
Get a keeper signed early, and build a starting 11 around said keeper, Bassey, Lundstram and Morelos should be stay.

The run up to the Malmo game was a shitshow last season, warning signs were there from Tranmere. We simply cannot allow that to happen. We’ve made £30m plus from this run (Robertson’s own words not mine), plus the Patterson and Gerrrad fees then let’s factor in merchandise, this run alone should have made the club a fortune.

Being blunt, we can’t %^*& about and hope for CL football on a conference league budget, Gio has to be backed and backed early, anything else is bordering on mismanagement and preparing for failure

Not OP, but because we would spit the market pool with Celtic, Champions League would net us ~£30m.
This year Europa League has netted us £35-40m. An average campaign still nets us between £20-25m, and we are guaranteed Europa League Group stages next year.

Stewart Robertson said this run in europe has earned the club a little more than if we would have qualified for the champions league group stage. Add in the money for Gerrard going to Villa and Patterson to Everton and the money should be there to add a player of proper quality before sales allow the squad to be built the way Gio wants it to look.

Ffsake if we cannot get the thick end of 30 million for Bassey on his own then we should give it up.

The funds needed disappeared last night unfortunately need to build from the young players already at the club
Not all of it. We may get some more from player sales.
There the obvious one on loan leaving and retiring but I hope we don't lose more than 1 or 2 main players.
They got us to a Euro final and gave us many great Euro nights the last 3 years.
I hope we don' go back to the old days of euro failure year in year out.

Stewart Robertson said this run in europe has earned the club a little more than if we would have qualified for the champions league group stage. Add in the money for Gerrard going to Villa and Patterson to Everton and the money should be there to add a player of proper quality before sales allow the squad to be built the way Gio wants it to look.
Then there is the £15m or whatever it is in commercial revenue rises.

There is no excuse for us not having a strong budget to fund the changes that are needed

There will be a lot of talk about missing out on CL money to fund a rebuild from some. It’s nonsense

We should be able to be tooled up with a sh*t load of cash
Are we not in the CL qualifiers, getting into Champions league must be initial priority next season.

The budget will not be as high as some think unless we sell a player or two for big money.

The money we have received for Patterson is nowhere near the £16million you claim and we posted a £25million loss for last season’s accounts. I’m pretty sure the Patterson and Gerrard cash has basically plugged the shortfall.

We have made decent cash though from this run, plus whatever we can bring in from whoever leaves.

I expect Gio to have a fair wedge but not the fortunes some are expecting.

This will obviously go up massively if we can navigate the two CL qualifiers.

There should be some money available but there won't be many high value signings, although there should be some.

The additional funds will need to be split between signings (and their wages), new deals for players who are staying (Bassey the priority) and the ongoing running costs for the club.
If we get money in for Alfie, Joe and Glen assuming they all move on, then we turn an initial outlay of 1.35 million into a figure of around 30 odd million profit.
We can then invest with an eye to CL qualification knowing that in Bassey we have an asset to sell in January if things don't pan out in Europe.
Speculation I know, but why not?

But we owe millions to Liverpool for Ryan Kent.:))

Dunno why posters have to get on like this. Don't know your or the guy who made the Kent comment but if you read it again he said "whatever we owe of the 7 million for Kent"

Any sensible person will read that and understand a football fan may not how the ins and outs of the transfer fee agreement. Might have been 2million year 1,2 million year 2,2 million year 3 and 1 million year 4, which could mean we owe 1 million of the 7 we agreed.

It's not that big a leap to get to that figure.

It's fair to assume none of us on this board know what installments the club agreed to with Liverpool.

As for players going I would be doing all we can to keep Goldson and Morelos, though the Goldson ship has sailed in sure.

Barasic and Kent moved on, Aribo will undoubtedly go and try to get a good deal for Kamara.

Replacing those guys will be a very difficult task.

The funds didn't disappear unless you're chucking the CL qualifiers already.

I do agree that the "squad fillers" should come from the B team and I think Gio will do that.

We will qualify for the CL and take our title back.
Now you are talking.

Don’t look back in anger.

We how come a long way and area now back at a level where we belong.

Although initially I had my doubts Gio is the man to take us forward. Gerrard would never have got us to the Final (might have won us the SPL mind you) but Gio is learning fast.

Even the morning after We are still The People.

This board should be giving Gio £15/20 million before we even sell a player. Robertson said this run has been the equivalent of getting into the champions League money wise. Plus Gerrard and Patterson money there is no real excuse.

We will go out and spend money I reckon and we will qualify for the champions league next season.

I think we may loose atleast 5-6 of the 1st team starters from last night then include the ones on the bench a major rebuild.. for me young lowry starts next season . .. the board need to give GVB ALL THE SUPPORT n funds that will be available.. we either grow and get bigger from this experience or wither away.
He will get what they think is affordable, which will probably be less than we would like and we will need to deal with it. If they didn't gamble at the start of the season off the back of 55, they definitely won't now. That isn't all doom and gloom. We might pick up a few bargains that surprise us and hopefully 1 or 2 from the academy. Lowry being a very, I wouldn't get my hopes up for gio getting a ' warchest' as journos like to say anyway. We have a good team, a few will leave and will be replaced, most likely for less than the outgoing player. They will then get developed, rinse and repeat, hopefully we get lucky or luckier with the next batch. For all mark Allen and Ross Wilson get criticized, we have a decent team assembled for pennies in the grand scheme of things. 13 million, average teams all over Europe pay money like that for a player

Back