Time for the board to step up

Dunno why posters have to get on like this. Don't know your or the guy who made the Kent comment but if you read it again he said "whatever we owe of the 7 million for Kent"

Any sensible person will read that and understand a football fan may not how the ins and outs of the transfer fee agreement. Might have been 2million year 1,2 million year 2,2 million year 3 and 1 million year 4, which could mean we owe 1 million of the 7 we agreed.

It's not that big a leap to get to that figure.

It's fair to assume none of us on this board know what installments the club agreed to with Liverpool.
So what you're saying is we probably owe Liverpool not a lot after 3 years,that's my point,why would anyone bring that up?

So what you're saying is we probably owe Liverpool not a lot after 3 years,that's my point,why would anyone bring that up?

Because its still money we owe out of our potential transfer funds, and yes its not a lot, not the "we owe Liverpool millions" that you stated in your jest at another poster.

As that poster said its a conversation board where he fairly made a comment about money owed (which we may not owe any as none of us know the terms of the agreement) but it's a reasonable assumption that there may still be some outlay for Kent.

Anyway, I don't want to pile into an arguement over it the day after a result which has hurt us all.

The funds needed disappeared last night unfortunately need to build from the young players already at the club
If that is truly the case it would be a disgrace. £16.5m in for Patterson and Gerrard compensation, a long European run with plenty of prize money and full houses at big ticket prices, a ton of merch sold and our cut from that. I’d be expecting £15m to spend on transfer fees for Gio from that alone. Plus we will likely sell a few in the summer. Any money from that should also go straight to him.

If we get money in for Alfie, Joe and Glen assuming they all move on, then we turn an initial outlay of 1.35 million into a figure of around 30 odd million profit.
We can then invest with an eye to CL qualification knowing that in Bassey we have an asset to sell in January if things don't pan out in Europe.
Speculation I know, but why not?

I think we'll spend money and good money too. I just don't think we'll see more than 3/4 in the 4m+ bracket and between 20-22/23m in total to be available even after sales Where as reading posts on here there are some who think we'll spend a lot more (unless I have misinterpreted, which is possible).

We may need to change the wage structure as new valuable signings will command decent wages and then Tav, Bassey, Morelos etc would be in their rights to ask for a pay rise too (ask not necessarily receive)..

Then there's the upkeep/improvement (disabled fans experience esp) of the stadium, trying to account for longer term financial upkeep of the club etc.

In short, I think we'll spend good money, just a chunk of it will be used on other things as well as fees/wages on new players.

If Bassey attracts suitors and the right offer comes in we will need at least three CBs.
Balogun likely to leave, Helander and Souttar never fit.

The budget will not be as high as some think unless we sell a player or two for big money.

The money we have received for Patterson is nowhere near the £16million you claim and we posted a £25million loss for last season’s accounts. I’m pretty sure the Patterson and Gerrard cash has basically plugged the shortfall.

We have made decent cash though from this run, plus whatever we can bring in from whoever leaves.

I expect Gio to have a fair wedge but not the fortunes some are expecting.

This will obviously go up massively if we can navigate the two CL qualifiers.
Common sense at last.You have explained, where I failed to do so.

The budget will not be as high as some think unless we sell a player or two for big money.

The money we have received for Patterson is nowhere near the £16million you claim and we posted a £25million loss for last season’s accounts. I’m pretty sure the Patterson and Gerrard cash has basically plugged the shortfall.

We have made decent cash though from this run, plus whatever we can bring in from whoever leaves.

I expect Gio to have a fair wedge but not the fortunes some are expecting.

This will obviously go up massively if we can navigate the two CL qualifiers.
Absolutely spot on m8.

We need to re invest all the cash we receive from transfers and that on top of what we made from this run should see us invest at least £25/30 mil minimum into new players. Bed in a number of the youngsters to the first team squad and get them off the bench a bit more with Lowry becoming a starter.

Kent/ Aribo should be sold to raise funds and hopefully we can convince Alfie to sign a new deal. With Davis/Goldson/MacGregor/Balagoun/
Borna all likely moved on or retired I reckon 7/8 signings will come in and 5/6 of them must be looked at as part of starting 11.

With Tav/Bassey/Lundstram/Alfie we still got hell of a base to build and improve from . Hagi/Lowry and a couple of new attacking options hopefully will play a big part in reforming our attack from midfield. This run has opened opportunity to reinvest/refresh/rebuild if the board put a large chuck of finances back in. Time for that stepping up.

The board literally told us we’ve made more from Europe this season than what we would for champions league.

Then add in extra commercial revenue, Patterson 12m up front, 4m for Gerrard.

You’ll also probably make a sizeable bit of money off our current squad as well, if the Board can’t spend at least 15-20m this summer then I don’t know what to say.

The board literally told us we’ve made more from Europe this season than what we would for champions league.

Then add in extra commercial revenue, Patterson 12m up front, 4m for Gerrard.

You’ll also probably make a sizeable bit of money off our current squad as well, if the Board can’t spend at least 15-20m this summer then I don’t know what to say.
It would confirm that this board can’t match our ambition and that should be the end of them in that case.

No it's not. Have you read or accounts ? We will need to sell at least 2 first team players to help balance the books and deal with our debt, unpalatable as that may sound.
We are a selling club, that's our business model, it's what we do.

The Euro run, historic player sales etc will dent any debt we have.

Wilson should be under heavy scrutiny imo.

He’s been quite awful

Considering players contracts and his signings
I don't think he deserves another crack at it.

His track record is not good enough.

I'd be getting rid in all honesty.

With the money off the back of the Euro run and money brought in by the Patterson sale we surely have a decent kitty for next season.
As others have said we will probably lose Goldson on the free and shagger probably retires. Having Lundstrum Jack Lowry and Arfueld means we could sell either Kamara or Aribo but not both. Morelos would be hard to replace but he might push for a move and if he does then we need to accept the best offer we can get.
A clear out of surplus players like King and Balogun if we keep Katic and Helander along with the boy from Hearts coming in should free up more wages. Wright Sakala and Itten can be moved on to let us bring quality in up front.
The problem will always be the power is in the players hands. The ones we want to keep might go and the ones we don’t might stay.
Big big summer coming up for our future.

I think we may loose atleast 5-6 of the 1st team starters from last night then include the ones on the bench a major rebuild.. for me young lowry starts next season . .. the board need to give GVB ALL THE SUPPORT n funds that will be available.. we either grow and get bigger from this experience or wither away.

They have stepped up after losing 41M quid the last two seasons and kept the team together for a very nice European run that paid off.

I trust that they will balance winning with being financially stable as they continue to build the foundations for more European runs in the future.

With the recent lack of backing despite the Patterson and a Gerrard money being newly available and some of the comments alluded to by Gerrard’s staff about things behind the scenes, I have to say I’m a little concerned for the summer now we’ve lost out on the guaranteed CL money.

You just know we’re going to get some team in the middle of their season while we’re in the middle of a rebuild as well because we always do.

Please try to be serious.I believe most modern transfer fees are staggared and the recent news of a court settlement will not just go away.Ill Phill,FFS.
Liverpool will have been paid in full by now. Staggered does not mean pay at the end of the contract. If I remember correctly the compo for SD was capped at £1 max and if they settled it would likely be for less, if anything at all.

If most modern fees are staggered, and not paid at the end of the contract, surely that means we are going to do the same with our next signings?

We should be in a good/very good position already cash-wise. We are also still in a decent position to qualify for CL from the qualifiers. Even if we don't we still get guaranteed cash from Europa group stages again.

I understand we are all hurting today but the club is in a far, far better position financially now than it has been in recent times.

Chill.

Kent, Aribo, Goldson, McGregor, Barisic, Kamara. Think they’ll all be away this summer.

GVB needs what they gave Postecoglou this season - £20/25m. Gets it and he’ll compete. If he doesn’t, we’ll be in for a long few years.

We have players who we should be selling for a decent chunk of cash on the back of having already sold a player for 16 million and an extended European run and all that comes with it , and a decent chunk of wages about to go off the books

Talk me through why we shouldn’t be spending a small fortune TBH
We can and should qualify for CL. We are seeded so after this run we should fear no one.

Kent, Aribo, Goldson, McGregor, Barisic, Kamara. Think they’ll all be away this summer.

GVB needs what they gave Postecoglou this season - £20/25m. Gets it and he’ll compete. If he doesn’t, we’ll be in for a long few years.
I reckon kent, Kamara and Barisic will all be here next season. Kent will sign an order extension, Barisic will be back up left back as well

Back