Time taken by opposition keepers.

Square it!

Noticed yesterday that the Livi keeper was carrying on the well established tradition of visiting SPFL keepers taking far to long to get the ball back into play during bye line kicks and offsides.
Now one does recognise that its sometimes necessary to run the clock down when 'managing out' a game in Europe for example and our own Greegs is a past master. (That slo-mo run that's slower than walking :) )
However these guys are doing this from minute one and continue even when behind. The livi keeper took 25-35 seconds every time and without going back and counting up every event it must have been around 20 occasions which equates to a staggering 10 minutes .
This is all the more frustrating given the free pass to this by referees.

Last edited:
Noticed yesterday that the Livi keeper was carrying on the well established tradition of visiting SPFL keepers taking far to long to get the ball back into play during bye line kicks and offsides.
Now one does recognise that its sometimes necessary to run the clock down when 'managing out' a game in Europe for example and our own Greegs is a past master. (That slo-mo run that's slower than walking :) )
However these guys are doing this from minute one and continue even when behind. The livi keeper took 25-35 seconds every time and without going back and counting up every event it must have been around 20 occasions when equates to a staggering 10 minutes .
It’s frustrating, but at least he had the decency to punt it straight back to our keeper most of the time.

I find it strange that these keeper do that and it is almost every single keeper in the premiership teams - as mentioned, it is from minute one and throughout the game no matter whether they are behind or not. Just doesn't make any sense and you'd think that the managers would be booting their balls for it. Unless it's to allow their players to get into specific positions as they know we're likely to just take the ball right off of them. In that case the ref should be doing them for time wasting.

Commented on it at the game yesterday from his first goal kick,No building from the back for Livi every man up to the half way line and a big punt as far up the park as he could boot it,Nothing in the rules to say you can’t do it but it’s hardly pleasing to the eye.

However these guys are doing this from minute one and continue even when behind. The livi keeper took 25-35 seconds every time and without going back and counting up every event it must have been around 20 occasions which equates to a staggering 10 minutes .

Drives me crazy. It spoils the game.

i was going to bring this up, again, in the match thread but theres feck all you can do except rely on the ref towarn hom and book him.

First time one of the smaller sides do it at the piggery and the home fans get upset the ref will act... not sure what he would do if hes been booked and does it again right enough as red card for wasting time seems a bit much even for our (tim friendly) refs.

All part of the game for me.

McGregor is the master at it when we need it, so not sure I can complain about the diddy teams trying it.

I go back to the late sixties and it would maybe surprise you how many times I’ve seen keepers waste time all game only for the gers to score late on and then our Keeper to get booked within minutes of the goal for wasting time. I remember one game against Hearts at Ibrox where the keeper was wasting that much time the ball boy placed the ball on the edge of the 6yard box at a goal kick. The keeper then kick the ball back off the park, walked the behind the goal then back on to the park and walked the length of the goal again and placed the ball where the ball boy had put it, all in front of the referee, who said nothing but booked the gers keeper after we had scored not long after for taking too long to kick the ball into play.

It’s done at Ibrox so much due to teams not having any answers to combat our free flowing football and it’s one of the few things they can do to interrupt it.
I will agree that it’s frustrating as hell to watch unless it’s our very own legendary keeper grabbing the ball, stumbling for a few steps and then falling over.

When Roofe was standing next to the keeper preventing him rolling the ball out before punting it, he held the ball in his hands for more than 10 seconds.

I thought there was a time limit on this.

Visiting goalies have been doing this for as long as I can remember… a particular fss was courier was where the ball went off the pitch to the left of the goal… so the goalie slowly dribbled it round to the right side of the goal to take the kick.

It’s a bit of gamesmanship, unsettles the crowd, stops Rangers getting a bit of momentum… I understand why they do it - and shoe on the other foot you would be wanting your goalie to do likewise.
It starting in the opening minutes of the game leaves you wondering why they are footballers in the first place right enough.
Always makes a late winner all the sweeter too.

Greegs is a past master at running the clock down. Love seeing him break into a trot to fetch the furthest away ball possible, which is even slower than he can walk!! Difference is he only does this to protect a lead, most visiting goalies are at it from minute 1..

Chances are this will backfire against us 9 times out of 10.

We can’t moan about it whilst acknowledging that Shagger does it.
Yes we can. I do it every game :))

Big difference though is that Greegsy only does it in the last 10 mins or so, is regular spoken to about it and has been carded for it and, given how dominant we are, does it only one game in 5 or 6.

Contrast with almost every other keeper doing it the entire match and rarely getting warned never mind carded and you’ll see that it’s not comparing apples with apples mate.

Its one of the most infuriating and easily cured issues in football. Keeper gets warning as soon as he does it and the next time he dithers he gets carded. That would see most keepers at Ibrox carded within a few minutes but would liven them up for the rest of the match.

A number of rule changes have been brought in to make football more watchable and this one is a no brainer.

Last edited:
The six second rule is universally ignored.
The one that bugs me is when a keeper catches the ball then dives or flops onto the ground as if he'd just made a flying leap and needs time to get over it.
Barkas doesn't do it, though, he's still working on the catching the ball bit.

Last edited:
Its going to happen in most of our games this season...at 1 - 0 he must have thought don't give away anymore and there is still a chance, after the second Naaa

Most teams are happy to be only 1 down at Ibrox approaching the 80th minute mark.
They then feel they have a chance of getting something.
A 2nd goal for us preferably before ht blows this tactic apart.

Livingstone did the same thing last season. The game finished 0-0.
They wasted 31 minutes with throw ins and goal kicks taking about 35 seconds.
I made a video of it :rolleyes:
You only need to watch the first minute.
Ball goes out of play at 4.05. Player strolls toward it. Appears to kick something. Then walks to the wall and grabs a towel. Jumps the wall and grabs a ball. Wipes the ball off, opens gate, closes gate carefully behind him then finally gets the ball back in play at 4.42.
This went on the whole game. No ball boys but towels and gates galore.

Back