Time to change formation?

dt17

The Jay Cartwright of FF
We've been sticking with the same shape since the beginning (Motherwell aside) and in the last month or so it hasn't been working. We're not creating enough chances and teams know how to play against us.

Warburton came in for criticism due to his "Plan A better" patter but we should be looking to change things IMO.

the minute you're predictable, you're fucked

the idea that we should be playing the same way no matter if its dundee or the scum is total nonsense

Surely 3-5-2 is worth another try.

Our midfield personnel when we play 3 in the middle does not have the ability to create any sort of attacking threat.

Wouldn't be against that at all now that we've got 4 centre backs. Tav and Barisic would destroy opposition teams and it'd take the burden off of the midfield to create.

Something has to change. We played tonight with 3 defensive midfielders all looking to play the ball sideways or backwards, no wonder theres no creativity. Three defensive midfielders and 4 defenders and yet we still lost ?? Come on Rangers.

Something has to change. We played tonight with 3 defensive midfielders all looking to play the ball sideways or backwards, no wonder theres no creativity. Three defensive midfielders and 4 defenders and yet we still lost ?? Come on Rangers.

You watched a different game tonight, Ryan Jack was one of our most dangerous players tonight.

He was let badly down by Arfield, Middleton and Morelos.

Wouldn't be against that at all now that we've got 4 centre backs. Tav and Barisic would destroy opposition teams and it'd take the burden off of the midfield to create.
Agreed, if we could bring in 2 quality midfielders (i.e Davis as one) who bring a goalscoring threat and another striker (Solanke possibly) then it could work.

"We played tonight with 3 defensive midfielders all looking to play the ball sideways or backwards"

As I said, you clearly watched a different game.
I watched another Rangers game with very little creativity.

Did you see much creativity in your game ?

The reason we played 3 defensive mid is because we don’t have any other options!
We get beat and suddenly everyone knows better than Gerrard.
We played well tonight the game plan worked until greegs messed his clearance

Agreed, if we could bring in 2 quality midfielders (i.e Davis as one) who bring a goalscoring threat and another striker (Solanke possibly) then it could work.

I think big McLean at Norwich would do us a turn, as he's strong can pass a ball and also scores goals.I don't care if he played for the sheep or not, as i think he would do a good job in midfield for us. Omo.

I think big McLean at Norwich would do us a turn, as he's strong can pass a ball and also scores goals.I don't care if he played for the sheep or not, as i think he would do a good job in midfield for us. Omo.
Don't know much about him but I think we need to spend a few quid on players who will be head and shoulders above anyone in the league.

McLean probably isn't in that bracket.

I must admit I dont like that formation, 442 all the way

Shagger
Tav-McCauley-goldson-barasic
Candeias-arfield-jack-Kent/grezda
Morelos-lafferty

Sick of worry about how other teams play, let’s go for them

At least until the window

The reason we played 3 defensive mid is because we don’t have any other options!
We get beat and suddenly everyone knows better than Gerrard.
We played well tonight the game plan worked until greegs messed his clearance

How did the game plan work?

We had to win tonight and we had two attempts at goal?

We have one striker this weekend and the Lafferty/Morelos partnership doesn't look like it will work.

Let's see what happens in January.

How did the game plan work?

We had to win tonight and we had two attempts at goal?
We were never going to go all out attack and if you think we were then get real this isn’t champ manager.
He had a game plan with players at his disposal.
Might of only been 2 shots but we got into so many good positions just wrong pass/decision was made and that’s down to quality of player not wrong tactics.

4-4-2 leave us even more fucked in centre midfield.

4-1-4-1 for me.

Although it will be 4-2-3-1 on the 29th.

I think it’s been obvious for a while that we don’t have the players to make the 4-3-3 work. To play it I feel you need to have proper forwards in the wide positions who can support the striker and chip in with goals. Our wide players can’t do that.

When we have possession in the final third it’s more like a 4-5-1 with two fullbacks and two wide midfielders floating crosses into a lone striker in the box. It’s too easy for the opposition defenders and goalkeeper.

If you don’t have players to play your system change the system until you get players who can.

I think the diamond that Murty played could work. McCrorie sitting in front of the centre half’s and Borna and Tav could push right up to provide the width.

We were never going to go all out attack and if you think we were then get real this isn’t champ manager.
He had a game plan with players at his disposal.
Might of only been 2 shots but we got into so many good positions just wrong pass/decision was made and that’s down to quality of player not wrong tactics.

But you're saying our game plan was working - how was it working? We never created anything.

Well it’s did we went for a ‘walter’ type performances to keep it tight and hit on the break,we were never going to go attack attack attack away in Europe you need to get real.
I will say it again we were a crossbar away and a few wrong decisions from getting that all important first goal.
But you're saying our game plan was working - how was it working? We never created anything.

We

We only have one striker for Sunday though
Then stick up him top with Lafferty. Now that we have 4 CH i really want to see the 3-5-2 given a proper shot and not just thrown out there in a tough game and discarded if it doesn't work right away

Thought he wouldve gambled 3-5-2 last night with Borna unleashed.

He even said postmatch he wants more of Borna and Tav together.

Think the 3-5-2 day is coming

I think we just don't have the players to play the formation. We rely on crosses, but we don't have a target man, Barisic knows how to cross a ball but in all honesty who is he crossing it to? Morelos is not a prolific ball header and in most cases the opposition CB dwarf him. We don't have midfielders running into the box but even if we did they are in the same boat as Morelos, Lafferty despite his height can't header a ball, which is odd for someone his height.

I would play 3-5-2 every home game 90% of teams only play 1 up front against us, play McCrorie as one of back 3 so if need be he steps into midfield and we can go 4 at back without having to make subs.

McGregor

Goldson McCrorie Katic
Tavernier Barasic
Jack Arfield
Kent
Morelos Lafferty

Back