Tippy Tappy Football

I think you'll find it's Tiki-taka football
tenor.gif

When Davis or Kamara get into position on the edge of the box they have no intention of shooting - their default thought is to shirk the responsibility and pass sideways or backwards. Shocking.
I’ve never been a great fan of distance shooting as, all too often, all you’re doing is surrendering possession.
There are times that it’s just desperation and hoping for a minor miracle.
That’s not to say that there isn’t an opportunity here but simply throwing your bad leg at a ground ball isn’t one of them.
All that said, the above two must’ve had half a dozen opportunities between them for a strike on goal.
It didn’t need to even be a shot, a firm pass might have got through but, neither wanted to know.
Despite my normal reservations, I was fuming that neither even tried.

It's simply a lack of ideas. The players don't know what to do in certain positions and there's a stifling lack of creativity. It was the same under managers who similarly didn't know what to do - Warburton, Pedro, even Big Eck. Our passing stats with McLeish in charge were the best in the league, even though most of the time it was just the defenders passing the ball between themselves.
You can’t seriously believe Steven Davis doesn’t know how to shoot, when to shoot and when a pass might be more productive and the best option.

I’ve never been a great fan of distance shooting as, all too often, all you’re doing is surrendering possession.
There are times that it’s just desperation and hoping for a minor miracle.
That’s not to say that there isn’t an opportunity here but simply throwing your bad leg at a ground ball isn’t one of them.
All that said, the above two must’ve had half a dozen opportunities between them for a strike on goal.
It didn’t need to even be a shot, a firm pass might have got through but, neither wanted to know.
Despite my normal reservations, I was fuming that neither even tried.
Especially when in most cases it's lined up against a 10 man wall...

Game of fine margins. Officials do their job, or Arfield scores open goal and possession we had would be us in total control and described as comfortable. They don’t and it’s tippy tappy rubbish.

It’s the way we play and it usually works. We do need midfielders that will shoot to add to it though.

It can be great to watch at times and effective but we are just too slow with moving ball forward, there's been plenty of times where we can move the ball into a dangerous position and end up passing sideways or backwards and allowing the opposition to get back into shape. We do have a tendency to overplay and try to walk ball in net, what is even worse is that when the chances come we miss some amount of sitters on a pretty consistent basis.

I’d say we only went tippy tappy when 2-1 up. Players thought we’d won it too soon and went into Harlem Globetrotters mode?

Like watching a training game at times where they aren’t allowed to shot without completing X number of passes. Too nice. And too predictable - need to mix it up a bit and put the laces through it now and again. Teams know we ain’t doing that and allows them to adapt with some certainty.

Anyone else getting sick of this.
Too many passes going nowhere,and in the opponents box we are still passing the ball instead of shooting.We overdo the passing way too much,we don't like to shoot from long range.I find this odd,as our manager had a great record from scoring from distance,so I find it hard to believe he doesn't encourage this.
Spot on,far too over elaborate at times. The tippy-tappy stuff is fine when you're two goals up. I appreciate what the gaffer is trying to implement,but we need to start winning the battles first. The tippy-tappy stuff is fine if there's an end product and I can't remember us ever having very few shots at goal.

This all day! The keeper stopping the first effort, fair one. But the follow up was criminal.
Think we’ve all been there when the keeper makes a great stop and goes to ground, ball pops back up and it’s a simple side foot into an empty net. Incredibly the keeper literally bounced back up from his first stop to get another strong hand on the second attempt.

Is passing game is good, better than most teams. But the balance atm is weighed to much on passing overload, without getting those critical shots fired into the opposition goals. Once the balance is recalibrated slightly, we will win more games far easily imo.

Or score a deflected goal,win a penalty,win a corner.
All possibilities I agree but I think the logic is that you're more likely to score from open play, when you're in control of the ball, than the gamble of a lucky deflection or hoping for a penalty. Particularly if the opposition has 10 men in the box.

Tippy tappy football can work...see 2nd goal for example.

However having tippy tappy football with Davis and Kamara teams know 9 times out of 10 they aren't shooting same could even be said for Jack to an extent. It makes it so much easier to read and defend. Urgently need a midfielder who can mix it up...draw a defender in to potentially block a shot which will create more space for tippy tappy.

Our problem isn’t tippy tippy passes inside the penalty box. Our problem is the mid field tippy tapping before reaching the box. We need a strong running mid fielder driving us forward. A Stuart McCall or Ian Ferguson type would fit the bill.

Too many passes going nowhere,and in the opponents box we are still passing the ball instead of shooting.We overdo the passing way too much,we don't like to shoot from long range.I find this odd,as our manager had a great record from scoring from distance,so I find it hard to believe he doesn't encourage this.

Agree with you. Also, I find it staggering that we haven’t invested in a high quality midfielder/leader/main stay of the team.

I don't know how many times I shouted FU*%ING SHOOT at the TV on Sunday. Pass pass pass pass pass pass pass... Goal kick

Not saying the shot isnt on sometimes, but you need to remember just because thry are in the edge of the box doesnt mean a shots on.

The player could be looking at 5 bodies in front of him (from his point of view) and the pass to the side or through is the better option.

its all good and well us looking at from the tele and screaming shoot, but id imagine with the box loaded it looks different on the pitch

Have a shot and anything can happen -
A wee deflection and goal.

But even if you don't score, it gives your opponent something to think about the next time - will I shut him down to stop the shot, or back-off?
At the moment all they have to defend is the odd bit of movement from a couple of forwards and the rest is outside the box or wide.

Seems to me that we actually mix it up more this season than we have done previously under Gerrard.

I agree I am bored to death with it and I blame the system we play because it does not suit Scottish Football, I also noticed Man Utd got gubbed by Palace and Man Utd tippy tappy style lost them the game, I hope a lot of coaches take heed that this type of play does not lead to a lot of goals being scored, which I thought our game was all about.

I get what your saying and yes I do wish they would shoot more, however I think sharp quick passing when we go to play them outside there box and into it could have these 2 lumbering oafs in knots and might be the key to a victory.

Were you raging at our 2nd goal ?

Think we’ve all been there when the keeper makes a great stop and goes to ground, ball pops back up and it’s a simple side foot into an empty net. Incredibly the keeper literally bounced back up from his first stop to get another strong hand on the second attempt.
He played it straight back at him, it was an easy safe for the keeper.

Not saying the same level of player, but it’s like Wenger’s Arsenal at their worst. Not making the most of possession and territory advantage by overplaying it.

The problem is teams sticking ten men behind the ball. It's easy for us to shout shoot constantly from the angles we have with TV cameras, and while I agree we could've shot earlier yesterday, anyone who has played the game will know shooting from distance, especially against a packed defence, is far harder than most fans think. Add to this that every time we give up a goal kick to the opposition it destroys momentum and knocks anything from 30 to 90 seconds off the clock.

Kamara is a great player, a bargain at £50k, but far too negative when he has options to move forward. Today the number of times he took a pass and moved it 5 yards the other way was unreal, offering nothing. Infuriates me!
I agree the amount of times shouting at tv for kamara to have a hit

pisses me off when someone is making a break down the wing with three on two or three on three and instead of putting in to the box they stop and pass it back

Do the management and coaching staff not see that we have a continual problem when it comes to missing easy chances and over playing passes in and around the box?

You'd have thought by now extra shooting practice and a change of style might have been looked at? Considering the gaffer was one of the best midfielders of his generation at shooting from long range it's utterly bizarre that very little looks to have been done about it.

That's about 3 times now we've gone to Easter road since Gerrard became gaffer dominated in terms of clear cut chances and dropped points.

We just don’t shoot and it’s bothered me for a while. Look at the goals Ian Ferguson scored from midfield, that’s the kind of player we need just now.

Tippy Tappy was nice when Arfield scored and Horrid when Kamara shat it and passed

Kamara is the foocking worse of the lot, the guys a fooking coward.

Back