Tippy Tappy Football

yosemite sam

Anyone else getting sick of this.
Too many passes going nowhere,and in the opponents box we are still passing the ball instead of shooting.We overdo the passing way too much,we don't like to shoot from long range.I find this odd,as our manager had a great record from scoring from distance,so I find it hard to believe he doesn't encourage this.

We're trying to create better quality chances inside the box, like the second goal. Taking a long shot at every opportunity isn't a consistent way to win football matches. And anyway, there's only one player who has the ability to shoot from range well in Hagi and he has tried a lot this season already, which has resulted in 0 goals.

Davis isnt capable of forward runs anymore. Looks neat and tidy when teams sit in as he can pass the ball sideways for fun. He's older and at least has an excuse. Kamara? Phuck knows.

When Davis or Kamara get into position on the edge of the box they have no intention of shooting - their default thought is to shirk the responsibility and pass sideways or backwards. Shocking.
How gerrard can’t instal that into them is shocking,a natural talent would shoot on sight.

Another thread slating our CM, who were hardly to blame today. The attacking 3 of Kent, Hagi and Arfield just didn’t do enough and weren’t creative enough in attack. A couple of defensive errors and a cheating referee then cost us the match. Simple as that.

Kamara is a great player, a bargain at £50k, but far too negative when he has options to move forward. Today the number of times he took a pass and moved it 5 yards the other way was unreal, offering nothing. Infuriates me!

some of our stuff was fantastic v hibs
its just getting the ball in the net thats the problem
the 2nd goal was tippy tappy stuff
if we had won 3 or 4 -2 no one would be complaining

For me the biggest frustration is all the fannying around where everyone needs a touch of the ball. It’s most evident when we have the chance to counter attack and we f*ck about with the ball until they are all back behind the ball then we have to try and break them down.
There’s a real lack of responsibility taken by the players, the way a Gazza, Laudrup, Albertz, Ferguson etc would take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Kent has to score that chance, maybe because he's trying to be more direct he takes his shot too early; and Arfield possibly hits a weak shot in his chance because he's try to keep it on target. I think that football is something we're cutting out; we are playing more direct with more through balls in the box for attackers to run onto, where they either shoot or cut back into the six yard area. The more I think about this game it only gets more frustrating, because we were by far the better side, and that second goal should never be scored against us, by anyone let alone a team of that quality. Next week, and subsequent games after, is where the players have take this set back as theirs to deal with; it's their time to prove they're good enough.

Kamara is a great player, a bargain at £50k, but far too negative when he has options to move forward. Today the number of times he took a pass and moved it 5 yards the other way was unreal, offering nothing. Infuriates me!
It was so frustrating,Kamara had a good few chances to have a go at edge of the area yet decides to shift it to the side,one in the 2nd half he had acres of space,shoot ffs.

We're trying to create better quality chances inside the box, like the second goal. Taking a long shot at every opportunity isn't a consistent way to win football matches. And anyway, there's only one player who has the ability to shoot from range well in Hagi and he has tried a lot this season already, which has resulted in 0 goals.
Couldn't agree more.
Constant shooting from outside the box, especially with a packed box, is a great way to turnover possession to the opposition.

It was that "tippy tappy football" which brought about our second goal, which was excellent.

It wasn't tippy tappy football though.

We moved the ball with authority, quick, slick, controlled passing that drew the opposition and cut them open with end product to boot.

For long spells of yesterday we were too pedestrian, slack, sloppy and instead of that cutting edge pass it was a nudge here and there. Especially on the edge of their area and from Davis and Kamara.

When the tempo drops and we resort to over passing/playing, it's absolutely brutal to watch. It's no surprise that the likes of Helander and Goldson try to get things going.

This all day! The keeper stopping the first effort, fair one. But the follow up was criminal.
He went through a period last season which any attempt at goal was like powderpuff. Almost like he is trying to carress the ball over the line and not hit the back of the net.l

I thought he had got rid of that after scoring a couple of decent goals.

Only Messi can pass the ball into the net

Too many passes going nowhere,and in the opponents box we are still passing the ball instead of shooting.We overdo the passing way too much,we don't like to shoot from long range.I find this odd,as our manager had a great record from scoring from distance,so I find it hard to believe he doesn't encourage this.
It’s great to pass constantly if you have an end product. To be like Barcelona of 3/4 seasons ago or Manchester City of 2 seasons ago you require a standard of player miles above anyone at Ibrox.

Can Kamara shot?
Thats a serious question btw.
It's farcical that an international midfielder like Kamara simply doesn't seem capable of taking a shot at goal from around 20 yds.

So many times he gets himself in a prime position for a shot but he steadfastly refuses to take it on. It's remarkable. Yet this goes on and on and we see no improvement. Our coaching staff happy with this?? So frustrating.

It's farcical that an international midfielder like Kamara simply doesn't seem capable of taking a shot at goal from around 20 yds.

So many times he gets himself in a prime position for a shot but he steadfastly refuses to take it on. It's remarkable. Yet this goes on and on and we see no improvement. Our coaching staff happy with this?? So frustrating.
Nearly through something at the telly due to him and davis farting about on the 18 yard box.

boils my piss watching it tbh but even worse when the defence do it in their own half with forwards swarming all over them like yesterday. one mishit pass and we lose a goal instead of putting their boot through it ....aghhh

We make pretty patterns at times with zero penetration .

It's noticeable even when we win games, we lack real punch and it needs to be addressed.

I like Kamara , he is a real tidy footballer but if we are relying on him to consistently provide a killer pass, or a goal, we will have a long wait.

Last edited:
The over passing is definitely a problem. It seems to coincide with our tempo dropping to a near walking pace at times. It's dominant, but rarely has an end product. Against any organised side in the SPFL who put numbers behind the ball it usually grinds to a halt at the edge of the box. We need to be more direct and with players willing to travel with the ball, quicker and more incisive. Also, around the box we need players to step up and take more responsibility.

It wasn't tippy tappy football though.

We moved the ball with authority, quick, slick, controlled passing that drew the opposition and cut them open with end product to boot.

For long spells of yesterday we were too pedestrian, slack, sloppy and instead of that cutting edge pass it was a nudge here and there. Especially on the edge of their area and from Davis and Kamara.

When the tempo drops and we resort to over passing/playing, it's absolutely brutal to watch. It's no surprise that the likes of Helander and Goldson try to get things going.

Completely agree.

We all know what people who use the phrase tippy tappy mean though. It's the guys who sit at Ibrox and regularly scream "just fucking hit it" and "get it in the boax".

I think even if they know they’re shit at it, they still need to try it every so often just to give the opposition something else to worry about.

what I would say is that our passing at the edge of the box doesn’t help because it’s always to the man standing still so he has to touch and shoot by which time he’s closed down.

Arfield is the only one who leaves space in front of him and asks for the ball in front so he can run on to it and actually put the laces through it

It was that "tippy tappy football" which brought about our second goal, which was excellent.

Of course we should want the team to play an attractive, passing game. They should be credited for that, but we also need to recognise when to adapt to what's in front of us. There are times when only the shot is worthwhile. Times when a change of pace, burst into the box, taking a man on is the best option. There has to be variation.

When Davis or Kamara get into position on the edge of the box they have no intention of shooting - their default thought is to shirk the responsibility and pass sideways or backwards. Shocking.

There was at least four or five opportunities that Kamara or Davis could have had a pop at goal and bearing in mind that keeper wasn't holding anything it's even more annoying.

I just don't see it with Kamara. He slows the game down far too much for me.

I don’t get why you put on 3 strikers and still think you can play through an overrun midfield. Went route 1 once to Itten. I’ll never understand why he has more than once striker on without changing our build-up play.

Pretty much every time I see the term 'tippy tappy' used I see it as an indication that the poster doesn't know anything about football.

Nonsense.

A lot of systems in modern football place an emphasis on ball retention and short passing. It's a great way to pad pass completion stats but it's not always effective and its not always enjoyable to watch. Not every team that prioritises safe possession can play like Pep's Barcelona side.

There's a lot to be said for a higher pressing, more direct game. The way that German teams play is very enjoyable to watch. It's a lot more direct without being a long ball game and lumps up the park to a big target man.

I thought we did well in their final third with quick one touch passing. It was really opening them up.

What we need to improve on is moving the ball quicker from back to front. Goldson, Helander, Kamara all guilty of playing slow, trundling passes which allows Hibs to get back in shape. Hit the ball with purpose and get up the pitch quicker and space will open up more.

Don't think anyone is advocating taking a long shot at every opportunity, just sometimes would do.

Really is so frustrating when guys like Kamara and Davis have absolutely no intention of shooting or trying to engineering a shooting opportunity by a quick touch to side and shoot or even some spark of ingenuity.

Sorry to say it but for me if Steven Davis is the answer then we're asking the wrong question.

I don’t get why you put on 3 strikers and still think you can play through an overrun midfield. Went route 1 once to Itten. I’ll never understand why he has more than once striker on without changing our build-up play.
Chasing a goal and leaving 2 defensive minded midfielders on that you know for a fact will never take a shot.

Davis is the creative brain (or should be), Kamara the destroyer Hemdani-like figure. They usually do their jobs. They also protect our defence when Barasic and Tav venture forward.

THEY are usually not those who try to short-pass themselves over the goal-line though. Yesterday, Kent as well as Hagi needed quite some time to find their feet and touches, passes going astray or balls bouncing off their feet. It is, in essence, theirs and Arfield's job to support Morelos and shoot from any angle. Davis, IIRC actually had a decent effort as well.

What we IMHO fail to do is adjust the team quickly enough to the demands of the day. Hibs left spaces to exploit, but we hardly put them under real pressure in their own area with e.g. a 2nd striker. Itten, Defoe and even Jones might have done us some good ... but we wait till 75. mins.

It wouldn't be so frustrating if this wasn't the case for the best part of 18 months or more now. The reluctance to switch people, formations and tactics is deeply annoying.

The amount of times we pass back & sideways does my head in -
There are many times when we miss out on goalscoring opportunities by not going forward
By all means keep possession but we need to make it count

It's simply a lack of ideas. The players don't know what to do in certain positions and there's a stifling lack of creativity. It was the same under managers who similarly didn't know what to do - Warburton, Pedro, even Big Eck. Our passing stats with McLeish in charge were the best in the league, even though most of the time it was just the defenders passing the ball between themselves.

Back