To what extent have we been unlucky this season with injuries/ circumstances?

PrivateAye72

With Hagi, Roofe, Lawrence, Helander, Davies, Lowry and Souttar all out injured they have made a combined 13 appearances for the club this season out of 14 games, 9 of which are for Tom Lawrence.
A combined 791 minutes out of a possible 8,820.

For me all of these players should be playing 1st team football, maybe not starting every game, definitely not, but a large chunk of game time between them. Obviously with players like Souttar, Roofe and Helander we knew about the injury issues, but have we been unlucky that they have had such long layoffs at the same time?
Lowry of course we couldn't be relying on every week, but he has shown what he brings to the team when he plays, offers something different and gives us/ opposition more to think about. Hagi is similar and just seems to be getting set back after set back.
We all know what Roofe can do in sight of goal. Is his Rangers career over? Or do we expect to see him back soon?
Souttar for me offers something different from our current CBs and I feel we will be alot more secure at defending set pieces and will move the ball quicker when he is in the squad (assuming he doesn't actually become Webster 2.0). We all saw him at Hampden last season and was a large part of why that game ended up in ET.
I think we all realised we missed Lawrence when he became injured, a large part of the engine room and has chipped in with goal contributions which we have desperately needed.

When these players come back, will we start seeing an improved team with more creativity/ competition? Have we been humstrung into playing the way we currently are with the players that we have and in a bit of damage limitation mode? Or is absence making the heart grow fonder and I have not seen us for long enough to start thinking that we are actually good/ could be on to something?
Obviously the length of time these players are out will depend on how much impact they can have on the season. Hoping that we may see them slowly coming back pre WC and then a mini preseason for them with added recruitment in January could see us in a good position... assuming everything isn't dead and buried by then.

Out them all Helander is the one player who can make a difference to the defence and have a knock affect to the team.

Hagi will next season for him to make an impact, Lowry needs to pick up from where he left off.

Roofe - well as much as I rate him, he just isn’t capable of staying fit

It will definitely help by at least providing more competition for places.What concerns me more is the current squad can give you wildy different performances.From turning over a 2-0 defeat in Europe for the first time in our history and beating PSV on their own patch to qualify for the Champions League to the garbage we saw against Ajax and the mhanks.Even the recent game against Dundee utd we started well only to be hanging on at the end.We need to get the winning mentality back.

We will see an uptick with players coming back. What’s worrying is we’ve only just started the season.

Thing that’s always equally frustrating along with the actual injuries themselves is that when they’re ready to play it takes them weeks (sometimes even months) to earn their places bsck and playing consistently to what we seen before

It can’t just be constant bad luck with us I often wonder if our doctors and sports team are just so inept - like long lines of them
I’m an older bear and sadly it’s been happening to us as far back as I can remember.

I understand that injuries happen but as a club we have always had a record of signing players who are injury prone or plagued by recurring injuries.

You get the very odd one who works out - to give two great examples Mark Hateley and Paul Gascoigne. However those were two proven players at an elite level so it was a calculated risk in some ways.

However the list of the ones that went the wrong way is endless. Our latest ones being Helander, Souttar, Roofe. We’ve had limited results from Roofe It’s fair to say at least he has contributed something. In Helanders case he has played less than 30% of matches for us since he signed and probably won’t play again-quite incredible for a quite expensive signing on a big wage.

As for Souttar the only man in the planet who didn’t know what would happen seems to have been Ross Wilson. Inexplicable signing.

Is it a surprise to anyone that Souttar isn't playing we could all have predicted that ,I have no idea what is happening with Ben Davies
Helandar, Roofe and Hagi were all injured before the season started and everyone was well aware of this
It seems more bad management/planning than bad luck

I do wonder if part of the summers planned business was to move on Helander/Roofe and injury got in the way meaning nobody would take them and left us with the spend on their wages. As for Hagi, I imagine when he was signed that the plan would have been to cash in on him by now as per the much maligned player trading model*

*that depends on who you listen to at the club to whether we have one or not and what stage it is at. Certainly signing players like Davies/Lawrence/Colak who will generate us limited sell on value and new deals for Mcgregor/Davis/Arfield won't generate us anything directly.

The communication and messaging from the club needs to be clearer over our transfer business and youth model. If we are going to give 3 experienced players new deals to support the likes of King/Devine/Lowry/McCann/Ure coming through for regular involvement in the first team, then great - but set expectations. What people don't know, they make up and right now within that vacuum there is a lot of noise over our lack of business and lack of assets within the first team squad that could be the next Patterson or Bassey on the "conveyor belt" so to speak.

I'm sure fans would much rather that than be left to draw their own conclusions.

I'd say we've been somewhat unlucky - a few players we knew would be injured, others that we've not had any luck with.

When you go into a game with all of Hagi, Lawrence, Lowry, Matondo and Roofe unavailable for various reasons, it's a fair amount of attacking talent you can't draw on. Adding the drop in form and confidence with Tillman and Kent, and the issues with Morelos, it's probably no real surprise we're not as good in the attacking sense as we should be.

Hopefully between now and the World Cup at least three of the five listed are available on top of the players we've had fit every week.

Yes we have been hurt badly by injuries and the shocking refereeing at Easter Road.

But you say this on here you get shot down by those who seem to gleefully embrace the notion we are in a dire mess and freefalling to mediocrity with no sign of hope.

Am not saying the world is rosy and we will romp the league when our players return but I am of the view we have injuries and suspensions have had an big impact this season.

Yes we have been hurt badly by injuries and the shocking refereeing at Easter Road.

But you say this on here you get shot down by those who seem to gleefully embrace the notion we are in a dire mess and freefalling to mediocrity with no sign of hope.

Am not saying the world is rosy and we will romp the league when our players return but I am of the view we have injuries and suspensions have had an big impact this season.
A good, balanced post.

Throw in the VAR being put on the back burner and we could easily be top! B-)

I’m an older bear and sadly it’s been happening to us as far back as I can remember.

I understand that injuries happen but as a club we have always had a record of signing players who are injury prone or plagued by recurring injuries.

You get the very odd one who works out - to give two great examples Mark Hateley and Paul Gascoigne. However those were two proven players at an elite level so it was a calculated risk in some ways.

However the list of the ones that went the wrong way is endless. Our latest ones being Helander, Souttar, Roofe. We’ve had limited results from Roofe It’s fair to say at least he has contributed something. In Helanders case he has played less than 30% of matches for us since he signed and probably won’t play again-quite incredible for a quite expensive signing on a big wage.

As for Souttar the only man in the planet who didn’t know what would happen seems to have been Ross Wilson. Inexplicable signing.
We've had some expensive injury failures on the books over the years, Oleg Kuznetsov and Daniel Prodan to name but 2 going back a bit.

Hagi - isn’t a surprise
Roofe - isn’t a surprise
Helander - isn’t a surprise
Souttar - isn’t a surprise
Davies - isn’t a surprise
Lowry - just a youth player with potential
Lawrence - one we couldn’t have foreseen.

We went into this season knowing that most of the above would be out for good chunks of the season.

With Hagi, Roofe, Lawrence, Helander, Davies, Lowry and Souttar all out injured they have made a combined 13 appearances for the club this season out of 14 games, 9 of which are for Tom Lawrence.

For me all of these players should be playing 1st team football, maybe not starting every game, definitely not, but a large chunk of game time between them. Obviously with players like Souttar, Roofe and Helander we knew about the injury issues, but have we been unlucky that they have had such long layoffs at the same time?
Lowry of course we couldn't be relying on every week, but he has shown what he brings to the team when he plays, offers something different and gives us/ opposition more to think about. Hagi is similar and just seems to be getting set back after set back.
We all know what Roofe can do in sight of goal. Is his Rangers career over? Or do we expect to see him back soon?
Souttar for me offers something different from our current CBs and I feel we will be alot more secure at defending set pieces and will move the ball quicker when he is in the squad (assuming he doesn't actually become Webster 2.0). We all saw him at Hampden last season and was a large part of why that game ended up in ET.
I think we all realised we missed Lawrence when he became injured, a large part of the engine room and has chipped in with goal contributions which we have desperately needed.

When these players come back, will we start seeing an improved team with more creativity/ competition? Have we been humstrung into playing the way we currently are with the players that we have and in a bit of damage limitation mode? Or is absence making the heart grow fonder and I have not seen us for long enough to start thinking that we are actually good/ could be on to something?
Obviously the length of time these players are out will depend on how much impact they can have on the season. Hoping that we may see them slowly coming back pre WC and then a mini preseason for them with added recruitment in January could see us in a good position... assuming everything isn't dead and buried by then.
Sorry don’t agree. Every club has injury problems, and I don’t think we are missing key players. Just not buying this argument I’m afraid.

This is Roofes last 7 years

15/16 - 48 games
16/17 - 49 games
17/18 - 39 games
18/19 - 35 games
19/20 - 16 games
20/21 - 36 games
21/22 - 36 games

We keep referencing how injury prone he was. Other than one season, that's not a terrible output.
Kemar could well be back in a few weeks and spruce up our attack. He is a great player when on it.

Big Souttar:

15/16 - 16 games
16/17 - 27 games
17/18 - 36 games
18/19 - 34 games
19/20 - 11 games
20/21 - 5 games
21/22 - 33 games

For me, Souttar isn't, never was and never will be Rangers class. Reminds me of Harry McGuire ... enough said!

It's a bit of both. I did think this previously but the gutless performances against Celtic and Ajax really made me think twice about the management. Even with these injuries the teams we put out should of remained competitive.

It’s not just this season but last. Many of the players mentioned were out for a substantial portion of a run to the Europa League final.

Incredible when you think that we had essentially 14 odd core players to pick from time and again.

Has any other team had so many long term injuries? Probably not but it's about time match officials give out players protection imo!

Very.

But we don't help ourselves by signing players with a history of injuries.
then again, if Roofe and Helander didnt have the injury records they did, we wouldnt have been able to afford them.

Since the late 80s /we definately seem to be the ACL/knee injury club of choice. you could almost put out a team that would win the league. from Brian Reid, Ian Durrant, Oleg Kuznetsoz, Hagi, Rosenthal etc I am sure there was even a thread about the best knee injury 11 a while back!

I think roofe (if fit lol) could be a good strike partner for colak. Tom Lawrence has been a big miss, the only midfielder we have that can beat his man and get shots off, his setplays have been quite good to.

Injuries certainly an issue bit poor tactics and team selection contribute too.

Players at times don't look fully fit like they were last season anyway.

Helander, Hagi and Roofe all missing are a massive loss to us and there’s no denying that.

They were part of our last title win and they all played a part, although Helander was injured.

It makes it much worse that replacements have also been injured or not good enough.

Yes it's unlucky for sure

Every player goes through a medical when they sign and I don't believe for one minute any club look at a player and think "ach he will be fine after this injury goes"

Roofe and Helander played a lot of games before their current injury problems, how can the club expect the injuries that then come

Doesn't Souttar have a broken foot? that can't be legislated for if he has had achilles problems in the past

Hagi twisted his knee terribly last January, that can happen to any player

Yes it's unlucky for sure

Every player goes through a medical when they sign and I don't believe for one minute any club look at a player and think "ach he will be fine after this injury goes"

Roofe and Helander played a lot of games before their current injury problems, how can the club expect the injuries that then come

Doesn't Souttar have a broken foot? that can't be legislated for if he has had achilles problems in the past

Hagi twisted his knee terribly last January, that can happen to any player

Doesn't Souttar have a broken foot? that can't be legislated for if he has had achilles problems in the past.

What we can legislate for is not buying players with historic injury problems in the first place.

Last season was massive IMO - if we had a full season with Helander, Jack and Morelos I think the season ends very differently - potentially adding a league title and European trophy to the Scottish Cup.

This season, it’s undoubtedly affecting performances so far. We’ll be better when our first teamers are available.

We do need to stop signing players with injury records though…

I do wonder if part of the summers planned business was to move on Helander/Roofe and injury got in the way meaning nobody would take them and left us with the spend on their wages. As for Hagi, I imagine when he was signed that the plan would have been to cash in on him by now as per the much maligned player trading model*

*that depends on who you listen to at the club to whether we have one or not and what stage it is at. Certainly signing players like Davies/Lawrence/Colak who will generate us limited sell on value and new deals for Mcgregor/Davis/Arfield won't generate us anything directly.

The communication and messaging from the club needs to be clearer over our transfer business and youth model. If we are going to give 3 experienced players new deals to support the likes of King/Devine/Lowry/McCann/Ure coming through for regular involvement in the first team, then great - but set expectations. What people don't know, they make up and right now within that vacuum there is a lot of noise over our lack of business and lack of assets within the first team squad that could be the next Patterson or Bassey on the "conveyor belt" so to speak.

I'm sure fans would much rather that than be left to draw their own conclusions.
Ross Wilson couldn’t negotiate a hot sausage roll in Greggs.

Why couldn't we be relying on Lowry every week?

From the minute he stroked the ball into the net on his debut it was immediately apparent here was a young footballer who should have been at the very least a part of the first team squad from then on in for the run in last season.

What I don't get with the likes of Wright being picked before Lowry under any circumstances is that the manager comes from a country whose natural footballing culture is to play youngsters if they have the talent.

The old adage still stands; 'If you are good enough you are old enough.'

I'd also like to add, I think the boy Diallo (sp?) has bags of natural skill but I simply don't believe he should have been catapulted into the first team squad ahead of Lowry either.

Doesn't Souttar have a broken foot? that can't be legislated for if he has had achilles problems in the past.

What we can legislate for is not buying players with historic injury problems in the first place.
You'll be doing well to find a player who hasn't had an injury before

For what it's worth he played all of last season for hearts no bother

You'll be doing well to find a player who hasn't had an injury before

For what it's worth he played all of last season for hearts no bother
Sentence A - In Souttar's case I don't think spraining his ankle playing for the Boys Brigade back in 2009 cuts it when it comes to the argument against signing him being made.

Sentence B - Consider me speechless.

Have we ever had luck with injuries?? We all know the Mols, Durrant, Baxter, Kuznetsov ones, but even listening to the latest Dominant on Heart and Hand, its a factor in every season!

Back