Today’s Sun - Celtic, Rangers and SPFL bosses face anxious wait over first Old Firm match as Sturgeon ponders fresh lockdown measures

In fairness, Rangers/Celtic it’s a completely different situation than any game in England.

If their concerns are pubs/house gatherings then you can kind of understand how the dynamic is completely different to a game where a team from North/South of England are playing each other

You could have the situation whereby you’ve got 10/15+ Rangers fans in a house watching the game and then a few houses down the road same amount of celtic fans. That’s hardly going to be the case for English games

I think it’s a load of pish but it’s not a fair comparison in reality

You only have to read and hear the press up here how this agenda is being set.It’s been out there for weeks how this game shouldn’t be played.Any excuse has been used to not play it.

And people reckon @wee bud's pit boots is a bit mad for calling this very same thing out on a different thread.
Of course the mentally challengeds are panicking, of course they are because this doesn’t fit in with their plan, this doesn’t tie in with the whole aspect of control and dominate everything that goes on.

If nippy declares another lockdown that will last just before this game, we all know who’s lobbied her, if she decided a to lockdown up to and beyond the match date, just watch the media operations ramp up from that shower of shite.

we sorely underestimate this mob when it comes to media and how they play the game.

of course they are running scared, they will be desperate for the dough as well remember. Watch out for wee snippets like that also, financial meltdown talk etc because that will be designed to be aimed at us when in reality they mean themselves.

there is nothing surer that this mob are trying to sort it so this game will be held back, in order for them to get the unwashed in, take their money their desperate for and for them to show off the tainted trophy that they stole.

Let them open up the game to fans but put bars of soap over each turnstile.
That will stop the sellick fans getting into the ground.

I think you are a troll in all honesty
Mate I know some of the conspiracy theories on here can be wild,but the poster is not wrong.In 2007 they used the death of an ex player as an excuse to avoid playing us as they were too upset,we were bang on form.Fast forward a few months and Tommy Burns has passed away and they are on form and we are toiling a bit,did they want that game cancelled,no chance.
Then the tour of Japan and sporting integrity cards to force us into playing games every couple of days before and after our EUFA final.There are no depths the scum won't stoop to.

I don't think the Scottish Government is trying to help ra sellik win the league despite quite a number of them being fundamentally hostile to Rangers.
This articles smells more of sellik with the assistance of their media pals, trying to create a narrative in the hope that the game is pushed further down the line.

There’ll be no fans in grounds anytime this season likely anyway now. It’s just stupid to want it cancelled

Mate I know some of the conspiracy theories on here can be wild,but the poster is not wrong.In 2007 they used the death of an ex player as an excuse to avoid playing us as they were too upset,we were bang on form.Fast forward a few months and Tommy Burns has passed away and they are on form and we are toiling a bit,did they want that game cancelled,no chance.
Then the tour of Japan and sporting integrity cards to force us into playing games every couple of days before and after our EUFA final.There are no depths the scum won't stoop to.
The loss of a crowd at the OF is worth about £2.5m - £3.0m to the bogtrotters.

They will be fizzing for it to be cancelled.

Unless all matches UK wide are cancelled from now, it MUST go ahead and our club needs to call it out
exactly why it will go ahead, all others games elsewhere will be on

Jesus Christ, this forum at times man.

The full UK is potentially going back into some sort of ‘lockdown’ but apparently the mentally challengeds have been planning this for weeks because they are playing poorly and won’t have any fans in, honest to f.uck.

There's some real, proper, absolute fucking maniacs posting on this thread. Genuinely. Seek help.

The idea that in the middle of a global pandemic thats devastating our economy, Nicola Sturgeon is on the phone to Peter Lawwell plotting ways to get a football match postponed so they can reschedule it to get a few hundred supporters in to the stadium.

Mental. Utterly fucking mental. I'm out.

I’m an SNP hater, but I’m genuinely amazed at how many people think the Scottish government would be making lockdown decisions based on giving celtic an advantage to win the league.

Have a word

The random fixture generator had this game right at the back of the first set of fixtures. Lennon was out in press recently saying it should be played with fans. They are desperate for home advantage with the hordes of unwashed in the stadium and desperate for the money. They will petition it to be moved to another date. This nonsense about it might not be safe even without no fans should be shot down, if they want to go down that route then just call the league now.

Last week they wanted it to go ahead with a full house. What changed?
They realise that won't be possible as we're getting a second wave of covid. They wanted fans in and it to go ahead first, that isn't going to be allowed so they want it postponed.

The chances are the game will go ahead,but trust me if they have injuries to their key players it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they"discover" covid symptoms among staff.

There’s a precedent set with St Mirren/Hibs/Hamilton that the game would still need to go ahead

No reason at all for it not to be played, Curfew will be coming in before that anyway.

I don’t see what advantage it has for either team it not being played as there will probably not be a game between us with fans this season no matter how much Beast FC want it.

They realise that won't be possible as we're getting a second wave of covid. They wanted fans in and it to go ahead first, that isn't going to be allowed so they want it postponed.

And this has been said by Celtic or it's just the usual FF putting two and two together and getting 1690?

I struggle to see how the Scottish Government can explain to Sky, and the footballing authorities up here, that they are postponing a game, or weekend of games, when every other game in Britain is going ahead that weekend?

I think the notion that Sturgeon is setting out lockdown enforcements to avoid playing an OF without fans is one of the most mental things I've ever read

I don’t think anyone’s suggesting this but the cancellation Of this game is a bi product of these draconian measures

It’s about people going to each other’s houses to watch it

Be honest though.
That’s a load of shite.

They are not going to call off a football game on the premise that people are more likely to visit other households for that one particular game.

If we go down that path, there’s little chance of us actually completing this season in time

There’s a precedent set with St Mirren/Hibs/Hamilton that the game would still need to go ahead
That's true mate but I wonder what would happen if they reported the "symptoms"on the morning of the game?I can here it now,no time to deep clean the stadium,concern for everybodies welfare,unsafe conditions blah blah blah,they would make themselves out to be hero's.

Can’t see them applying a one off rule for this game, at variance with every other fixture in Europe. Wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong, however. I think the virus situation is fast moving again, I’m afraid , and it’ll be another 2 weeks before we see the full effect of the spread of the virus resulting from looser rules.

They always wanted to have some fans inside for the game I don't doubt that but a full house was highly unlikely
That's no different to every club for every game this season so far. No club wants to have games with no fans at them.

I said on the Covid thread in the lounge that Sturgeon will want this game postponed to stop people gathering in houses to watch it.

Scottish Government will not postpone game. They will pass that decision to the SPFL. It needs to go ahead with an early kick off. Might see it moved to 11am or earlier. But wont be cancelled.

If they think that people will congregate in large numbers to watch this game on TV.
Then just don't televise it.
It will be the same people watching the match who have been watching Rangers and Celtc matches previously and after this date, there is no reason to treat this match differently from any others.
The problem is no different for this game, football is either playable or not, if not then the season should be cancelled on H&S grounds.

You seriously don't think that people will try to congregate even more if that's the case in the guy who has the season ticket's house?

This will come down more to their form and our injuries leading up to this game. We know how Scottish football works.

If there is a genuine concern about people gathering in homes to watch it, postponement isn’t the only option.

As some have said, don’t show the game live, or get Sky to put it on Sky1 or such like, as they sometimes do with other events - like some English Prem during last lockdown. So more people can see it, and less likely a need for people to gather in a house with skysports.

If people still break the likely rules on households meeting in such a circumstance, chances are they were going to do it at some point anyway.

I agree, Aribo, Jack and Roofe will all be missing if the game goes ahead so I wouldn’t mind it being postponed.

Saying that, if it had gone ahead at the usual time (4th or 5th fixture) then they would have all been fit.

Back