Today’s Sun - Celtic, Rangers and SPFL bosses face anxious wait over first Old Firm match as Sturgeon ponders fresh lockdown measures

Can't see the game being postponed as it stands. Only way is if either squad is ravaged by Covid and it wouldn't be safe to do so.

That's no different to every club for every game this season so far. No club wants to have games with no fans at them.

Of course but the timing of this game - 1 of 4 possible dates - doesn't hide the fact they wanted it more, crowds weren't going to really back before October

If the game was due to played at Ibrox i reckon it would played by now

Mate I know some of the conspiracy theories on here can be wild,but the poster is not wrong.In 2007 they used the death of an ex player as an excuse to avoid playing us as they were too upset,we were bang on form.Fast forward a few months and Tommy Burns has passed away and they are on form and we are toiling a bit,did they want that game cancelled,no chance.
Then the tour of Japan and sporting integrity cards to force us into playing games every couple of days before and after our EUFA final.There are no depths the scum won't stoop to.
I was just about to post this

There's a playbook which is followed for this sort of thing and unfortunately they're good at it. Float the idea in the media to get people talking about it, have the ginger bigot raise it at a pre-match press conference, get the media attack dogs on radio, TV and in the papers to reinforce the viewpoint. Then, unsurprisingly, what they want seems to happen. This is exactly how the league being called for the tainted 9* played out.

The Rangers view for this will be a statement which says we as a club recognise the difficulty faced and support the decision made by the Scottish Government / SPFL during the Covid crisis. It'll be wet, weak, and will achieve nothing. We know that because we're good at pointless statements like that.

If the folks at the club took a more aggresive and provocative stance, we could already be setting a narrative with the help of some Rangers people in the media (they do exist). It could point out the sporting integrity of playing games when scheduled, the fact that the fixture has already been set as late into the calendar of first-round fixtures as possible, the fact that the historic trouble at the Piggery means having no fans there is a benefit for public safety, and that we back the police to be able to deal with any of their fans that do gather around the dump and flout restrictions on social gatherings in place.

It really doesn't sound too difficult, Rangers.

Scottish Football.......the laughing stock of world football. Everyone else finished their season. Now this shite?

I'll go against the grain a bit here.

With our injury situation an OF postponement may not be the worst situation.
Aye but who is to say with our luck re-injuries we would maybe have another 3 players or more out for the rearranged match? Get it played BCD on arranged date (fixed by SPFL corruption and co) that's the most sensible and fairest option.

Going to be honest here, the way things are going, I cant see crowds being back this season.

I never thought it would come to this as I'm no doomer and gloomer. Just the way things are going, feel at best we will have very limited crowds with virtually no chance of any full houses till next season.

If they are trying to get the game postponed so they can get supporters in, when ever they have to play their game against Aberdeen that was cancelled due to boli’s Spanish day trip should be made to be played behind closed doors as that what it originally would have been regardless if it is played now or in 5 months time

I'm guessing we can now give up any hope of getting back to matches this season of this bitch follows what the buffoon Boris has came out with about measures being in force for 6 months

Latest story on bbc website saying they expect all test events to be scrapped and games to continue (including v them) behind closed doors.
If they start going down the road of games being postponed over possibility of fans gathering in homes they may as well shut the game down again as that argument can be made for any match.

Going to be honest here, the way things are going, I cant see crowds being back this season.

I never thought it would come to this as I'm no doomer and gloomer. Just the way things are going, feel at best we will have very limited crowds with virtually no chance of any full houses till next season.

Just listened to PM's statement. Looks like no crowds for 6 months. Thats this season done

No fans in from !st of October just announced by Boris. These rules are in place for six months unless the covid situation changes.

How do we face an an anxious wait!! We re no the one panicking to get our old firm home game with fans in. Corrupt to the core computer randomly gave them what they wanted when first old firm is usually played about 4 weeks into new season now they’ll be demanding to get this moved!!
what about a fixture pile up?
thought there was only one vacant week even though the manky mob have already managed to play one game n hand and they’ve still got another now they want this moved!!!
everythng!! Absolutely everything is to suit that vile club everything being done to give them best chance possible of winning this league.

Ffs if they are worried about crowds gathering then shut the pubs on the day of the game and as for folk gathering in houses thats really up to them we need to treat people like adults and hope they do the right thing but the game must go ahead sporting integrity and all that
Totally agree. No matter what happens crowds will gather. So do they think the scum will just go to game and do nothing after it!!
Aw that’s a smoke screen this is to give them best chance of winning the game which will help Them have a better chance winning the league, all geared towards one thing!!

Totally agree. No matter what happens crowds will gather. So do they think the scum will just go to game and do nothing after it!!
Aw that’s a smoke screen this is to give them best chance of winning the game which will help Them have a better chance winning the league, all geared towards one thing!!

Watch for the 24 hr lockdown over the match...

Just listened to PM's statement. Looks like no crowds for 6 months. Thats this season done
The PM was only speaking on behalf of England
Sturgeon will give her version later on this afternoon which it’s thought it will be tougher than England but I do feel that she will also follow with no fans in stadia
The restrictions this afternoon will also last for 6 months

The PM was only speaking on behalf of England
Sturgeon will give her version later on this afternoon which it’s thought it will be tougher than England but I do feel that she will also follow with no fans in stadia
The restrictions this afternoon will also last for 6 months
COBRA meeting this morning, reading between the lines, seems to have the devolved nations singing from the same Hymn sheet. We'll find out this afternoon. Personally, I dont like this 6 month initiative. I'd go for a month's total lockdown, UK closed to all air, sea travel and no internal travel. Only way to curtail the virus IMO, if not we'll be no further forward in 6 months time.

Latest story on bbc website saying they expect all test events to be scrapped and games to continue (including v them) behind closed doors.
If they start going down the road of games being postponed over possibility of fans gathering in homes they may as well shut the game down again as that argument can be made for any match.
My very thoughts, postpone this match until January, and the same problem arises.

No reason why the game should be postponed unless all football/sport is 'locked down' again.

If it was to get postponed then they'd need to cancel last seasons Scottish Cup and there's no chance of that happening.
If sport is locked down, then tell the players they are furloughed and refund everyone their season ticket money. Fucking shambles this

If Celtic are unable to host the match then they forfeit the points, simple as that.
100%. If not we just wait until we hit a bad patch, or a few injuries kick in and supporters flood social media saying they're going to turn up at the ground. Match postponed, no sanctions and we play at a time suitable to us. That's effectively what's happening here.

Dont suspend games , just play the next 2 old firm games behind closed doors., as we are going to have to play at least half a season behind closed doors anyway.

If they are worried about fans gathering to watch it why don’t they ensure it’s on council tv?

Means less people going to bars, gathering at someone’s flat because they don’t have sky.

How about Polis Schotland actually do their f**king job for once?

Back