Today saw both the best and worst of us

This is only because of injuries (Dorrans, Jack and McCrorie).

When everyone is fit, our midfield will be the strongest part of our team.

I accept that we looked weaker in midfield yesterday in the second half, but that was partly due to RC changing tactics (there's another thread on that topic today)

However, as you rightly point out, that was bordering on our second tier fringe players for midfield yesterday. McCrorie, Jack and Dorrans would walk back into that midfield when fit and then throw in Docherty, plus Murphy and Cummings possibly dropping into advanced midfield roles, as well, and that part of our team starts to look like the strongest part of our side.

I am genuinely excited about the way our squad is shaping up right now. First time I've felt so positive in almost 6 years. :)

I thought Windass was the obvious sub to make for Cummings as well mate.

Yeah. Docherty could have come on for any of the central 3 though I thought Goss was the last likely one. Holt was looking knackered and had totally faded. Cummings for Windass and Docherty for Holt would have been my choices. But then we maybe wouldn't have got that second...

Fraserburgh should be interesting. If we are going to try to get Morelos and Cummings on the pitch at the same time then that is the game to experiment in.

I accept that we looked weaker in midfield yesterday in the second half, but that was partly due to RC changing tactics (there's another thread on that topic today)

However, as you rightly point out, that was bordering on our second tier fringe players for midfield yesterday. McCrorie, Jack and Dorrans would walk back into that midfield when fit and then throw in Docherty, plus Murphy and Cummings possibly dropping into advanced midfield roles, as well, and that part of our team starts to look like the strongest part of our side.

I am genuinely excited about the way our squad is shaping up right now. First time I've felt so positive in almost 6 years. :)

Also remember that we had 5 “new” guys playing yesterday. Some of which it was only their second appearance!

The team still requires improvement, of that there is no doubt. But whilst it’s still early days for our new signings - the signs would suggest that we are in a far better place than we were 2 months ago!

Our team will get even better without any more additions. ie the new guys will settle, Murphy Cummings, Martin and Goss will get sharper with more game time, and our injured players will eventually return to action.... all resulting in positivity for the team. Such healthy competition might even have a positive affect on the likes of Holt, Windass and Morelos.

The feel good factor is well and truly back.

It looks like someone has had a word in Morelos' ear about his reaction to being substituted.

He applauded the fans this time, as opposed to looking like he was going to burst oot greetin or smash someone's head in last week.

I would still love to see Cummings up front WITH Morelos though.

He applauded the fans against Aberdeen as well, not sure what others think but I would rather our players are dissapointed at being hooked.

I agree though really would like to see us go with Cummings & Alfredo up top, perfect chance against Fraserborough.

First things first, delighted with the three points.

Positives - Both wingers were outstanding. Murphy and DC's willingness to do a shift and track back went a long way to getting us a victory. Really impressed with Murphy so far. As for Candeias he can make your bang your head in pure frustration at times but I'd rather have him than not have him. He's been a great signing at £700k. Holt and Goss both played well but IMO are far too easily outnumbered at times in the middle of the park which is a failing of our system rather than them. Goss' passing is utterly sublime at times. One pass to Murphy in the 1st half was beautiful. Tav continues to get better every week, David Bates looks a completely new player and Martin has settled well. As for Cumdog ? The boy was born to play for us. Brilliant scenes at the goal. We love him and he loves us back. He does the same next week and there will be utter bedlam in the stands!

Negatives - Yet again a failure to kill teams off is our weakness. So many chances to wrap that up, Morelos has to hit the target with his chance first half. Murty's refusal to make changes until it's late on remains a worry. Holt and Goss could be doing with some help in the middle of the park to relieve the burden forced on them.

Another game, another 3 points. We're getting better but I still think we have a needlessly exposed jaw that's susceptible to the sucker punch when it doesn't really need to be.

Seen a few folks saying Murty reluctant to make changes until late - however lets look at the people that actually came on - Cummings, Halliday - both are short of match fitness and so introducing them too early could have been a mistake.

Docherty I know is just back from an injury, but I dont think has been out that long so could have came on earlier - perhaps Murty trying to allow Goss as much time as possible for his own match fitness?

Just another angle to consider really.

Back