Today was Ryan Jack injury update from his Surgeon I believe - any information

ChildOfGoth

On how it went

Stevie G said in an interview we are hoping for Ryan to get the sill steam ahead clearance .

We’ll know tomorrow, the club will tweet a picture of him in training if he is.

Failing that then the press conference on Friday

A fit Jack would be like a new signing he has been in and out the team so much. Would love him to nail down a starting spot.

Big admirer of Jack . One of our longest serving players now , one of only 3 I think who were here before Gerrard ( Alfie and Tavernier the other two ). The stat of roughly 50% of games missed in four seasons means if you look at things in the cold light of day regardless of surgery it is very, very unlikely he will ever be a 50 game a season player . I’m hoping for the best but I’m being realistic in my expectations as it is very rare for a player to go from such persistent injury problems to become a Conor Goldson or Steven Davis type of consistency . He’s too good a player to give up on and I’m glad we are doing all we can to try and get him to a level he needs to be to contribute .

I think this is make or break for Ryan. No way should any shortcuts be taken.

Desperate to have a fully operational RJ back available for selection but no point having him for five or six games and then back in the treatment room.

And tbh, he won’t be an automatic selection when he returns. Spoilt for choice in mid-field now.

I reckon if he is back to what he was he very much would be an automatic choice , when completely fit .
Also still got about 6 seasons in him imo

If all our midfielders are fully fit then on paper its probably Kamara Davis Lundstrum, obviously horses for courses though.

I think Lundstram’s arrival plugs the hole of a missing Ryan Jack.

I suspect the Englishman was added specifically because we could not guarantee Jack would remain fit.

If he recovers fully and pushes for a place again however it’s going to be like having a new player.
I see Lundstram as an attacking version of Jack. Similar to Aribo being an attacking version of Kamara.

Lundstram has been impressive so far, however I worry he doesn’t have Jack’s positional discipline to know when to cover for Tav and that’s vital for games in Europe and tougher domestic ties like pittodrie and easter road.

I see Lundstram as an attacking version of Jack. Similar to Aribo being an attacking version of Kamara.

Lundstram has been impressive so far, however I worry he doesn’t have Jack’s positional discipline to know when to cover for Tav and that’s vital for games in Europe and tougher domestic ties like pittodrie and easter road.
Lundstram is closer to Arfield than any of our other players IMO, with a bit more pace and a better range of passing - albeit he doesn’t have Arfield’s tactical discipline.

Niether were goal threats before joining Rangers, hopefully Lundstram makes that transition like Arfield has.

Gerrard has pretty much said in the past a fit Ryan Jack is one of the first names on his team sheet. When the players do RTV teammate interviews and they’re asked who is the best trainer or who sets standards in training mostly all of them say RJ.

I know there is a lot of competition but if Jack can get back fully fit and this surgery has solved his niggling problems it would be that old cliche of essentially getting a new player. A fantastic one at that.

Think you are spot on here. Jack does so much work off the ball, makes so many selfless runs and his positional sense is absolutely superb. Tav always looks a better more confident player with jack in the team.

People who watch the ball don't appreciate what player Jack is. People who watch the game understand exactly why Gerrard has him in the team and rates him so highly. Look at our stats with him in the team. That speaks for everything about the lad. Hopefully he is fixed and can go on and become a real Rangers legend.

If that is the case doubt we’ll hear about it until the Livingston presser.

As much as I rate Jack I don’t think he’s sturdy enough to be relied upon, glad we have a lot of options in midfield as he’s missed more games than Davis has who’s 7 years older since Davis joined.

Think you are spot on here. Jack does so much work off the ball, makes so many selfless runs and his positional sense is absolutely superb. Tav always looks a better more confident player with jack in the team.

People who watch the ball don't appreciate what player Jack is. People who watch the game understand exactly why Gerrard has him in the team and rates him so highly. Look at our stats with him in the team. That speaks for everything about the lad. Hopefully he is fixed and can go on and become a real Rangers legend.
You do make good points but one issue I’ve always had with Jack is his decision making and quality in the final 3rd, especially against sides with 10-men behind the ball. But again that’s a situation where we can use Lundstram more often in a ‘horses for courses’ scenario.

It’s what I love about our squad. There’s no strongest XI, but instead a different strongest XI for whoever we face.

Agree with off the ball comment
It took a mate to point out how hard Alex McDonald worked off the ball
Ryan and Scotty Arfield have ran that timmy
Midfield. Ragged

He was playing Call of Duty Warzone with Malksbev on Twitch last night and came off as a happy man. He seems like he's in a good place.

In all honesty, Ryan Jack is no more than a squad player now and we should be looking to replace him

People might say I’m being harsh but you can’t rely on him to play 25+ league games a season and will always continue to pick up wee injuries

In all honesty, Ryan Jack is no more than a squad player now and we should be looking to replace him

People might say I’m being harsh but you can’t rely on him to play 25+ league games a season and will always continue to pick up wee injuries
Madness.

Steven Gerrard sounds delighted that he is back training with the team now, and should be full contact in 10 days. "Like a new signing".

First pick every time for me, and fortunately the manager seems to be of the same opinion.

I'm sure his op was to prevent the injury niggling him. I would expect when fully fit he will be available all season.

Madness.

Steven Gerrard sounds delighted that he is back training with the team now, and should be full contact in 10 days. "Like a new signing".

First pick every time for me, and fortunately the manager seems to be of the same opinion.
We’ve heard for ages he’s close and it’s always another set back. I’d place Roofe in a similar category if he continues to have injuries in the upcoming season

I don’t dispute he’s a good player but hes unreliable in my opinion purely based on injury record

I'm sure his op was to prevent the injury niggling him. I would expect when fully fit he will be available all season.
If that’s the case and he remains fit (still to be convinced but happy to be proven wrong) then he’s a starter every week

Sadly I don’t see it being the case though

We’ve heard for ages he’s close and it’s always another set back. I’d place Roofe in a similar category if he continues to have injuries in the upcoming season

I don’t dispute he’s a good player but hes unreliable in my opinion purely based on injury record.
Gerrard literally said this morning that Jack is training well with the squad, only requiring one more green light to let him contest for headers and basically go full contact etc.

So it sounds very positive for me.

Ye it seemed like overall SG is saying he has progressed to another phase of his recovery . Not entirely clear but hopefully that happens in another 10 days .

Will be like a new signing when he’s back fully fit hopefully but where does he fit in?

we have some depth in the squad now what is brilliant

I don’t dispute he’s a good player but hes unreliable in my opinion purely based on injury record

No disrespect mate, but what you're saying simply isn't true.

He hasn't had a single set back since his op and the reason he got the operation was to prevent the problem recurring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back