Todays political press and police savaging - some background

What the OP describes is very easy to believe. Smacks of political posturing and finger pointing - no real substance.
The government and police have been proved to be unable to prevent mass gatherings in the past year (or even grouos of mums in play parks), so for them to suggest a football club could do it (armed with twitter and a website) is frankly hilarious.

See I could believe all that but I don't believe any of it.

The final whistle had barely blown and the players were over to the fans, no way a police commander has gave message to the club and then that's got to Gerrard and then the players imo
The whistle blew and they were almost instinctively off
They had about 2 hours to plan it. It's stated that something had to be done when they realised the fans weren't going home to watch the game on the telly.

OP has it spot on here. Police and Club shafted by incompetent ScotGov. Police tactics were when you think about it, very professional by large and the club said to fans to stay safe at every opportunity and the tactic of showing players was fully reasonable - give the fans what they want.

Although the players went to the fans right at the end of the game like v Livi. I think some came out again later on though.

It's so obvious they've used this as an opportunity to deflect from the Holyrood enquiry into the lies of their leadership. These people think we zip up the back and unfortunately many of their followers do!!

I’ve got a mate thats in CID and is a massive bluenose. I’ve not spoken to him yet on what he thinks about it all, he will give me honesty when
I do. He hates working for Police Scotland, he loved working for Strathclyde police and said it’s now run by politics. He’s not far away from retiring so no point leaving now. No doubt that statement came from SNP scum

I've got absolutely no problem with the Police actions at the weekend.

Most of the stuff I've seen has been very positive and this is the Natsis trying to bring the Cops to heel to do their bidding now.

The statement by the DCC is no nore than political posturing.

They had about 2 hours to plan it. It's stated that something had to be done when they realised the fans weren't going home to watch the game on the telly.
That makes sense, that was the dots I couldn't join up. It looks like the Scottish Government didn't want to put their name to anything that wasn't just a stay at home message. Throwing the police and club under the bus that had to deal with the reality of folk clearing not at home or going home

A quick meeting with Rangers security and a Police Inspector on duty came to an AGREED conclusion that some brief Socially Distanced interaction between the players and fans may effectively "give the fans what they want to see" and hasten their departure, hence the players going to the Copland gates after the match and then out the dressing room windows was actually encouraged to a large extent. This similar tactic was also asked of the players at Auchenhowie yesterday afternoon to achieve a similar purpose.

that part always made sense to me
the players went to the corner/came out at Auchenhowie to say "here we are, now go home"
otherwise the fans would stay indefinitely

Reactions: TNT
Find it sort of hard to believe the players were told to go to the fans as a sort of stunt rather than a spontaneous act, especially when they were steamboats at the training centre, but I’ve no doubt the rest of that is accurate. Good to hear the police are privately unhappy being used as a political football by our scum politicians.

To be fair that is a lot, that's the equivalent of 500 arrest in a full Ibrox. 1% sounds like a small figure but it really isn't in this context.

That been said, where were the SNP in their condemnation of all other mass gatherings.

Maybe the issue is that they hate the fact that there was a huge show of support for the Union due to all the Union Flags on show on every press outlet worldwide. They will hate that as that flies in the face of their agenda.
This and the won't rest until they've had their bloodlust sated.

This is clearly May election based.
Just seen on Sky Sports News still going on about the weekend. They conveniently forgot that there were no arrests on Saturday. I think they arrested a few people in Sunday to make them look good or were told to.

So the SNP are basically wielding the cops like some commie despot with Ministry of the Interior troops?
Ceaucescu's first name was Nicola, wasn't it?
A similar outcome would be a bit harsh but wouldn't sadden me if I'm being honest.
It’s what happens when politicians have a direct influence on day to day policing, hence the reason regional forces were merged in to Police Scotland, they are directly controlled by the SNP.

Quick point...I thought the SPFL/SFA represent the football clubs and are there to protect them. I don't think Rangers could say anything without getting there permission. They SPFL/SFA should be all over this defending the club...yeah ha ha

This is a comment that could just as easily go into The Lounge. Deflect and deny does not begin to cover the Scottish Govt strategy. We were promised a new way of doing things when the SNP took over power at Holyrood. And we do. Malcolm Tucker could learn a trick or two from these self-serving reptiles.

Imnopen on this forum that I'm a police officer (not in scotland) but I always say this regardless of what it is it's pretty much impossible to stop a gathering if hundreds/thousands turn up. In a utopia that some people seem to think we live in world where authorities can arrest thousands at once or people listen to every word a police officer says. People dont. Police are there to keep the peace and need to use their own discretion. Arresting someone that potentially causes hundreds to then kick off.

I've said it elsewhere. Football is a little ray of light people have. This weekend was a release of emotion people celebrating with like minded people.

The government are bricking it because they can see people now getting fed up with the restrictions and I predict with the weather picking up we will see more scenes like Saturday and Sunday

The club should put out a timeline of events and all advice given by the police and government and show them up for what they really are.

Source : A good mate in the Police who was on duty at Ibrox on Saturday and apparently has had sight
of a couple of the incident reports over the weekend.

Rangers security raised the possibility of supporter gatherings several weeks ago if/when 55 came about with Police and local politicians. Little response was initially forthcoming however very recent suggestions saying nothing of note would be necessary until 21/3 at the earliest and there would be a big plan in place if this date was pivotal. Hence despite Rangers requests they were given no guidance as to any form or PR or other means of communicating with fans. SG did touch briefly on following covid guidance in a press conference but this was coincidental

Both the Police AND the Club were caught short by numbers gathering at Ibrox prior to SM match, estimates were 500 tops and expectations were most would depart prior to KO to go home and watch the game on RTV. As the day progressed it was clear that those outside the ground were not for moving and estimated actual numbers were around 2500-3000 at full time. Given these numbers containment was the only appropriate and achievable response. Officers were instructed NOT to arrest nor detain those present for pyro or street drinking or Covid offences as this would have an effect on the numbers of officers present.

A quick meeting with Rangers security and a Police Inspector on duty came to an AGREED conclusion that some brief Socially Distanced interaction between the players and fans may effectively "give the fans what they want to see" and hasten their departure, hence the players going to the Copland gates after the match and then out the dressing room windows was actually encouraged to a large extent. This similar tactic was also asked of the players at Auchenhowie yesterday afternoon to achieve a similar purpose.

The Police statement this evening was not the forces intention but more or less came straight from Humza's office today and the Officer who put his name to it basically had no choice but apparently hes fuucking mad at having to do this as he feels it will undermine existing good relations between Police and the club (including intervention advice) but the Snatzis gave him no wiggle room.

No reason to doubt this guy and theres a lot of very unhappy coppers in Glasgow just now as to how this whole thing has been played out.

Make of this what you will.

Asked him about George Sq but wasn't working then and none the wiser as to the finer detail

Doesn't surprise me to read this one single bit. That police statement had a certain politicians hands all over it.

The coward should've had the balls to put his own name to it.

If you put your name to a statement you stand by it otherwise you refuse to do it.

I’ve sat back and read many of the threads, anyone who’s read my post before, knows my Mantra, “Get up of your arse and vote strategically”. However now the Natsi Party has Gerry Mandered the vote including Sixteen year olds. Sorry and I include what kind of Scuby, does a sixteen year old know about politics, except through social media, even more important now to vote.

100% politicised by the Scottish Gov to deflect from their own failings.

I hope the club don’t back down an inch.

Hope they are better prepared for when the league trophy gets handed over, or a Scottish Cup final win, or when we are all at Glasgow Airport welcoming the Europa League winners back into the country...
An excellent post - the DCC who had a go at us yesterday, instead of dog whistle politics at the behest of his political masters he should be asking why since coming to power in 2007 they have decimated the service including:

Merger into single force which resulted in a significant rise in costs via VAT.
Answering to a Justice Secretary who has no legal training or background.
A Justice Secretary (Michael Matheson) requesting that officers arrest people for singing a children's song.

Humza's first reaction was to take to Twitter.
Trying to bring UEFA into it.

By Monday, Swinney is on his high horse - yet was silent on the fireworks in Perth. Even though he wished St Johnstone well - and congratulated them. Local-ish MSP and all that.

The police statement was almost a copy and paste of what Swinney was saying - but after Swinney said it. My first reaction was "Police politicised".

Rangers statement says talks were ongoing for weeks - and the Justice Minister was involved............Humza!

Nobody has denied this - Humza must have forgot.

January peaked at 7 day average of 57k new COVID cases per day. Now around 6k.

The question should be why we are prisoners in our own home still.

Last edited:
Did the government or the police issue any statements before the weekend, asking people not to gather? At least our manager twice asked the fans to obey the restrictions, keep safe and stay at home.

Until the Natz came into power, the Police had to be politically neutral.
They are mostly and have had to remind the government of that during the pandemic too.

The real problem is not necessarily political neutrality, but operational independence. When the politicians start to dictate what tactics the police should use and against which sectors of society whether that be certain protest groups or football supporters, then it becomes of serious concern.

Source : A good mate in the Police who was on duty at Ibrox on Saturday and apparently has had sight
of a couple of the incident reports over the weekend.

Rangers security raised the possibility of supporter gatherings several weeks ago if/when 55 came about with Police and local politicians. Little response was initially forthcoming however very recent suggestions saying nothing of note would be necessary until 21/3 at the earliest and there would be a big plan in place if this date was pivotal. Hence despite Rangers requests they were given no guidance as to any form or PR or other means of communicating with fans. SG did touch briefly on following covid guidance in a press conference but this was coincidental

Both the Police AND the Club were caught short by numbers gathering at Ibrox prior to SM match, estimates were 500 tops and expectations were most would depart prior to KO to go home and watch the game on RTV. As the day progressed it was clear that those outside the ground were not for moving and estimated actual numbers were around 2500-3000 at full time. Given these numbers containment was the only appropriate and achievable response. Officers were instructed NOT to arrest nor detain those present for pyro or street drinking or Covid offences as this would have an effect on the numbers of officers present.

The Police statement this evening was not the forces intention but more or less came straight from Humza's office today and the Officer who put his name to it basically had no choice but apparently hes fuucking mad at having to do this as he feels it will undermine existing good relations between Police and the club (including intervention advice) but the Snatzis gave him no wiggle room.

No reason to doubt this guy and theres a lot of very unhappy coppers in Glasgow just now as to how this whole thing has been played out.

Make of this what you will.

Asked him about George Sq but wasn't working then and none the wiser as to the finer detail
very interesting read, I for one believe every word. with an election coming up in May i think the snatzies are doing everything to appease their republican support

See I could believe all that but I don't believe any of it.

The final whistle had barely blown and the players were over to the fans, no way a police commander has gave message to the club and then that's got to Gerrard and then the players imo
The whistle blew and they were almost instinctively off
They could have been instructed at half time.

Back