Today's press conference - Charles Peterson

I love the way they try to treat him the exact same way they did Pedro, Gerrard shoots them right down.

Yes hypocrisy rules the Scottish press waves and the double standard reigns once more supreme.

However, we can control the narrative in this matter, we have the power to do so, and we do need to clean up our act.
Yes, we know it is as clean if not already cleaner than most other clubs and I recognise that we have made huge progress in this regard and more importantly our actual behaviour is, given the size of our support, often exemplary.
However, we know the songs that do the damage, and we simply have to eradicate them.

I am not taking a moral tone here, I have probably belted out in my time everything in our huge songbook, however, the world moves on and we cannot ignore this.

This isn't a collective responsibility, this is an individual one, this rests with each single Rangers supporter and it is for the individual to take responsibility.
Are you as an individual so selfish that you don't care for the reputation of the club you love, are you so selfish that you don't care for Steven Gerrard our manager or for our players or for your fellow supporters?

If each of us on our own can take this responsibility and address it properly, then the club won't have to answer these questions to these hypocritical scum reporters, and wankers like Jim White won't be given a platform to polish his own personally tarred image at our expense.

We can take control of this issue, it is down to us.

Good post but how do we get the message out to ALL of our supporters? We cant just wait on the message filtering through plus there are some songs that are in a 'grey' area such as Build My Gallows. Apparently this was the song that got us in trouble in europe but who knows?

If anyone in the media was genuinely interested in getting down to the nitty gritty of the issue that Charles touches on then there is a discussion there to be had. But they aren't and never have been. And raising the issue with the manager in such a way shows that. Sensationalism is all they are ever after.

Even going by the often used, although wrong, MoJo timeline, we have had many catholic managers, players and heroes over the past three decades.

More importantly, we have of course also faced many catholic opponents, managers and players who we didn't slag off in similar vein. Why not?

The answer is really very simple for anyone willing to do the math.

Unfortunately, the club, since the Murray days has also played its part in avoiding the nitty-gritty and giving the correct answer to the media.

19th Century Terrorist ≠ catholic

Good post but how do we get the message out to ALL of our supporters? We cant just wait on the message filtering through plus there are some songs that are in a 'grey' area such as Build My Gallows. Apparently this was the song that got us in trouble in europe but who knows?

Id actually typed out a huge long winded reply to this and then thought “ what’s the point “.

Put simply we are almost there in terms of eradicating sectarian songs/shouts at Ibrox , quite a bit to go in terms of travelling fans.

For the most part our fans are much better behaved than the likes of Aberdeen , Celtic , hibs to give some examples . But our ongoing obsession from a vocal few about 19th Century Terrorist/pope/bobby sands/Ira holds us back from being able to say we are there yet .

Don’t give them the chance to do us down , get with the times and then we can watch them get hit with fines/points deductions /stand closures once strict liability comes in , without fear of them using us as an “ example “.

I’m not on some moral standpoint here , 20 years ago I sung every song going . I just believe we need to move with the times and enjoy the positive aspects of our club, history, tradition .

Think smart bears - we are not far away . They are - the green brigade and sheep fans are uncontrollable .

Who researches the religious background of our managers?
I don't, I am sure you don't.
It isn't an issue for our support, however, clearly, it is an altar of worship for many elements of the press.
Some of them only start to write when they are discussing this subject and it is obvious that many of them have no real enthusiasm for the game itself.
I would completely agree with you. Just someone said we would only have had one Catholic Manager . I could not care less what a Manager ,Player,Director or fans background is as long as they want the best for us that is all I am concerned about .

Back