Today's Scottish Football Podcast (the SFA Arbitration)

jaws73

Official Ticketer
Worth a listen.

There was a decent insight into the process by the Chairman of the Scottish Arbitration Centre.

A couple of interesting things said in the course of discussion:

One club's CEO is contemplating suing another club's CEO.

One club's Chairman is actively trying to prevent the Chairman of another club getting on the SPFL Board.

A Chairman of one club has been called to give witness testimony ahead of the Arbitration - says he has grave concerns for his club if Hearts succeed in getting compensation (he refused to appear on the podcast).

Thanks. I'll have a listen later on, got a bit of a drive.
Sounds like civil war.

Threatening

One club's Chairman is actively trying to prevent the Chairman of another club getting on the SPFL Board.

Bullying

A Chairman of one club has been called to give witness testimony ahead of the Arbitration - says he has grave concerns for his club if Hearts succeed in getting compensation (he refused to appear on the podcast).

Liewell :) ?

See all these clubs moaning about money etc. Maybe someone should point out to them that 81% of clubs voted for this.

I can guarantee that most of the clubs moaning about money now all voted to end the season. It was clearly noted in the SPFLs brochure on voting that relegated clubs could and would likely take legal action. All from the SPFLs QC as well.

Could that be us with Liewell? Or do they mean getting on the arbitration panel?

I still reckon that the SPFL will settle and pay off Hearts and Thistle to avoid the arbitration process. They do not want the crookery they've been up to revealed by the documents due to be presented.
surely any pay off will come from money belonging to the clubs and will have to be voted on (i know)

surely any pay off will come from money belonging to the clubs and will have to be voted on (i know)
And if anyone voted against it and was forced to hand over cash due to them, then they will have a case for compensation.
Unless ra sellik are paying out on their own.

Third point. He may have grave concerns about his club but the law and the rules of governance and accountability should be above his grave concerns

Exactly. A man who has no money goes out and steals food to feed his kids rather than get a job. He may have grave concerns about his starving children but turning to criminality isnt the way to do it.

Gollum negative on Hearts shock..

Gollum more or less telling Hearts to obey SPFL rules and to " move on. " What a surprise ? :rolleyes: More interestingly for me was Kenny MacIntyre's questions on the alleged misleading of clubs by the SPFL and can that be taken further if proven to be true ? What was he alluding to, possible criminal investigation into the SPFL ? Let's face it, there were possible tens of millions at stake for CL money up for grabs when ending the season early ?

Gollum more or less telling Hearts to obey SPFL rules and to " move on. " What a surprise ? :rolleyes: More interestingly for me was Kenny MacIntyre's questions on the alleged misleading of clubs by the SPFL and can that be taken further if proven to be true ? What was he alluding to, possible criminal investigation into the SPFL ? Let's face it, there were possible tens of millions at stake for CL money up for grabs when ending the season early ?

Good to see more bears standing up nowadays ;)

The lawyer on the podcast said that any documentary evidence, texts, etc, will be kept private and confidential at this arbitration, unless extraordinary ? Did I hear that correctly ? If possible fraud or collusion is proven, I hope Rangers demand a criminal investigation.

That's why Hearts & Thistle probably wanted it in court, as it all would've been made public BP.

I cant help thinking that our much criticised dossier might be proven spot on when it all
comes out mate.

Might allow the club to have a wee naughty wind up of a certain chairman of ill repute ?

If we've been cheated out of even the slim chance of winning the League due to SPFL corruption, then Rangers should not only be demanding sackings but criminal charges imposed on those responsible.

I suspect the SPFL will cave and offer a settlement to Hearts and Thistle. Those in charge do not want any of the issues to be placed in the public domain because of the embarrassment it will cause. Also, if that happened then resignations of office-bearers would be inevitable. It could take £3M for Hearts and £1M for Thistle to back off. In turn, that might create issues as this would reduce the pot to be shared by all 42 clubs.

If we've been cheated out of even the slim chance of winning the League due to SPFL corruption, then Rangers should not only be demanding sackings but criminal charges imposed on those responsible.

It's quite incredible though, how the SMSM are totally silent on this, despite that Moynihan QC
accepting last week that the Dundee vote WAS accepted at 4.48 & that Doncaster had
misled clubs.

Truly disgusting mate ;)

I suspect the SPFL will cave and offer a settlement to Hearts and Thistle. Those in charge do not want any of the issues to be placed in the public domain because of the embarrassment it will cause. Also, if that happened then resignations of office-bearers would be inevitable. It could take £3M for Hearts and £1M for Thistle to back off. In turn, that might create issues as this would reduce the pot to be shared by all 42 clubs.

If it was on that basis that the three of them lost their jobs then our portion would be
worth paying NS.

Worth a listen.

There was a decent insight into the process by the Chairman of the Scottish Arbitration Centre.

A couple of interesting things said in the course of discussion:

Thanks mate. Will give it a listen.

fNdi3lg.gif

Can the SPFL make such a decision without consulting the clubs? At that point, surely the executive must be relieved of their duties. I'm astounded that the clubs appear to have confidence in Doncaster.

I'm a little surprised the full fixture list was issued. They could have kept Hearts in the Premiership and had a 13-team division for this season. Not ideal but a little better than the current shambles.

Can the SPFL make such a decision without consulting the clubs? At that point, surely the executive must be relieved of their duties. I'm astounded that the clubs appear to have confidence in Doncaster.

I'm a little surprised the full fixture list was issued. They could have kept Hearts in the Premiership and had a 13-team division for this season. Not ideal but a little better than the current shambles.

They keep saying the clubs vote everything through, so surely when they go to the clubs &
say 'we want you to spend 4m' or whatever, these tight arses bank balances will be directly
hit & might then want blood for it ?

That's my hope anyway.

I cant help thinking that our much criticised dossier might be proven spot on when it all
comes out mate.

Might allow the club to have a wee naughty wind up of a certain chairman of ill repute ?

I've been supportive of our silence in recent weeks. I would hope, though, that once the matter is settled, we do issue a statement highlighting a few of the points we made in the dossier. Not so embarrassing now...

The SPFL are already looking to give themselves more power, without the need for pesky voting from member clubs

Gollum has completely misunderstood the judges decision. He seems to think that because the judge sent it back for arbitration as it was in the rules this somehow means that they will have to get relegated because that's in the rules too. He's a moron. This is his job too.

Gollum kept trying to deflect the conversation away from the SPFL's scandalous behaviour. " In 6 months, this will all be a footnote. "

The lawyer on the podcast said that any documentary evidence, texts, etc, will be kept private and confidential at this arbitration, unless extraordinary ? Did I hear that correctly ? If possible fraud or collusion is proven, I hope Rangers demand a criminal investigation.
Which crime would you like investigated?

The fact that the Chairman of one club has grave concerns for the future of his club should Hearts succeed in getting compensation should be of no relevance to the Arbitration process and his testimony an irrelevance.

The Arbitration process is to decide the legality of the process leading to Hearts, Partick and Stranraer being relegated and ultimately the legality of that relegation. As such the impact on others is not relevant.

Importantly Hearts are not actually claiming compensation. Their claim is that the relegation is illegal and, as such, that they should be reinstated. If they win they stay in the league they were in and the promoted teams do likewise and, sadly for them, miss out on promotion. They didn't, however, win promotion so technically would lose nothing.

Hearts and Partick's £10m is the amount relegation will cost them and if the Arbitration goes in their favour and the SPFL don't want to tell the previously promoted clubs that they got it wrong then that's the compensation the league would need to pay for Hearts and Partick to accept relegation despite the Arbitration going their way.

Notwithstanding that none of the others had any grave concerns about the impact their vote would have on the relegated clubs and were probably just glad it wasn't them. Compensation (rightly or wrongly) spreads the cost among 42 clubs as opposed to 3 clubs bearing the brunt.

Ideal scenario - Arbitration finds in Hearts and Particks favour, there is no promotion and no relegation and no requirement for compensation for anyone. The SPFL may, as other countries have done, make a nominal compensation payment to clubs that have missed out on the opportunity to win promotion through the league or the playoffs.

I'm also fairly certain that the panel conducting the Arbitration, despite what people have alluded to, do not have authority to force reconstruction. They may make a recommendation to that effect but I would assume that they would want to avoid that as that brings further complications. Can it be organised and fixtures agreed in time, is it permanent or temporary, if temporary how do you get back to the original format, how do you decide what the structure will be and how do you decide which teams go up from those in the playoff places? Don't think they'll want involved in that at all and it's not part of their remit.

Last edited:

Ive posted before that they will simply deduct any compo from the prize pot and put it down to ‘expenses’. Doncaster himself virtually confirmed as much recently. Might even have been yesterday or today.

He said: "The league is the clubs. We don't hold any reserves.

"All of the money that comes into the league each year gets distributed among the 42 members so whatever expense, from this litigation or otherwise, will be borne by all 42 clubs.”

Back