Tom Beahon: Castore Update

Reminds me of Joey in Friends who doesn't know how to use the quotation marks haha
tenor.gif

Considering the shit shows we've had to put through over the last few years I dont think we can have that many complaints on quality or delays. Especially considering the figures banded about we are due to make.

There are always going to be teething problems & you'd expect this would be Castore's biggest roll out to date.

Just been sent an email from Castore apologising for my order not arriving. They’ve had major issues with merchandise being damaged at courier level. They’ve offered me a £25 evoucher to use in store or online. Also been offered a full refund
Just had the same one.

He’s already done an interview with Heart & Hand on this subject. He’s estimated we will earn £6m-8m a season from the deal. We receive a £3m advance at the start of every season and a cut of the royalties once Castore make that initial payment back.

I know but I’d like more detail on the cut we receive. I don’t know what sales figures the £6m-£8m is based on. I don’t think he set that out.

Remember the old days when the standard Terms & Conditions stated up to 28 days from the date of sale for delivery? :)

People would have the shooters out now if that was still the case.
In the old days preorder meant you got it before general sale the lack of communication from Castore is unacceptable customer service.

In the old days preorder meant you got it before general sale the lack of communication from Castore is unacceptable customer service.

Lack of communication is poor but preorder has always meant guaranteed purchase.

It’s also no longer ‘the old days.’

I do not get it man. We've been unable to properly buy strips for years and now people need to wait an extra few days they're losing their minds. Its so sad, and hilarious, to watch these people greetin' on a forum about it.

I don't have an issue having to wait & if there is problems getting the kit out, especially if turns out some cardboard cutter wielding yahoos have been unable to contain themselves at some delivery depot !!

My issue is the complete lack of communication since my initial order. Over £200 worth of orders for my kids and no indication if they've been sent out, if they are with the courier, if there is a delay due to the sheer numbers, or if the packages have been damaged etc.

There was no issue taking the payment from my end, that was paid out to Castore on the 1st July. All I'm asking is for some sort of communication as to what's happened to my order.

EDIT - That's me just got an email in from Castore ....... giving me the great news that Thorbjorn Olsen is the newest member of the Castore team. Fucking whoop !!! :))

We all have different taste I suppose. In my humble opinion i think all the tops released to date are excellent. In particular the white way one. It's understated but very smart. The colour and design make it more than just a white top.
I haven't ordered online as I wanted to take the wee man into the megastore come the time to get us both kitted out and make an experience of it. I understand when you pay for money for goods you have the right to expect to be informed and arrive on time. But when folk are moaning over a top being a few days late it really shows what a pampered world we live in and how we are accustomed to having everything right away without delay. We all know the demand for our clubs strips every year and with a relatively unknown brand there was going to be teething problems. Just relax a little and I'm sure they will get back to you soon enough when they've caught up on the massive backlog that they will have.

Not for a lot of people, we haven't had a dispatch email or anything from Castore.
I didn’t get a dispatch email either, mines arrived Monday.

I got 2 messages from Hermes saying it was out for delivery then 10 mins later it had been delivered. Literally 30 mins before that it said it was at the national hub.

What would you have asked him if you had the change.

Within reason and without the Glasgow hardman know it all edges. :)

I think he speaks very well.

I loved the bit about them going to the pub in Liverpool, to watch the Aberdeen game, and not being the only Rangers fans in there.

I'm not sure if he could answer the question at this stage but I would have asked "I liked the Rangers branded packaging but have you heard about the reported 2000 damaged items in the Hermes delivery chain? If so, what do Castore intend to do about this in future?"

This certainly is not a dig at Castore. I don't see why they should have to send products out in generic bags.

They pay Hermes to deliver a large amount of products in good condition. Put the ball firmly in their court.

I think Tom speaks well, and when you hear of chartered planes etc then maybe we (myself included) need to have a word with ourselves about complaining at a football strip being 3 or 4 days late.

I suppose, it just goes to show what getting our hands on Rangers gear means to us all.

The last question I would ask is "Where is the Hagi strip for order 4292?".

I think some people need to cool the jets. Its just a football top and you will all get them.

I get there are some issues with it, and I am sure they will be resolved.

What Castore need to do though is address and own any issues. Even if its just the issues with Hermes. Even if the problems are small, name them all and explain how they are going to address them in future.

They are giving us a load of cash up front, but we need to be sensible, its on the basis that they will make a shit load of cash from us. Its great to have a supplier that we can trust and they need to build on that.

I think he speaks very well.

I loved the bit about them going to the pub in Liverpool, to watch the Aberdeen game, and not being the only Rangers fans in there.

I'm not sure if he could answer the question at this stage but I would have asked "I liked the Rangers branded packaging but have you heard about the reported 2000 damaged items in the Hermes delivery chain? If so, what do Castore intend to do about this in future?"

This certainly is not a dig at Castore. I don't see why they should have to send products out in generic bags.

They pay Hermes to deliver a large amount of products in good condition. Put the ball firmly in their court.

I think Tom speaks well, and when you hear of chartered planes etc then maybe we (myself included) need to have a word with ourselves about complaining at a football strip being 3 or 4 days late.

I suppose, it just goes to show what getting on our hands on Rangers gear means to us all.

The last question I would ask is "Where is the Hagi strip for order 4292?".
I agree, call it naive if you wish but i have no qualms with them doing this. I liked the packaging and don't see why we should need to be reactive to jumped up jakeys. Perhaps a learning curve but i won't hold it against them, i'd much prefer rangers packaging.

I didn’t get a dispatch email either, mines arrived Monday.

I got 2 messages from Hermes saying it was out for delivery then 10 mins later it had been delivered. Literally 30 mins before that it said it was at the national hub.

Did your Hermes message just come out the blue?

Not particularly pleased at this stage. Ordered my wee lads full kit on the launch day a month or so ago and had nothing since. Not even a generic email to apologise for the fact I could have bought it four days ago in sports direct

I would rather wait a month for Rangers gear than put 1 penny in that fat slug’s pocket, however I do feel your frustration that you have with waiting for it for your wee one, hope it arrives soon and puts a massive smile on his face, which I’m sure it will.

I agree, call it naive if you wish but i have no qualms with them doing this. I liked the packaging and don't see why we should need to be reactive to jumped up jakeys. Perhaps a learning curve but i won't hold it against them, i'd much prefer Rangers packaging.

Me too.

I am not a businessman by any means but maybe they could write it into the Hermes (or whoevers) contract that the courier company are liable for any vandalism to packages.

We should not be modifying perfectly reasonable practises of posting Rangers kits in Rangers packaging.

This is the worst comparison I've ever seen made. What are you even trying to say here?

Sixty quid for a top is expensive. It should be good quality.

The excuse that I had to make another 49,999 so I didn't have enough time to make yours to the sufficient level of quality just doesn't cut it.

Considering the shit shows we've had to put through over the last few years I dont think we can have that many complaints on quality or delays. Especially considering the figures banded about we are due to make.

There are always going to be teething problems & you'd expect this would be Castore's biggest roll out to date.

Plus we are still in the middle of a global pandemic.

I don't have my kit yet either. However, the issue is with Hermes constantly shifting the goal posts on when they are going to deliver it. How many times have you emailed? Do you think you're the only person who has emailed them, or do you think perhaps they are incredibly busy atm and will reply when they can? There was always going to be teething problems due to the size of our support and them being a relatively small/inexperienced supplier, but we should cut them some slack.

Edit: just as I've sent this I've got an email saying it'll be here today lol

2 emails and a DM over Instagram. No word yet. Been with Hermes hub since Saturday evening. I’m guessing there’s a chance my gear has been slashed to %^*& by a bigot

I doubt there are ignoring it. More than likely surprised by the toxic element of online responses.

I think some need a little perspective in their lives.
I think one area they are probably struggling (and have a genuine reason) is that they are a relatively small operation and they answer communications personally so the sheer volume is going to be flooding their computers at a time when it's all hands to the pump trying to get stuff out the door, open the shops and co-ordinate the rest of the product launches.

Some people ranting without actually listening to the interview.
The interview was on Monday.
States legally they were not allowed to send kits out until 1st August due to contract of previous partner.
Being a Saturday and Courier does not deliver on Sunday, Hermes would only begin delivery/ damage on Monday, depending on what area it was going to then delivery thereafter would be different.
At time of interview he is unaware of problems.
Mentions toddler kits requiring extra safety controls but it’s been done, also COVID causing some problems regarding delivery of goods from factory to distribution warehouse as commercial flights were full.
He is also aware and admitted that the response to buy kits has taken Castore to another level, expected it for home kit but away has outstripped his expectations.

Now I hope everybody gets their orders, but it’s not normal times for various reasons.

There was always going to be teething problems due to the size of our support and them being a relatively small/inexperienced supplier, but we should cut them some slack.
This. I think they knew Rangers were a big fish and thought they can handle it. Now they have realised how Big a Fish we are.
Also keep in mind how many strips we have sold over the past few seasons when Ashley was involved. It was only and educated guesstimate how many we could sell Ashley totally free. I think we have outstripped that guess. Then we have to add the Hermes debacle.

He who waits for something good never waits too long.

Absolute shambles to date.
Bland kits coupled with shocking levels of service.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion however I would take a “bland” kit any day over some of the howling efforts out there at the moment. I think strips in a simple classic style look better.

If you look at the recent launch of strips in the premiership, Man United is horrible where as Liverpool looks clean and classic. Making “jazzy” strips to appeal to a younger market to cater for the Instagram “look at me” crowd pretty much sums up what is wrong with that generation.

I think some people need to cool the jets. Its just a football top and you will all get them.

I get there are some issues with it, and I am sure they will be resolved.

What Castore need to do though is address and own any issues. Even if its just the issues with Hermes. Even if the problems are small, name them all and explain how they are going to address them in future.

They are giving us a load of cash up front, but we need to be sensible, its on the basis that they will make a shit load of cash from us. Its great to have a supplier that we can trust and they need to build on that.
Yup, this.

As for owning the situation with the delays etc it seems that folk, myself included, have had emails this am with an apology for the delay and notice that we're being sent a £25 voucher and having the postage cost refunded. I, personally, hadn't contacted them to complain because I have been happy to wait so I'd say that's a pretty good response from Castore to try and rectify the issues.

Once I'm sure of the sizing that voucher will be getting spent on the away top :)

Hermes are the issue here. How folk cannot understand that is beyond me.

While I definitely agree, there have been folk (myself included) who bought the away jersey on Saturday and chose Royal Mail as their desired delivery service, only to receive notification that their parcel is with Hermes. That's an issue before it even gets to being a Hermes cock up. I chose Royal Mail because I wouldn't trust Hermes to deliver a poke of chips never mind a £60 off quid jersey.

Mine has been sent all round the country by the sounds of it. Obviously a tim sent it on a wild goose chase.

Haven't heard from castore but will send them an email and be happy to accept a discount and hope next time issues are resolved

The home strip is extremely similar to last years, I understand it’s a standard royal blue kit therefore the only variables are really the collar and the cuffs. Both of which are near identical to last seasons Hummel. When you are buying every season for kids you at least want to be buying something a bit different. The away is just a plain white strip, I do not understand the levels of excitement. I was just expecting a bit more.

You'll get more with the orange and black third shirt.

Exactly. They are useless as are yodel. Should have stuck with RM and used DPD who are excellent
Too true. Some courier companies have been terrible for years and get no better. Always felt more comfortable knowing something sent by RM was the property of Her Glorious Britannic Majesty until it was delivered to me. I still know they have had issues too previously. Stories of damage etc too wide spread now for it not to have been a co-ordinated action by some to embarrass all connected to the club. Castore should maybe audit the level of issues with each delivery option they have used and very publicly out the bad performers and where they fell down.

What would you have asked him if you had the change.

Within reason and without the Glasgow hardman know it all edges. :)
Couple of things if you get the chance to ask them.

Why are certain replicas not replicas, e.g. toddlers kits are completely different design, training wear has badges in different locations from players versions.

Can't we get some decent training gear not ruined by the sponsors logos everywhere? There are some gorgeous pieces of kits absolutely ruined with Unibet branding.

They are going to have demand issues. More a suggestion than a question but would a newsletter or faq or some sort of update on various issues on the website take the edge off some of the communciation issues so folk aren't waiting on an individual response to a shared question. So, e.g. what is happening with damaged kits, update on how many are shipped/ still to ship, anticipated dates for additional product lines, etc.

Will they add the ability to add RFC customisation to their own premium lines - think that would really make a significant sales boost, especially if the "Hagi hoodie" was a customised version of one of their existing lines. I've never felt the need to spend Castore £ on sports gear but I would be tempted if it had some subtle Rangers id embroidered on.

Me too.

I am not a businessman by any means but maybe they could write it into the Hermes (or whoevers) contract that the courier company are liable for any vandalism to packages.

We should not be modifying perfectly reasonable practises of posting Rangers kits in Rangers packaging.
They are - that's standard in the T&Cs with any carrier. Or at least you claim against their insurance.

Unfortunately whether Hermes accept liability or not won't allow Castore to magic replacements out of thin air when all of the stock they have is already committed.

Sixty quid for a top is expensive. It should be good quality.

The excuse that I had to make another 49,999 so I didn't have enough time to make yours to the sufficient level of quality just doesn't cut it.
Come on. . It happens with everything that anyone manufactures. Be it cars, TV's, trainers. There is and always will be a level of quality fallout.
You measure that quality fallout against the volume shipped. It will never be 100% perfect. Nobody expects 100%. You'll be looking at 0.2% or thereabouts with a quality issue of some description.
Your just one of the unlucky 0.2% unfortunately.

Back