Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennett plead guilty to drink-driving

Davie Weir

Derby County footballers Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennett have pleaded guilty to drink-driving.
The pair were over the limit when their cars crashed on the A6 near Allestree in Derby after a team-building dinner.
At the city's magistrates' court they also admitted failing to stop at the scene of the crash on 24 September.
Lawrence and Bennett were ordered to carry out 180 hours of unpaid work, given a 12-month community order and banned from driving for two years.
Marianne Connally, prosecuting, said the players were driving home at about 23:30 BST after a night out at the Joiner's Arms pub.
Lawrence's car smashed into the back of Bennett's, before continuing across a roundabout and crashing into "street furniture", she added.
Image copyrightDERBYSHIRE POLICEImage captionThe club said the pair had been fined the maximum their contracts would allow
Ms Connally said a paramedic crew witnessed the crash "entirely by chance" and came to the aid of two passengers at the scene as the defendants fled.
Lawrence and Bennett, 23, returned to the scene about 45 minutes later and were arrested.
Derby captain Richard Keogh, who was a passenger in one of the cars, sustained a knee injury that has ruled him out for up to 15 months.
The court heard Welsh international Lawrence, 25, gave a breath test reading of 58mcg per 100ml and Bennett a reading of 64. The legal limit is 35mcg per 100ml.
Lucy Whitaker, defending Bennett, said he had been sick at the pub after being "pressured" to drink a Jagerbomb shot by team-mates.
He admitted he had drunk "some alcohol" on the night, but was driving "perfectly normally" on the way home when the crash occurred, Ms Bennett said.
'Extreme regret'
Bennett "panicked" and then left the scene, before returning after he received a call from Lawrence, the court heard.
Shaun Draycott, defending Lawrence, said references - including from Wales manager Ryan Giggs - suggested he was a "decent young man who behaved out of character".
Mr Draycott said Lawrence had become "quite dependent" on alcohol since the death of his mother, to whom he was very close.
Lawrence had made a "gross error of judgement" which is a "matter of extreme regret", he added.
Image copyrightPA MEDIAImage captionRichard Keogh has been ruled out for 15 months due to an injury sustained in the crash
Lawrence, of Duffield, and Bennett, of Whaley Thorns near Mansfield, were fined six weeks' wages by the club after the crash.
Derby County also condemned the players for bringing the club into disrepute following the "alcohol-related incident".
Lawrence signed for Derby from Leicester City for £5m in August 2017, while Bennett came through the Rams' youth system.

"Lawrence had became dependant on alcohol since the death of his mother. "

If that's the case then it's a damn shame and he should be getting the support that he needs from the club while being kept away from the first team until he gets himself sorted.

Or maybe it's just a smokescreen to get a more lenient sentence, sounds bad maybe but I'm a cynic.

'Shaun Draycott, defending Lawrence, said references - including from Wales manager Ryan Giggs - suggested he was a "decent young man who behaved out of character". '

'Your Honour, a man who was shagging his brother's wife thinks my client is a decent young man. If you wish I can read the glowing reference from former Wales International and drink driver Dean Saunders.'

A pair of complete tossers. Very fortunate nobody was killed.

As for this, had some booze, was sick but was driving perfectly normally - %^*& off

5hGU28D.gif

"Lawrence had became dependant on alcohol since the death of his mother. "

If that's the case then it's a damn shame and he should be getting the support that he needs from the club while being kept away from the first team until he gets himself sorted.

Or maybe it's just a smokescreen to get a more lenient sentence, sounds bad maybe but I'm a cynic.

There‘s a good article in the athletic re the case and it turns out Lawrence has been receiving support from the club since the death of his mother back in May so it’s not a smokescreen.

There‘s a good article in the athletic re the case and it turns out Lawrence has been receiving support from the club since the death of his mother back in May so it’s not a smokescreen.
Fair enough. Not to say that some wouldn't play on that sort of thing but that's a shame for the guy. Regardless it still doesn't excuse drink driving.

Injured Richard Keogh the captain.He will be out for 18 months apparently
I'd say that's his career over, certainly with Derby. It's a real shame that he'll be remembered for this as opposed to captaining us at Wembley twice and all his years of excellent service.

Fines should be in relation to earnings otherwise what’s the point. There’s no deterrent to fine a football hundreds of pounds. 10000s maybe but that’s what I would make it

I'd say that's his career over, certainly with Derby. It's a real shame that he'll be remembered for this as opposed to captaining us at Wembley twice and all his years of excellent service.
Was excellent at Carlisle as well.Maybe end up back there

I stress that I don’t have these myself - but has anyone seen the pics allegedly of Keogh’s knee and some screenshots of a WhatsApp group message from the night of the accident?

The junction has been the scene of several fatalities over the years. They or more to the point someone going to Derby or Duffield were very lucky.

Back