Tom Miller tonight

Every game on RangersTV has the option of Live Audio. Under normal circumstances it’s just Tom’s commentary without the moving pictures. At the present time Tom still commentates on every RangersTV game, home and away, but for the home games the Live Video is Tyldesley (when available) commentating with the moving pictures but Tom still commentates for the Live Audio feed. So, basically, Tom is doing a radio commentary every game.

Ok, thanks. I guess that explains the constant talking. That would work great for the games when Clive is commentating too, but I don't think Tom should be doing both for the other games as audio only is different from video. Cheers.

I find his commentary okay he's a Bluenose who doesn't get carried away when it's their team.

Contrast that ad for Sky where that Moronic Bastard Tyler is screaming Shearer or Sala as goal footage plays through the advert.

Who wouldn't launch something at the television when it comes on.

Just be happy oor Toms not a screeching fuckwit

You are quite clearly listening to a different Tom Miller from the rest of us.

This idea he doesn’t do his homework on the opposition we are playing.last night he was rattling off which clubs some of the Willem players had played for previously.i think he’s really good in bringing KT into the commentary he’ll make an observation on the game he’s watching and say something along the lines “would I be right in suggesting that player a is playing a certain way”

He knows the oppostion players well, digs into when they last scored or had clean sheets etc. He gets players mixed up at times, but he is at Ibrox watching the game, and it's not on a 50" screen, so I let him off.

This idea he doesn’t do his homework on the opposition we are playing.last night he was rattling off which clubs some of the Willem players had played for previously.i think he’s really good in bringing KT into the commentary he’ll make an observation on the game he’s watching and say something along the lines “would I be right in suggesting that player a is playing a certain way”
I've seen first-hand the prep Tom does for games - including Colts games. Anyone suggesting he 'doesn't do his homework' is just making up shite.

That’s really scraping the barrel for a moan ffs.
Can you explain why it’s a decent bit of commentary? Or indeed why it isn’t a terrible bit of commentary? I don’t mind him as a guy and he’s harmless in the main but he just isn’t a very good commentator.

He comes away with some ridiculous comments. We’d just gone 3-0 up and Barisic coasted past their RB and he proclaimed that we were attacking against their ‘stubborn defence’. What part of a defence that’s 3-0 down at home in a one off Euro qualifier is stubborn?

I’d prefer it if Clive was on all matches but Thomson is always a great listen.

As long as we're clives third choice, I'd prefer someone who wants to be here and isn't just doing to it fill some free time.

Can you explain why it’s a decent bit of commentary? Or indeed why it isn’t a terrible bit of commentary? I don’t mind him as a guy and he’s harmless in the main but he just isn’t a very good commentator.

I never said it was good bad or indifferent tbh, it's a throwaway comment, not something to get too upset about. All commentators talk shite at times, I'd prefer this than saying kent scored loads of goals for the beggars!

Aribo against Braga. Morelos against Warsaw and his cringeworthy soapbox shite after we won at parkhead at new year to name but a few.

Excessively loud, high pitched screeching that is 90% nonsense.

Might love Rangers but he’s never a commentator in a million years.
Andy Little whooping and screaming is far, far worse than Tom v Legia

Not sure how "Morelos breaks the deadlock! Jones' delivery, Morelos with the header. 90 minutes on the clock, it's Rangers One Legia nil. Welcome to the party" ruins it but "Yaaaaass. Whooo. Ha ha ha, get in there, whoo ho ho" is expert analysis.

Maybe you could explain it.

I don’t really care for the RTV commentator being a Rangers fan personally. As long as they’re a good commentator. I’m a Rangers fan but I wouldn’t make a good commentator because of it.
I don't care much if they are a Rangers fan or not either. I would much prefer someone who has us as their first choice rather than just being a wee bit extra pocket money.

I don’t really care for the RTV commentator being a Rangers fan personally. As long as they’re a good commentator. I’m a Rangers fan but I wouldn’t make a good commentator because of it.
Exactly. I don’t see why some need someone screeching and getting over-excited when they’re supposed to be commentating. And the less said about his patter the better.

Exactly. I don’t see why some need someone screeching and getting over-excited when they’re supposed to be commentating. And the less said about his patter the better.

Aye, that never happens with 'mainstream' commentary

Morning Tom.

One of your examples is quite an exceptional circumstance and the other is a co-commentator (and also an exceptional circumstance)

I'm not Tom. My name's James. ;)

Funnily enough, some of the examples given (admittedly not by you) of Tom ruining 'iconic moments' would also fall into that category.

I don't care much if they are a Rangers fan or not either. I would much prefer someone who has us as their first choice rather than just being a wee bit extra pocket money.
In which case if you want a professional then you have to pay them sufficiently
If we can't afford that then we make do with what we have even though it is sub standard
But we shouldn't kid ourselves on that its not
Personally I'd pay 10 or 20% more to get a decent commentator but I appreciate others have different priorities for their cash

Andy Little whooping and screaming is far, far worse than Tom v Legia

Not sure how "Morelos breaks the deadlock! Jones' delivery, Morelos with the header. 90 minutes on the clock, it's Rangers One Legia nil. Welcome to the party" ruins it but "Yaaaaass. Whooo. Ha ha ha, get in there, whoo ho ho" is expert analysis.

Maybe you could explain it.

Andy Little isn’t a regular.

“MuRELOoOOs”

High pitched screeching.

Either got a commentators voice or you haven’t.

Nothing to explain I personally think he’s a rank rotten commentator and a lot of people agree with me.

Andy Little isn’t a regular.

“MuRELOoOOs”

High pitched screeching.

Either got a commentators voice or you haven’t.

Nothing to explain I personally think he’s a rank rotten commentator and a lot of people agree with me.
a lot of people who have listened to Tom for years on rtv don’t agree with your assessment.see to be honest I loved it when Tom did the “aribo,aribo,aribo” at his goal v braga but that just me i love his enthusiasm.

a lot of people who have listened to Tom for years on rtv don’t agree with your assessment.see to be honest I loved it when Tom did the “aribo,aribo,aribo” at his goal v braga but that just me i love his enthusiasm.

That’s it mate. Plenty will disagree with me that’s fine we’ve all got our opinions.

I love his enthusiasm just think his patter and voice make him a poor commentator

I remember in one of our games a few seasons ago Tom was talking about someone called Dirty Dingus Mcghee.

Still to this day have no idea wtf was going on.

Half the time he’s not got a clue what’s happening during the game. He was going on about Kent’s chance early in the game and mentioned the pass , the touch and how the defender done well. But never seemed to noticed it was offside , even when the free kick was given to them. Just one example of a few times he’s that busy talking he misses things. Also said Aberdeen were 3-0 down at sporting Lisbon. Mixing up the Motherwell scoreline.

Got to remember he's sitting in the press canopy on the Main Stand at Ibrox for these games

The reality is though, unless they’re a Rangers fan, they won’t care what the job is and will take anything going (whether than be us, Tims or something down south). It’s their job at the end of the day. I’ve no issue with Clive saying he’d do Celtic TV in the future or anything else for that matter. He’s currently on Rangers TV and does a great job when he is and that’s enough for me.

Never understood why folk don’t like him.
Because he makes comments like "look at your face, look to your laurels" and "we're back with a bang, we're coming after you" which end up biting us in the arse at the end of the season. It's cringe. It's not that I don't like him as a person it's more what he says.

I know it's not a universal opinion on here, but I've always liked Tom's commentary. OK he's a bit ott sometimes, but his love for the club is obvious.
Exactly this.
We moan when no bears get jobs and then moan to sack a bear because he isn't Sky sports level.
He's a gent and a bear. That'll do me.

Because he makes comments like "look at your face, look to your laurels" and "we're back with a bang, we're coming after you" which end up biting us in the arse at the end of the season. It's cringe. It's not that I don't like him as a person it's more what he says.

I would imagine the tim social media manager would be most gutted of all if we were to replace Tom. He's got some amount of engagement out of digging up his daft soundbites over the years.

Who cares man. It's a commentator, most of them will say stuff that you'll agree with, disagree with, annoy you, whatever. There are people who don't like Martin Tyler, who's pretty much been the top dog for about 30 years.
I've thought Tyldesley has been a bit shite on our games, and some of the stuff he's said would probably have people's backs up if Tom had said it.
In all honesty, I just don't care, and for what it's worth, I'd rather have a Rangers fan who's happy doing it than someone who isn't a Rangers man and is doing it as a profession. It doesn't impact whatsoever on my enjoyment of our games.

Everyone on occasion says something ridiculous - we all make mistakes.

That includes the top and best respected commentators and presenters some of whom are working off an autocue in the studio and still get it wrong. There are countless clips out there of them doing exactly that.

Is Tom immune from making mistakes, saying something stupid or going OTT on occasion?

No he's not but he is one of our own and better than some of the options we could have.

Remember it's not so long ago we were employing the wrong type in several key areas of our club and this undoubtedly impacted on the way our business and PR played out.

Things in so many areas are so much better these days but I'm sure there are still issues worth moaning about. Certainly more important things to concern ourselves with than Tom's commentary.

Trust me he has improved since I first started watching our games on rtv,it’s like everything else we all have different tastes

I'm not a fan of Tom's commentary but this is the perfect summation. At the end of the day, for me at least, it's not the most important thing to worry about.

If Tom is commentating on the game when we win the title again, I'm sure I'll watch and listen to it over and over and not care.

One thing I’d add is as mentioned above, his speech after our win at the piggery was cringeworthy and is constantly used by the mentally challengeds to laugh at us

Mentioning Brown, Griffiths etc, riddy.

Back