Tonight on BT Sport - Man U film

Winners don’t quit when they start winning. That’s kind of what Man U did. It’s sad when you heard Best talking about it, saying they felt they had achieved what they set out to and that was it. He was 21. They never replaced the likes of Charlton and Law.

We played and beat them at Old Trafford the season they were relegated. They were a poor lot that day (this of course was the infamous match already well covered on these boards).

Is it true that much of their association with RC Church and Ireland was Busby? You never know who to believe but I was told he was a devout RC and tried hard to make them an RC club.

Is it true that much of their association with RC Church and Ireland was Busby? You never know who to believe but I was told he was a devout RC and tried hard to make them an RC club.
I have seen it quoted that they, in 1902, almost changed their name to Manchester Celtic. No idea how much truth there is to the allegation?

It's probably less so now but in the late 80s, United were far from popular at Ibrox. Certain ditties were sung, let's leave it at that

Carol Vorderman states quite openly that she supports Manure because she is a romanist much like Cilla and Everton.

Man Utd and Liverpool are heavily connected with that mob which is probably why I’ve never liked either of them if truth be told.

I have seen it quoted that they, in 1902, almost changed their name to Manchester Celtic. No idea how much truth there is to the allegation?

I don't know about the 1902 thing but I remember watching some documentary or other about Man U. It said that the Manchester clubs never really fell along religious or sectarian lines the way they did in Glasgow and Liverpool. With Busby as manager Catholics in Manchester began leaning towards United more than previously but it was not a substantial change in allegiance. Others on here perhaps know more about it.

Back