Tony Blair - Backing a United British League(s)

Crouchy

Interesting enough article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-41201279

Can understand the stance. I certainly think more could and should have been done to introduce a British Cup to start with.

Appreciate we'd probably need to regionalise the bottom of the pyramid to make it remotely viable for part-time teams.

The problem being, there is little attraction for the EPL in bringing us to the table now. The ship has sailed sadly on that front.

Notice he said that a British football team would have been a step too far, I don't but if there had been a British league then FIFA would have demanded a British national team.

Perhaps Tony Blair would have been taken more seriously in this subject had he not spent his time in office sucking the boaby of The EU.

why would the top 5 in Epl vote for another cup to fill their season they have the little club of five and eager hangers on.

why would the top 5 in Epl vote for another cup to fill their season they have the little club of five and eager hangers on.

No need for another cup.

Merge the various Football League cups into one spectacle that would generate a bit more interest.

It's a tough sell, as of course it's attractive for us, but the EPL teams probably don't really see playing us as huge test or great interest.

Have no interest in anything Tony Blair has backed. He'd be better keeping his head down and saying nothing

%^*& sake. I agree with Tony Blair on something.

We're the same country, should have the same football league.

I also actually think a proper re-think of the game would be hugely prosperous and spread the wealth throughout again.

Regionalised tiered system leading to United top tiers (maybe all professional only)

Could be played on different days to the 'big' teams to help encourage fans to support more than one team or at least attend lower division matches.

Interesting enough article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-41201279

Can understand the stance. I certainly think more could and should have been done to introduce a British Cup to start with.

Appreciate we'd probably need to regionalise the bottom of the pyramid to make it remotely viable for part-time teams.

The problem being, there is little attraction for the EPL in bringing us to the table now. The ship has sailed sadly on that front.
He really is yesterday's man.
Given his obsession I'm just surprised he's not pushing for a European league.

I'm not a fan of Blair however it's a pity a British League is not now in place. Imagine Rangers playing Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal etc rather than Ross County, Patrick Thistle etc. Even now if we somehow got into the Championship we would be playing Leeds, Notts Forest and other biggish clubs. As per Cardiff, Swansea the national team would be retained (see how better Wales are these days compared to Scotland). European football would be sacrificed but look where we are now with no real Scottish club left in any of the competitions. A British league would lead to regional leagues with those clubs good enough entering the main a level for the best clubs. Oh and I wonder how our EBT issue would have been treated if the Scottish witch hunt had not been in place? I suggest we would not have had the same hatred that has taken place up here - and still does.

Would have suited the war criminal’s europhile agenda very well,tosser should be in jail not spouting more drivel.

The same man who the other day said we should put a limit on migrants to our country. He is the reason hundreds of thousands arrived in the first place.The man is a clown

Notice he said that a British football team would have been a step too far, I don't but if there had been a British league then FIFA would have demanded a British national team.

To be fair, FIFA said that about the Olympics.

If " Tony Blair" is advocating this be aware, be very aware. Somebody is going to get injured and he's getting a back hander.
This guy is the " Pied Piper & Pinnochio" rolled into one.

If Tony Blair's interested in it then it's for Tony Blair,nothing or nobody else so fck him and all who sail with him and his fkn cow of a wife.

I have always been disappointed that more politicians,particularly of a unionist hue in Scotland, have not been pushing vigorously for a British league.It is the last thing the nats would want to see happen.

This will be the advice from john reid the terrorist loving ira/celtc politician to ensure more money for the scum.Blair is a lying scum bag.The man who freed hundreds of murdering terrorists.The man who helped his lawyer wife make millions when he opened the doors to illegal immigrants without background checks ensuring the country is polluted with isis scum. %^*& Blair and all he says and does.

Said it for years that it would be a great way for something like the League Cup to go to and renew interest - still an elimination competition - but as a Cup of Britain - avoids most of the issues that a cross border premier league would have.

2m2ffgy.jpg
2m2ffgy.jpg

Tony Blair became "obsessed" with creating a British football league as a way of bringing the UK together, the former prime minister has revealed.

Mr Blair said he believed merging the Scottish and English leagues would strengthen the bonds between the two nations after devolution.

But he said a British national football team would have been a "step too far".

Mr Blair was speaking to BBC Scotland to mark the 20th anniversary of the devolution referendum.

The referendum was held just four months after he led Labour to a landslide victory in the 1997 general election.

Looking back at the referendum - which led to the creation of the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh two years later - and its aftermath, Mr Blair said he believed in retrospect that he could have "looked for more ways to keep Scotland and England culturally aligned".

He told BBC Scotland's political editor Brian Taylor: "I know it sounds a bit strange but I was for a time quite obsessed with the idea that, for example, for football we should be opening up the English league and the Scottish league and having them together.

"I always thought we should be looking at ways of making sure that people felt a connection."

It has often been suggested that Rangers and Celtic in particular could join the far wealthier English league but the idea has never come to fruition - partly because of the lack of widespread support for the move from English teams.

Mr Blair, a Newcastle United fan, said he could still see a "certain logic" in the concept of a combined British league.

But he acknowledged that any proposals for a British team to replace the Scottish, English, Welsh and Northern Irish international teams would be a "step far too far".

He added: "I was looking for ways of making sure that as we in a sense diverged around devolution, that there were elements of convergence and I still think in the future it is important we look for that."

- from the BBC

Back