Tony McGlennon - The Question No One Is Asking.

Del

What qualification does the SFA Compliant Officer have to overule football officiating decisions made on the pitch?

There has been a million words written about his background, his motives and those who he chooses to take his information feed from.

I saw tonight the claim that he looked at the Bowman assault and decided it was a yellow card. Nothing in his CV states that he is in a position to judge what is reckless over what is intentional.

Because a guy has a law degree he is now the overiding authority on officiating?

Here is what the SFA released on his appointment

The Scottish FA is pleased to confirm that Tony McGlennan has been appointed as our new Compliance Officer, replacing the outgoing Vincent Lunny.

Tony joins from the criminal law firm, Penmans, with whom he has been a Partner since 1998, having joined the company in 1996. He is a solicitor advocate who has conducted criminal litigation at all levels of the court structure, including the Appeal Court and the Supreme Court.

Tony has a keen interest in football, having played at amateur level for a number of years. He is currently a volunteer coach to young footballers and holds coaching certificates in the Scottish FA's youth coaching pathway.

Tony will begin his new role next month and engage in a handover period with the outgoing Compliance Officer.

Rangers are right to take them to task and the whole compliant officer charade should be challenged all the way.

What qualification does the SFA Compliant Officer have to overule football officiating decisions made on the pitch?

There has been a million words written about his background, his motives and those who he chooses to take his information feed from.

I saw tonight the claim that he looked at the Bowman assault and decided it was a yellow card. Nothing in his CV states that he is in a position to judge what is reckless over what is intentional.

Because a guy has a law degree he is now the overiding authority on officiating?

Here is what the SFA released on his appointment

The Scottish FA is pleased to confirm that Tony McGlennan has been appointed as our new Compliance Officer, replacing the outgoing Vincent Lunny.

Tony joins from the criminal law firm, Penmans, with whom he has been a Partner since 1998, having joined the company in 1996. He is a solicitor advocate who has conducted criminal litigation at all levels of the court structure, including the Appeal Court and the Supreme Court.

Tony has a keen interest in football, having played at amateur level for a number of years. He is currently a volunteer coach to young footballers and holds coaching certificates in the Scottish FA's youth coaching pathway.

Tony will begin his new role next month and engage in a handover period with the outgoing Compliance Officer.

Rangers are right to take them to task and the whole compliant officer charade should be challenged all the way.

2hf8jva.gif[

Isnt it an incident the ref misses he deals with rather than overruling a decision ?

So he looks at the Bowman incident and decides its reckless and no more than a yellow card. Maybe any bears who have studied law could point us to the time the attended lectures on the severity of football tackles and the colour of the card that should be shown?

The real story here is if he states it is intentional and worthy of a red then Bowman is open to prosecution for assault.

He would have been directed by his lispy boss to take the easy way out.

If that was ruled unintentional we will have players frightened to go for any headers in the future, for fear of breaking a nose. Might as well just play the game below shoulder height.

It simply shouldn't be down to one man to make the call. The process that leads to a review should be clear and transparent, because if not, the system is open to abuse from individuals, clubs or organisations with their own agendas to pursue.

The system in Scotland is wide open to that potential abuse and those individuals, clubs and organisations with an agenda are taking full advantage. At our expense!

So he looks at the Bowman incident and decides its reckless and no more than a yellow card. Maybe any bears who have studied law could point us to the time the attended lectures on the severity of football tackles and the colour of the card that should be shown?

The real story here is if he states it is intentional and worthy of a red then Bowman is open to prosecution for assault.

No more than a yellow says someone with no insight into how refereeing works. Two yellows=a red therefore one game ban for flying elbowman or maybe not.What are the rules now because I'm lost.

Isnt it an incident the ref misses he deals with rather than overruling a decision ?
That's right. Via the fast track process he can "offer" a punishment rather than have the matter go in front of a judicial panel. His offer can be accepted or declined. In Bruno's case Rangers have declined his offer of a 2 match ban and the incident will now be reviewed by a judicial panel.

Honestly would have thought the Compliance Officer would have been someone who knew the rules of football such as a referee or someone who has lengthy experience of working in football. Can't for the life of me understand why he has to be a lawyer.

The whole organisation is reeking of Timmy. I personally know two guys who work at grass roots level who are Celtic fans. Get an organisation chart and I’ll bet we could place Timmy on nearly every one of them.
We should look to do this. It would be a very visual presentation of the anti Rangers bias and Liewell influence in Scottish football.

That is absolutely incorrect, I contacted the SFA regarding the assault on Oduwa in the Livingston game. The forearm smash to his windpipe by Faria(not the tackle after 7 seconds).
The SFA ignored my repeated correspondence. So I contacted Police Scotland, who said it was up to the football authorities to deal with this matter. I then told them that the football authorities refused to deal with it, so it should be a police matter. They also ignored me.

If need be Rangers should take this to court and the OP's point about his qualifications to make decisions about footballing disciplinary matters should be their main defence

That is absolutely incorrect, I contacted the SFA regarding the assault on Oduwa in the Livingston game. The forearm smash to his windpipe by Faria(not the tackle after 7 seconds).
The SFA ignored my repeated correspondence. So I contacted Police Scotland, who said it was up to the football authorities to deal with this matter. I then told them that the football authorities refused to deal with it, so it should be a police matter. They also ignored me.

You should have asked them why then was it a police matter when Duncan Ferguson was prosecuted for an on the field incident even though he was sent off!:mad: Nothing less than a cop-out ( see what I done there?;))

W.A.T.P.

Bit odd that a referee is over viewed by a lawyer. How odd would it be that a referee intervenes after a court case?

Funny how a player elbows an opposing player and gets a yellow then again elbows an opposing player only this time he breaks the opposing player's nose , referee does nothing at all about it and the compliance officer say's the thug has no case to answer to ? WTF is going on with these clowns ?

Butcher, Woods and McAvennie anyone?

Yes mate, and it was an disgraceful injustice that McAvennie started it and got off while the Rangers players, who happened to also be English, gained a criminal record! Blatant bias and maybe even anti-English racism.:mad:

W.A.T.P.

Well done. We need more of this but as you found out they just ignore awkward questions.

The first one Lunny definitely a Motherwell fan.

That's certainly what he and the SFA put about. Maybe being from Motherwell he had a soft spot for them and maybe he even went to see them on occasion but he also went to see that mob try to kick Porto off the pitch in Seville. A Motherwell man though I'm sure, just like the bold Tony is a Man U man.

Would this guy be a St Aloysius alumni by any chance, if so another Jesuit burrowing into the establishment, after this decision today definitely one to watch.

If you made an official complaint and witnessed the incident, then the police have a duty to investigate it and take a statement from you, If they didn't then you have every right to make an official complaint against the cops.

Assault on a pitch is just the same as on the street, But in the SFA's eyes it can take place in front of thousands of people and even the police themselves and it's not worthy of any punishment, It seems football players are totally immune from prosecution, Then again maybe ask Butcher,Woods and Duncan Ferguson why they were all prosecuted for incidents on the pitch.

Maybe we should have a government enquiry into why police look on and take no action when someone is assaulted and take no action when a member of the public complains about the same assault on the same pitch.

If for example you were assaulted playing junior or amateur football and made a complaint to the cops either as a victim or a witness the cops wouldn't tell you to contact the Scottish junior/amateur football authority because it was nothing to do with them, They would investigate the complaint as they are obliged to under law.

Are the cops and the SFA now saying that any incident no matter how serious is totally immune from investigation or prosecution as long as it's on a football pitch.. That's just bonkers.

That's certainly what he and the SFA put about. Maybe being from Motherwell he had a soft spot for them and maybe he even went to see them on occasion but he also went to see that mob try to kick Porto off the pitch in Seville. A Motherwell man though I'm sure, just like the bold Tony is a Man U man.

He’s a Motherwell fan in the same way Hugh Keevins is a Clydebank fan.

Reactions: TNT

I take your pointtheres another poster on this thre
That's certainly what he and the SFA put about. Maybe being from Motherwell he had a soft spot for them and maybe he even went to see them on occasion but he also went to see that mob try to kick Porto off the pitch in Seville. A Motherwell man though I'm sure, just like the bold Tony is a Man U man.[/
I went to Real vLeverkusen final at Hampden. I don’t support either of them.

The compliance officer is accountable to no one and that is simply wrong.
We should use the English model of three referees , or retired referees to review obvious errors by officials.

He should have been called out over the Simonsen episode.

And at Scott Browns constantly overlooked thuggery.

And the Hibs game early this season.

It's absolutely obvious the guy is in position to do as much damage to our playing squad as possible, while allowing the usual suspects in the game carte blanche to smash us about without punishment.

There are certain decisions he could try to justify,not punishing the elbow on Cardoso despite the player already being warned over a similar action earlier in the game which then resulted in a horrific injury does not fall into that category.
Neither does Punishing Alves for intent but not Moult.(If anything this was a yellow for each player).

The pick and choose as he sees fit set-up is not fit for purpose,more so when you think of the Hivs,Dhims and Murderwell players that are getting away with violent conduct on a regular basis.

What I don’t understand is, if the compliance offer ruled that Bowman’s elbow on Cardoso merited a yellow card, why hasn’t he received a one match ban at least for a second yellow? Given the fact he was already on a yellow for another elbow on Cardoso in the first 10mins IIRC.

Back