Took me back to my youth seeing this, didn't realise she was still here

Remember being on the boat with my old man many many years ago.

He also took me through the old pedestrian tunnel under the Clyde that went between the two Rotundas.

Thank god my old man was a Bluenose and left me with such happy memories of him and I together following the Gers.
That tunnel was something else, i always felt that the Clyde was about to rush in at any moment......couldn't get out of there quick enough!

He also took me through the old pedestrian tunnel under the Clyde that went between the two Rotundas.

Thank god my old man was a Bluenose and left me with such happy memories of him and I together following the Gers.
Likewise used this ferry, and the pedestrian tunnel with my old man as well. Those were the days river was busy as hell with shipping and these wee ferries going to and fro across the river as well.

Like wise my father and I would go back and forth and remember those were the days of heavy shipping to avoid!

Can remember some monster sized ships moored where The Transport Museum now is just along from the ferry rickety steps .

A young woman from Gorbals was so depressed that she decided to end her life by throwing herself into the Clyde, but just before she could throw herself from the docks, a handsome young man stopped her.

"You have so much to live for," said the man. "I'm a sailor, and we are off to New York tomorrow. I can stow you away on my ship. I'll take care of you, bring you food every day, and keep you happy."

With nothing to lose, combined with the fact that she had always wanted to go to NYC the woman accepted.

That night, the sailor brought her aboard and hid her in a small but comfortable compartment in the hold. From then on, every night he would bring her sandwiches, a bottle of red wine, and make love to her until dawn. Three weeks later she was discovered by the Captain during a routine inspection.

"What are you doing here?" asked the Captain.

"I have an arrangement with one of the sailors," she replied. "He brings me food and I get a free trip to America ."

"I see," the Captain said. "Anything else?"

Her conscience got the best of her and she added, with some embarrassment, "Plus, he's screwing me."

"He certainly is," replied the Captain. "This is the Renfrew Ferry."

I used to take it when the Underground was being modernised so it would still be running early 80's
Interesting.
I started a thread on the previous board on this subject and the general opinion was that they’d stopped before my last journey on them.
I know I’m right though.
I was still at school and Joe Craig scored the winner against us in a midweek game at Ibrox.

Interesting.
I started a thread on the previous board on this subject and the general opinion was that they’d stopped before my last journey on them.
I know I’m right though.
I was still at school and Joe Craig scored the winner against us in a midweek game at Ibrox.
100%. I got the 89 from Partick over if it was windy but usually got the ferry until underground opened up again. Need to Google it but I'm sure you must have been 1980 when the Underground reopened

Used it many a time,you basically had to jump on from the steps and remember once it stopped mid crossing, because of shipping traffic, and a Bear(p****d),jumped off .Luckily he was hauled back on board really quickly.
The old tunnel crossing I only went through once,with a guy that I worked with in connection with our work.I told him in no uncertain terms I would never do that again.

I grew up in 1960's Finnieston and during the summer holidays and we scallywags used to use the tunnel to travel to the magical place known as Govan and then as teens to watch Rangers at our beloved Ibrox for first team and reserve fixtures.

Was there on Tuesday with my grandson (6) and telling him the stories above.
I seem to remember they were a brown/beige colour, not blue.

They closed the pedestrian tunnel in 1980 according to some of the websites.

There are also some great pics and details on the various Glasgow history sites.
There was also 2 vehicular tunnels below the pedestrian tunnel, that closed around about WWII. These were filled in for the Garden Festival in 1988. The pedestrian tunnel is still there as it has the water main, but access only for inspection. You used to hear the rats scurrying about behind the water pipe when you walked through.

Can remember being on it and it felt like it was nearly as jammed as the subway at times.

Great memories.

Interesting.
I know I’m right though.
joe craig goal, it was a foggy night couldn't see the broomloan goal from the copland terrace.

Latest posts

Back