Top Irish League clubs set to back move to summer football

Really hope this does not happen. Think it will kill the crowds
For all the bandsmen you'll have regular weekend travellers to EPL/SPL matches free as potential new supporters

I think it will help, probably need to cancellations the July fortnight night tho and call it " European preparations"

Shite move but I can see why

I played junior football and the games kicked off at 2pm, meaning a hell of a lot of potential spectators couldn't go to local games as they were playing football for their teams.

At least this would give 2 or 3 months of them having nothing else to do on a Saturday

Last few years the Irish league has been getting increased crowds. Most games at ballymena showgrounds this season has been over the 1000 mark which ain’t bad for a small part time league

That's with use doing well though

Larne Carrick Ballymena and Coleraine next year should be good all the same

Last few years the Irish league has been getting increased crowds. Most games at ballymena showgrounds this season has been over the 1000 mark which ain’t bad for a small part time league
Mate I remember going up to ballymena when following the Glens and we had more than 2000 travelling.
The product is getting worse and that’s what turns people off. You only needed to watch last weeks play off between the rancid rebels and Glentoran. The standard was shocking. The pitch shocking and facilities shocking.
Simply rearranging the calendar isn’t going to change that.

Mate I remember going up to ballymena when following the Glens and we had more than 2000 travelling.
The product is getting worse and that’s what turns people off. You only needed to watch last weeks play off between the rancid rebels and Glentoran. The standard was shocking. The pitch shocking and facilities shocking.
Simply rearranging the calendar isn’t going to change that.

Thing is tho nowadays people have the luxury of cheaper travel to England and Scotland for games and also the “armchair fans” who think being a supporter of a team is watching it on the tv at home or in a pub.

Still think crowds are healthy enough for a part time league given the other distractions now.

I’m a rangers fan first and foremost but when I’m not at Ibrox il be following ballymena up and down the country. Have no time at all for the English Premiership

Don't have much of an interest in Irish League but Glenavon would be my team. I'd probably actually go to a few matches in the summer if this goes ahead.

Can only be a good thing, helped a lot of league of Ireland teams to go full time with better attendances.
Can have a mid season break for 2/3 weeks in July.

Been saying it for a while that we move to summer football in the Irish league,as my thinking was we would maybe pick up fans who travel across the water and need their football fix when the SPL and EPL seasons Finnish.
I know it probably won't happen but Sunday games I think would another avenue to put forward.
Maybe get a bit more money of sky,showing the odd game on a Sunday afternoon.
Either way I'll be watching Linfield what ever is decided.

Back