Top Scorers in Serie A - 1997-98

mdingwall

Administrator
Screen-Shot-2020-09-25-at-18-14-28.png

Some top quality players on that list. How many of them ever faced the famous?
I know Del Piero faced us in the CL did any the others play against us?

Christian Vieri was a favourite of mine, misses out on that list as he played for Atletico Madrid that season scoring 24 in 24 games for them before returning to Italy with Lazio.

Christian Vieri was a favourite of mine, misses out on that list as he played for Atletico Madrid that season scoring 24 in 24 games for them before returning to Italy with Lazio.
Played against us in the 2008 UC Semi.

If memory serves, Beirhoff, Ronaldo, Batistuta & Montella were all linked with us at one point or another.

It's not just recently that Scottish journalistic standards have plummeted.

Wonder how many of them could cope with a cold, wet, Tuesday night in Barnsley though...............

I've mentioned this previously,but Italy produced an insane amount of talented number 10's [if that's how you'd describe them] during a period of 10/15 years. Baggio, Del Piero, Zola, Totti, Mancini. Without wishing to derail the thread you could have a good FF thread picking the best of that outstanding bunch.

Luis Oliveira? Did he play with Fiorentina? Like many others, such fond memories of Serie A during the Channel 4 coverage in the 90s.

Over the past 30 years, Italy and Spain are the only two leagues to have a genuine claim on being the best in the world.

When you look at that above list, the EPL has just never had that depth of pure quality. It's had some great players, sure. And is considered one of the best leagues, but it has never made that step to be the definitive best. Same with Germany. Great players, but it never had a roster of outstanding talent like that seen in Italy 90s or Spain 2000s onwards.

How many of these players graced the pitch at Ibrox?

thats some list there. Christ, 27 goals in a season in serie a was a feat in itself!!

I miss Italian football from the 90s. The best league in the world by a country mile for the best part of 15 years.

Over the past 30 years, Italy and Spain are the only two leagues to have a genuine claim on being the best in the world.

When you look at that above list, the EPL has just never had that depth of pure quality. It's had some great players, sure. And is considered one of the best leagues, but it has never made that step to be the definitive best. Same with Germany. Great players, but it never had a roster of outstanding talent like that seen in Italy 90s or Spain 2000s onwards.

Correct. You just have to look at the best players in the world over that time period. Whether it be Baggio, R9, Ronaldinho and Messi to name a few who were, a their peak easily considered the best footballer in the world.

Only really Cristiano Ronaldo can really be considered in the bracket over past 20 years and I don't think he was at his best whilst in England. Possibly Thierry Henry as well, who was frightening at his peak.

That was a mental season in serie A with Juve and Inter going head to head.

They had what was pretty much a title decider and it was live on C4.

Crazy game, but my clearest memory was Inter attacking and the linesman was not running along the touch line - he was running along the 18 yard box! I have never found footage to confirm this and none of my friends remember this. Am I making it up?

Yet Baggio still did not start France 98 as first choice no10 for Italy, crazy decision by Maldini Snr! If only he scored that volley in golden goal extra-time against the home Nation...

That was a mental season in serie A with Juve and Inter going head to head.

They had what was pretty much a title decider and it was live on C4.

Crazy game, but my clearest memory was Inter attacking and the linesman was not running along the touch line - he was running along the 18 yard box! I have never found footage to confirm this and none of my friends remember this. Am I making it up?
Inter were denied a stonewall penalty and then Juve went straight up the pitch and were awarded one. The Inter players went nuts. They've always been rivals but that embittered it even further. Can't remember the bit about the linesman though.

Looks like my wish list for my master league team for International Superstar Soccer !!!!

Seriously though , what a list - imagine the ££££ involved for those players today , Baggio and Ronaldo( original and best) my favourites , still have the Baggio diadoras somewhere in the garage I’m sure!!

Didn’t this end up with politicians having a square go in the Italian parliament or did I imagine that?
It did mate. Del Piero actually missed the penalty, and if I remember inter then had a goal chopped off after it :D

You just can't beat Serie A for drama.

Looks like my wish list for my master league team for International Superstar Soccer !!!!

Seriously though , what a list - imagine the ££££ involved for those players today , Baggio and Ronaldo( original and best) my favourites , still have the Baggio diadoras somewhere in the garage I’m sure!!
Pretty sure Inter had Ronaldo, Vieri, Recoba and Baggio as striking options all at one time. And won nothing.

Back